Handicapped Balcony Cabin Pictures (Dawn)

joetrizeo

So often I see people asking for pictures of handicapped rooms frusterated by the sheer lack of them that I decited to post mine since I was lucky enough to book a GTY BALCONY and end up in a handicapped one!

Neither my GF nor myself are handicapped so we can't comment on the usefullness of the facilities but I would recommend handicapped rooms to anyone, they're so roomy!

BTW, to get in and out of the balcony with a wheelchair there was a removable metal ramp that could be placed on either side of the base of the sliding glass door. I did not get a picture of it but it was outside on our balcony.

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

Neither my GF nor myself are handicapped so we can't comment on the usefullness of the facilities but I would recommend handicapped rooms to anyone, they're so roomy!

I guess not all the handicapped rooms were booked so NCL assigned it to you as a guarantee. I am surprised. I usually have to book a year in advance to be able to get a handicapped room for my disabled Mom.

Great Pics...don't like the post in the middle of the room

Please do not ask for a HC room if you don't need it

Being in a wheelchair it is hard enough to get a room that works for your needs.

Not bashing the OP they were given the room..did not request a HC room

They say that they're handicapped accessible, but WTH is a pole doing in the middle of the room?? I can only imagine the poor souls in wheelchairs/walkers trying to maneuver around it. :eek:

there was more than enough space w/ the pole.

by the nature of the camera, the room appears smaller. IE it looks like the bed is blocking the balcony door when in fact it's not.

the pole is present as a structural component of the ship and I can not confirm or deny that they exist in every handicapped room, just the one we had ;)

Read the cries for a handicapped room from some with a wheelchair, they can't get them and they need them, (under thread about disabled travelers), please don't book these rooms if you don't need them.

there was more than enough space w/ the pole.

Handicapped cruisers don't care about a pole in there cabin they are just happy to be able to get a cabin that lets them cruise. Handicapped cabins are the only cabins that have wider doors so a wheelchair or mobility device can get through. Regular cabins are useless to us as handicapped cruisers cant even get in them.

Sorry Joe us handicapped cruisers don't mean to flame you as you did nothing wrong.........NCL gave you the cabin. However, I don't sit well with recommending it to "anyone"

as if i have to defend myself...

recommended to anyone meaning if you get it great, be happy. not saying go out and book it even tho you're not handicapped. jeeze i'm not a cold hearted as whole.

if the pics are causing more hate than help i'll take them down.

• 3 years later...

I know this thread is 4 years old, but I just booked a handicapped cabin with a balcony on the Dawn for a cruise to Bermuda. I use a wheelchair, and would really like to see how the room is set up. Are the photos still available somewhere?

Thanks,

Dave

Hmm. I count as handicapped, with 8 herniated discs, degenerative disc disease, and a multitude of other related ailments, but I"m not in a wheelchair. I do, however, use a cane depending on whether I'm having a bad day or not. I'm wondering whether I should request a handicapped room when i book my cruise or leave it for someone who might need it for a wheelchair. On the one hand, I feel like I should take advantage of the room if I can, on the other, I don't want to potentially take a room from someone worse off than me. I know how hard it is to get around with the damned cane and the sciatica acting up, or a migraine hitting from the 4 discs in the neck, so I'm sympathetic to anyone who may need one worse than me. But then again if I don't request it, someone who doesn't need it may end up with it... any advice?

I know this thread is 4 years old, but I just booked a handicapped cabin with a balcony on the Dawn for a cruise to Bermuda. I use a wheelchair, and would really like to see how the room is set up. Are the photos still available somewhere?

Thanks,

Dave

Here's a link to a thread from a few months ago. Scroll to post#6 and you'll find a link to pictures of handicap balcony room 11116. It's basicaly a double wide balcony cabin with 2 sliders out to balcony. Roll-in bathroom & shower.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1377028&highlight=11116

You didn't specify which HC cabin you've booked. I hope that this helps.

Hmm. I count as handicapped, with 8 herniated discs, degenerative disc disease, and a multitude of other related ailments, but I"m not in a wheelchair. I do, however, use a cane depending on whether I'm having a bad day or not. I'm wondering whether I should request a handicapped room when i book my cruise or leave it for someone who might need it for a wheelchair. On the one hand, I feel like I should take advantage of the room if I can, on the other, I don't want to potentially take a room from someone worse off than me. I know how hard it is to get around with the damned cane and the sciatica acting up, or a migraine hitting from the 4 discs in the neck, so I'm sympathetic to anyone who may need one worse than me. But then again if I don't request it, someone who doesn't need it may end up with it... any advice?

I believe the handicapped cabin is for someone in a wheelchair. I see a ramp and it's a room that can easily handle a wheelchair, maybe a midship cabin near an elevator would be a good choice for you?

I believe the handicapped cabin is for someone in a wheelchair. I see a ramp and it's a room that can easily handle a wheelchair, maybe a midship cabin near an elevator would be a good choice for you?

hmmmm, yes, someone in a wheelchair is handicapped AND someone who walks with a cane is handicapped too. If Steve defines himself as so based on the information he presented he is.

Have you ever tried to open a bathroom door in the middle of the night with a cane in one hand, arthritic knees, DJD, chronic back issues and tried to STEP-UP just so you could pee? Not easy. The handicapped accessible rooms do not have threshold steps. If Steve determines he need it, let him be. Wheelchair bound is not the only definition of handicapped.

Edited by Kathyh1313

Well I won't weigh in on whether you should or shouldn't utilize a handicapped cabin for your needs. I also have no idea whether besides the extra room, what benefits that it would serve for your difficulties, only you and the accessability desk at NCL can decide that.

My post is strictly to make an observation. You mention difficulty walking on your bad days and I'm not sure of the locations of some of these handicapped rooms which appear to be quite a distance from the elevators. With walking difficulties would it not be more beneficial to make sure that your cabin was closer to a central elevator so you do not have to maneuver those narrow hallways with a cane. Once you get on the main deck there are plenty of places to sit and rest if needed before going farther to your destination, but on the cabin floors you just have one very long narrow hallway.

I only make this point because my mother had a degenerating disease with total osteo-arthritis. She had many stages to this from a limp, to a quad cane, to walker, to wheelchair. At each stage of her mobile difficulties she required different needs. A handicapped room at her stage of cane and walker would have been outweighed by needing closer to her destinations. We also used this same process when using handicapped parking. Until she was in a wheelchair, parking close to a door was paramount, but once she was in a wheelchair (since it unloaded from the back of her van and didn't require the extra space around the vehicle), we parked in regular parking leaving those spaces to someone who had walking difficulties. So I think it is a case of accessing your own needs at this time.

Edited by che5904

Thanks for all of your responses so far. I'm going to be in cabin 10200 on the Dawn. I've heard there's a pole in the middle of the room, and I was hoping to see how much of a hindrance it will be.

I didn't mean to start a debate over the appropriateness of requesting a handicapped cabin; however, in reading through this and similar forums, I've seen that it doesn't take much to get that debate going. For my two cents, I would say that anyone for whom the modifications of a handicapped cabin (no thresholds, wider doors, accessible bathroom) are a necessity should be able to use them. There are only about 20 cabins on a ship that I, as a wheelchair user, can even stay in. Those cabins should be reserved for people who need them. It's up to the individual to determine if his or her disability constitutes a necessity.

Able bodied persons who intentionally book these rooms far in advance just for the space should be left at the dock. I have no problem with the cruise lines opening unbooked handicapped cabins to the general public within 30 days or so of the cruise, but I shouldn't have to book over a year in advance just to make sure I can get a spot. As for those able bodied people who think that they can book a handicapped cabin and the cruise line will just bump them if someone needs it, that's a joke. Someone who truly needs a handicapped cabin would never book a regular cabin and hope that they can switch. There's far too much risk involved with that.

Again, thanks for all the responses so far.

Dave

Thanks for all of your responses so far. I'm going to be in cabin 10200 on the Dawn. I've heard there's a pole in the middle of the room, and I was hoping to see how much of a hindrance it will be.

I didn't mean to start a debate over the appropriateness of requesting a handicapped cabin; however, in reading through this and similar forums, I've seen that it doesn't take much to get that debate going. For my two cents, I would say that anyone for whom the modifications of a handicapped cabin (no thresholds, wider doors, accessible bathroom) are a necessity should be able to use them. There are only about 20 cabins on a ship that I, as a wheelchair user, can even stay in. Those cabins should be reserved for people who need them. It's up to the individual to determine if his or her disability constitutes a necessity.

Able bodied persons who intentionally book these rooms far in advance just for the space should be left at the dock. I have no problem with the cruise lines opening unbooked handicapped cabins to the general public within 30 days or so of the cruise, but I shouldn't have to book over a year in advance just to make sure I can get a spot. As for those able bodied people who think that they can book a handicapped cabin and the cruise line will just bump them if someone needs it, that's a joke. Someone who truly needs a handicapped cabin would never book a regular cabin and hope that they can switch. There's far too much risk involved with that.

Dave

I never read the posts before yours because they were old news. But I truthfully don't see a debate since yours. I see one post that I believe that probably was misunderstood. As my post above stated, not that anyone should or shouldn't use it, but that poster imparticular may find one closer to the elevator was of more benefit to them.

Dave

Dave,

If you can switch to 11116, it has no pole, it's right outside an elevator which appears to lead directly to the buffet, main dining rooms, atrium, and pool area. It has an automatic door opener (maybe they all do), and a ramp to the double wide, and deeper balcony (because it's on the mini-suite deck). A previous poster said the pole wasn't a hinderance, but the location & deeper balcony of 11116 might be an extra bonus for you.

Didn't mean to hijack the post, but thanks for the input from all who did respond. I have days where I walk fine without the cane, others where I can barely take a step even with it, it all depends on how my back feels that day. To make matters worse, because I am in my mid 40s and used to work out regularly, I don't look disabled, so people often misconstrue me as being completely healthy and just rude if for example I don't offer my seat to someone older or female (which I used to do before I became hurt). I will consider everyone's advice, and probably try to get a mid-ship cabin when I book my trip. I'm going to upgrade to a balcony room, possibly even a mini-suite, and I think that it makes sense to be centrally located rather than worry about a step, which might be difficult some days, but will probably be easier than having to walk the length of the ship on bad days.

I will consider everyone's advice, and probably try to get a mid-ship cabin when I book my trip. I'm going to upgrade to a balcony room, possibly even a mini-suite, and I think that it makes sense to be centrally located rather than worry about a step, which might be difficult some days, but will probably be easier than having to walk the length of the ship on bad days.

You will probably be glad you got something central.

BTW I've never had an older uncomfortable bed on NCL, but I have heard others that have still gotten the old style beds that haven't been changed yet. Check you bed as soon as you enter your cabin to make sure the comfort is good for you (I know how that can really affect a back with issues). If not request from your cabin steward an egg crate or 2 depending on your need. Apparently they go quite quickly so I wouldn't wait until you are ready for bed.

Happy cruising

My mom can walk with a cane, but sometimes it can be quite difficult. For our last cruise on sister ship Star, we rented a wheelchair from a local medical supply house, very reasonable!

Our stateroom was not accessible but it was not a problem for her to get in the cabin with her cane. We just collapsed the chair to take it in the room.

The ship is easy to maneuver with a chair and that way you would always have the option if needed.

Have a wonderful cruise!

i took an upsell from an hc balcony to an hc suite aft-9672 on the gem last week. i was very happy with the aft becuase all the meals were a short walk to the elevator and then i could progress to the pool. of course,i had to use the KIDS pool becuase there were no steps in to the adult pool.( i just don't get that but that's a rant for another day and not just ncl.) the aft cabin was AWESOME!!! so spacious,the bed wonderful,bathroom huge with grab bars everywhere and NO step!! that step has ruined a couple of cruises for me. i never did have the urge to go to the other end of the ship as "the green mile" of cabins was daunting. might be time to rent a wheelchair next time. our concierge did help us off the ship with one several times and that was a blessing. we had a desk area and a vanity area as well as a couch,chairs and a small coffee table. the deck was great-2 chairs,small table and a comfortable chaise. was able to book the original cabin only a month in advance. they did call me the day before to see if i was able-bodied and willing to give up the cabin. hated to say no....but had to. i have a relative who boasts about getting hc cabins w/o needing them. a pox on him!

Thanks for all your bits of advice. I'll try to remember the bit about the egg crates in particular, since i"m used to memory foam. I'm thinking of upgrading to a suite if it's affordable enough. As far as the wheelchair, I was in a beach accident some years ago, body surfing. Before that I worked out almost every day. So dealing with being disabled has been a bit tough, and I don't know if I would be able to mentally wrap my head around the idea of using a wheelchair to get around. I'm only 43! I know it's dumb to think that way, but I'd almost rather be stuck in my room than be caught in the wheelchair, although I do have to consider surgery even though the docs say it is a 50 50 shot that it will do any good at all for my back. The suites have the butler thing going on, so you can get breakfast every day in the room, and snacks and juices and stuff left for you, which is a great thing for someone like me, who may have a tough time walking w/ the cane and whatever goodies I wanna bring back to the room. If I'm having a good week, it may be a non-issue though.

On a lighter note, I did get my passport in the mail today, so I'm stoked about that!