All things Jewel of the Seas!

Thought I'd bring this forward to see if there is new info about the Jewel out there. Can anyone tell me if they continue to serve the new seafood menu at the Seaview? Hope not, hate fried food.

We sail on 11/7/8 to the Panama Canal and can't wait.

I'm on the Jewel 7/22 (50 days...I'm so excited!!!) I'm interested in the answer too. Not a problem with fried food, I just hope they have those wonderful burgers, dogs and onion rings available that I loved so much on the Radiance!

• 4 weeks later...
According to recent posts, the Seaview is now all seafood! :(

I have seen the same on the boards. Last time I was on the Brilliance it was pizza, pasta, and sandwiches. I will miss that. I haven't seen anything though on whether it is all fried foods. I go to seaview because of the seaview, so I am sure I will find something to eat there.

Carolyn

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Baltic sailing June 27.

The Sea Shack is almost all seafood. It was the best food and service on the ship. Try everything.

The ship is visually dull. The art is bad. Things are very cramped. The best spot is the schooner bar provided the pianist isn't playing or the solarium. The dining room is very very cramped.

The rooms are reasonable on the balcony 9th floor. The 10th floor had several sewage leaks and we could smell it badly on the 9th floor.

Rob Sugar should be the new cruise director. If he is, tell him Arthur says hello. He is very good.

Avoid the art auction at all costs. It is vastly overpriced and they sell the same prints on every cruise.

The wine tasting was very nice if you have a coupon. They actually poured a reasonable amount of wine.

The Platinum wine package is the best deal. Only order the Danzante Pinot Grigio and the Rioja and the Cline Zinfandel (which may be bad, so be sure to taste it--we had 2 vinegar bottles out of 6).

Dining room food is mediocre. No room in Windjammer. Way too many people at breakfast and not enough tables. Make sure somebody stays with your food in the Windjammer or the staff will simply remove it and clear the table. This happened to many people.

BaccaratBoy-

You are the first person I have heard say the Jewel is "visually dull" and it certainly wasn't when I was on it in 2006, somehow doubt it has changed that much in two years. Sounds like you just didn't like much at all about the ship, sorry that happened to you but I still can't wait for our cruise this November on her. We've been on several Celebrity and RCCL ships and Jewel is by far the prettiest, friendliest of them all.

Re: The Windjammer-food left unattended on a table SHOULD be picked up for safety reasons these days, sad but true....

Very sorry the Seaview is now all seafood. DH is allergic and I HATE fried food except for Onion Rings, so guess we won't be visiting it this time.

Again, sorry you didn't like the Jewel but you appear to be VERY much in the minority!!!

Yes to cooking demonstration. One the June 3rd sailing they showcased a salmon dish. They also had a "fun" food contest featuring a black forest cake, the CD, the Head Chef and a passenger. Quite funny.

I don't remember a Beatles show. Elton John, Magician, a violinist, Motown group, Cirque look alike, Broadway show, Tango and others yes.

Enjoy!

We were on the Baltic sailing June 27.

The Sea Shack is almost all seafood. It was the best food and service on the ship. Try everything.

The ship is visually dull. The art is bad. Things are very cramped. The best spot is the schooner bar provided the pianist isn't playing or the solarium. The dining room is very very cramped.

The rooms are reasonable on the balcony 9th floor. The 10th floor had several sewage leaks and we could smell it badly on the 9th floor.

Rob Sugar should be the new cruise director. If he is, tell him Arthur says hello. He is very good.

Avoid the art auction at all costs. It is vastly overpriced and they sell the same prints on every cruise.

The wine tasting was very nice if you have a coupon. They actually poured a reasonable amount of wine.

The Platinum wine package is the best deal. Only order the Danzante Pinot Grigio and the Rioja and the Cline Zinfandel (which may be bad, so be sure to taste it--we had 2 vinegar bottles out of 6).

Dining room food is mediocre. No room in Windjammer. Way too many people at breakfast and not enough tables. Make sure somebody stays with your food in the Windjammer or the staff will simply remove it and clear the table. This happened to many people.

Sounds like we should cancel our B2B!

I wouldn't do that. We were on the same cruise as Baccaratboy & disagree with him on it. We had a great cruise. It's a really pretty ship, the staff are great and friendly. Sure the Windjammer is busy but we always managed to find a table. Seafood Shack was ok but mainly fried food. There are some soups too. Did find the MyTime dining a bit crowded but think it's because of the large # of tables for 2. Checfk out the reviews & don't just go by what one person says.

Do they still have the My Time Dining on the Jewel? Does anyone know anything else about it?

They just introduced it on the Jewel a few weeks ago, so I am sure they still have it. What specific questions do you have about it? :)

Sounds like we should cancel our B2B!

I'm hoping that this was said in a sarcastic vein. Otherwise I need to ask:

Would you really cancel a cruise based on one negative review, especially one where many of the negative comments are based on subjective opinions on such topics as art?:confused: Unless the Sea Shack menu is a major reason that you booked or you have similar tastes in art to the person who dissed it, and those two factors are uppermost in the things which will cause you to love or hate your cruise, I think that I would give the ship a chance to change your opinion. We have had several cruises on Jewel of the Seas and, as you can see from my signature, have several more booked for the future. I will survive even if I can't find anything on the Sea Shack menu that doesn't appeal to me and I fully expect to have wonderful cruises over the next sixteen or so months.:rolleyes:

We were on this "Jewel" of a ship in February 2008 and plan to be on her again in March of 2010. This is by far our favorite ship and the best cabin we have ever had, including a mini suite on the Sun Princess. Cabin 9576 is a balcony hump cabin. The locatin by the library is awesome and the balcony is exta large with a big covering. It is the quietest cabin we have ever had and can't wait to be in it again.

The staff on the Jewel was outstanding!

This is a MUST READ!!! If you have not read the review from the SSQQ Dance Studio for their Canada/New England cruise here is the link...

http://www.ssqq.com/travel/newengland200608.htm

It is by far the wildest review I have ever read. While I sympathize with the writer on some of his points, I have to admit I almost wet my pants because I was laughing so hard while reading. His writing is brilliantly hysterical!

Sorry if you all have seen this before... I just stumbled across it.

This is a MUST READ!!! If you have not read the review from the SSQQ Dance Studio for their Canada/New England cruise here is the link...

http://www.ssqq.com/travel/newengland200608.htm

It is by far the wildest review I have ever read. While I sympathize with the writer on some of his points, I have to admit I almost wet my pants because I was laughing so hard while reading. His writing is brilliantly hysterical!

Sorry if you all have seen this before... I just stumbled across it.

Thanks for the link, Chris. I don't think I have ever read a review quite like it and at times didn't know whether to laugh or cry. His experience is certainly different from any we have ever had on the Jewel or any other cruise for that matter, although our tendering experience in Puerto Amador on our Dawn Princess Panama Canal Cruise was a close approximation of his experience in Martha's Vineyard. Some of his remarks are a bit puzzling since he claims to have had previous cruises on RCI. For example he seemed to be so unfamiliar with the guest surveys forms that he didn't notice that he didn't receive one until another guest mentioned them. We have always received the forms and had we experienced a cruise such as he described, we would have been sure to look for and fill out that survey.:rolleyes: Quite a read though.:D

The second night of the cruise will most likely be the first formal night and the next to last night onboard is usually the other formal night.:) You should be able to confirm those nights when you board but those are typically the nights that are designated as formal. Sometimes the itinerary of a particular cruise will cause them to adjust which nights are formal but if those two dates are when you are at sea all day, those are most likely to be the ones chosen.:)

Do you have to have a reservation each day for My Time Dining or can you just walk up to the restaurant and be seated like on Princess? Which deck of the ship is the My Time Dining on Jewel of the Seas? Also, does anyone know what type of fried foods are served at the Seaview Cafe and are there any desserts available?

Thanks.