life boat drills and disabled passengers

bamabobb

My mother is going on a cruise this year. She needs a walker to get around and I just can't see her climbing stairs during the life boat drill. I've only cruised once so far, and I thought I was being clever by getting to my muster station BEFORE the alarm sounded, but from there we still had to walk up 3 flights to get to the life boats.

How do they handle the drill for passengers who are unable to navigate stairs?

This can also be a very upsetting time for children with autism. They don't handle large crowds, loud noises and chaos very well. We are always the last ones to arrive at drills ... unless I know ahead of time it is just a matter of sitting in a lounge. Then we arrive early and sit by the door.

The first thing I check is my Muster Station letter to find out where we are gathering.

Bob,

I don't know what line she's sailing, but be sure that her online information reflects that she will need help to get to the Muster Drill.

Each ship has crew to help passengers who can't walk the stairs.

Sept of 06 I did a 10 day cruise in a back brace that ran from under my arms to my waist. I let the cruise line know a head of time (weeks ahead of time) and made arrangements to use the elevators.

I still have problems with my back and climbing stairs. Most cruise lines shut the elevators down about 15 minutes before the drill. So I usually go down 30 to 40 minutes before and find a place to just sit. If not in the area assigned to me, on the same deck.

After the drill is a nightmare. Everyone is trying to get on the elevators to go back to their cabin to toss the life jackets. So again, I find a place to just sit and let the rush pass by me.

Good luck and don't stress about it.

If she gets to her muster station about 10 minutes before the drill begins, she won't have a problem. They won't make a disabled person walk flights of stairs. I'm disabled and in all my cruises, they've been very accommodating. Just make sure the crew knows she's disabled and IF there is a real emergency, they will have crew assigned to assist her.

Yes, let the crew know your special requirements. On the last ship I have been on, there was even a designated muster station specifically for people with wheel chairs and other most severe walking difficulties. Crew was designated to get passengers there and, in a real emergiency, to and into the boats.

People with existing but not such severe problems could use the elevators.

Procedures will vary from ship to ship, in any case it is advisable to know what the right thing is to do on the specific ship. If you are slower than most, it will be even more important to be familiar with the route to take when the emegiency bells sound for real.

Hi I use a scooter. Here is what I do. Once I board I go to the Purser/Front Desk and tell them to ensure I am on the disabled list. I go to my cabin and find out my location for the drill. During the time before the drill I locate where I am to go. There is always an elevator available for the drill (not during a real emeergency). I go do the drill.

If there is a real emergency there will be crew assisigned to her and they will get her to where she needs to be. I talked at length with one Hotel Director about this. He said that they have practice this several times including carrying disabled pax up stairs. I have been told that my scooter would be left behind but I would be permitted my elbow canes. Walkers would be allowed but if push came to shove it will always be people before property.

For those who have back problems they will try to use strechers (they have them hidden throughout the ships). These people will be placed in the aisles in the lifeboats if they can not sit without support (ie electric wheelchair users). It is expected that those who are disabled have someone with them to aid as well or can give instruction as the crew do not know the medical condition of every pax.

There will be no smoking in the lifeboats as some people could have breathing problems.

We traveled for years with to very elderly family members. As it was obvious they would need assistance when we arrived at the ship, as time passed and the cruise lines got to know us, I had fewer concerns about needing to ask for help.

On their last cruise when they were really frail, Holland America staff took special care that they were as comfortable as possible including making sure that their lifeboat station was an inside lounge with plenty of comfortable seating. We made sure to arrive early and depart after the rush and never had any problems.

One less thing to worry about!

Archived