The Dream? Or the Nightmare? (or why I may give up cruising?)

SailorJack

Can't make stuff like this up!

Sometimes real life is funnier than anything you can imagine. Sounds a lot like my first cruise around Australia where everything and anything that could go wrong did including printing the wrong date on shore excursion tickets! Must state for the record that it was not an NCL cruise. Did we enjoy the cruise? Yes! And all the stories we had to tell everyone back home. Get a generous future cruise credit didn't hurt either!

MARAPRINCE

Looks like you were able to make lemonade out of lemons. The cruise credit was a bonus. On our cruise, as I recall, we paid $799 for the trip and by the time it was over we had received (to the best of my recollection) around $801 in refunded port fees, refunds for the problems, and OBC.

As I always say, the worst day at sea in better than the best day at work.:)

Jack

Thank you so much for this wonderful laugh! I see it's been a few years, but great writing is timeless :D

It has been a few years.:D Every time I see this pop up I think of Groucho Marx's quote, "If I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself."

If I had known that this review would be around this long I would have taken a little bit more care with my typos and syntax.

Jack

I enjoyed your humor.

I suppose Murphy's Law prevails every once in a while on a cruise. Did Carnival provide you with any compensation or cruise credit on another cruise for missing ports?

I disagree with you comments about Buenos Aires. We spend four full days there prior to our Celebrity Infinity cruise in 2014. It is not Paris or London, but the city does have its charm. We had plenty to do in our time there and loved the people, cuisine and sites. Also, we saw a great tango show.

We had a steak that was probably the best ever. Also, BA is not expensive. I hope the new government can bring the country back from high inflation and widespread corruption that has hurt the country for decades.

Here is our review of our great cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=248878

SailorJack and to whoever resurrected your review - THANK YOU!!! I thought I was going to have a boring lunch hour today but instead was cracking up at my desk!!!

I can't wait to share this with my husband. I had a visual of the kitchen staff fishing off the back of the boat for the night's dinner and I almost fell off my chair.

You are super-talented. Do you have any other reviews I could read?

Regards to SailorJill!!

Edited by DeeT

I enjoyed your humor.

I suppose Murphy's Law prevails every once in a while on a cruise. Did Carnival provide you with any compensation or cruise credit on another cruise for missing ports?

I disagree with you comments about Buenos Aires. We spend four full days there prior to our Celebrity Infinity cruise in 2014. It is not Paris or London, but the city does have its charm. We had plenty to do in our time there and loved the people, cuisine and sites. Also, we saw a great tango show.

We had a steak that was probably the best ever. Also, BA is not expensive. I hope the new government can bring the country back from high inflation and widespread corruption that has hurt the country for decades.

Here is our review of our great cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=248878

The cruise line was most generous in recompense. As I recall, we spent $799 for the cruise. By the time we received various compensation the total was a little over $800 - which made for a free cruise except for the gratuities.

I agree that BA is a charming city - you will have to overlook the literary license I took to describe our visit there.:)

SailorJack and to whoever resurrected your review - THANK YOU!!! I thought I was going to have a boring lunch hour today but instead was cracking up at my desk!!!

I can't wait to share this with my husband. I had a visual of the kitchen staff fishing off the back of the boat for the night's dinner and I almost fell off my chair.

You are super-talented. Do you have any other reviews I could read?

Regards to SailorJill!!

Glad you enjoyed it. I have now done 16 reviews and links to them are in my signature. If you "signature" turned off you will have to turn it back on to see the links. Hope you enjoy them as well.

Jack

I have no plans to go on that cruise anytime soon, but I was quickly intrigued by your review! You have got to be a writer! I am new to cruise critic, but that was a classic! I am glad you got back safe. Thank you for an enjoyable read!

I have no plans to go on that cruise anytime soon, but I was quickly intrigued by your review! You have got to be a writer! I am new to cruise critic, but that was a classic! I am glad you got back safe. Thank you for an enjoyable read!

Thanks... glad you enjoyed it. Even though our trip had a little excitement - even when we were adrift in the South Atlantic we never felt unsafe. Maybe a little nervous...but :D

Hey SailorJack- the day before our most recent cruise (last Sunday) I was reading your reviews out loud to my husband. Normally he is more than happy to tune out the sound of my voice- but he could not get enough of your reviews. We laughed and laughed and laughed. And anytime something nutso ridiculous happened on the cruise, we would look at each other and say "I wonder what SailorJack would think". Your wit and levity taught us to view things with humor and to appreciate the unexpected. ( my latest favorite was an irate mother whose Jasmine outfit- yes hers not the kid's- didn't quite match the Disney Jasmine's costume. The mom swore like a sailor that Disney was wrong and she was going to seek legal damages for the mismatched turquoise coloring because Disney purposefully set out to make her look bad). Thank you Jack!

Hey SailorJack- the day before our most recent cruise (last Sunday) I was reading your reviews out loud to my husband. Normally he is more than happy to tune out the sound of my voice- but he could not get enough of your reviews. We laughed and laughed and laughed. And anytime something nutso ridiculous happened on the cruise, we would look at each other and say "I wonder what SailorJack would think". Your wit and levity taught us to view things with humor and to appreciate the unexpected. ( my latest favorite was an irate mother whose Jasmine outfit- yes hers not the kid's- didn't quite match the Disney Jasmine's costume. The mom swore like a sailor that Disney was wrong and she was going to seek legal damages for the mismatched turquoise coloring because Disney purposefully set out to make her look bad). Thank you Jack!

So glad you enjoyed it.:) The story of Jasmine if funny...I could have had some fun with that one.:)

It really is amazing at some of the things you see on a ship - I wonder sometimes how people can get worked up over the littlest of things. My mantra has always been - The worst day on a cruise is better than the best day at work.

Thanks,

Jack

It was fun to see this one pop up again - it is one of my favorites. When are you going to do another review - it has been awhile.

My latest review - published two weeks ago is on the Carnival board - a one week cruise to Mexico. Next cruise not till next January - a two week cruise to the Philippines, Japan, Taipei, China, Viet Nam and Hong Kong (which I guess is also China:))

My latest review - published two weeks ago is on the Carnival board - a one week cruise to Mexico. Next cruise not till next January - a two week cruise to the Philippines, Japan, Taipei, China, Viet Nam and Hong Kong (which I guess is also China:))

sailor jack,

Here is my review of our cruise from Japan to Hong Kong:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=518503&et_cid=2531924&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

SailorJack, I know you don't have any cruises planned until your Asia cruise, but I really must insist you go to Bermuda, like, NOW. I want to read your take on that fabulous slice of paradise. Better yet, my boyfriend (some on this board may be familiar with him at this point) has once again announced a desire to cruise there. He wants to take a different approach this year and try getting a last-minute deal, since the ship with probably the BEST Bermuda itinerary in terms of length and days of the week in-port happens to live in the same place we do. Err... Leave from where we live... Not our apartment, but, you know, the same city. :o

If we do this, it'll be in either September or October, so hurricane season. Definitely fodder for you, right? Enticing? I'll buy you a round? Bermuda makes Goslings Rum! And you have to try their signature drinks.

I have spent two days laughing hysterically at your reviews and have been at extremely high risk of choking on the following:

Risotto

Goldfish crackers

Tea

Water

Risotto again

Air

Also, my friend called me crying the other night and in my determination to cheer her up, I started reading her parts of your reviews. We were both laughing really hard.

An amazing review...thanks. So much really good detail. I have emailed the guide you used in Nagasaki but have not yet heard back. Can you remember how you hooked up with her? Her website says she will meet at Nagasaki Station. How did you get from the terminal to Nagasaki Station?

An amazing review...thanks. So much really good detail. I have emailed the guide you used in Nagasaki but have not yet heard back. Can you remember how you hooked up with her? Her website says she will meet at Nagasaki Station. How did you get from the terminal to Nagasaki Station?

SailorJack,

We joined this tour organized by another cruise critic friend. I suppose she found it on the internet.

The tour guide picked us up were the ship docked. We never went to Nagasaki Station as I recall. We walked and took the streetcars, which was fun. I think you would have to organize you own tour group on the roll call.

:)

SailorJack, I know you don't have any cruises planned until your Asia cruise, but I really must insist you go to Bermuda, like, NOW. I want to read your take on that fabulous slice of paradise. Better yet, my boyfriend (some on this board may be familiar with him at this point) has once again announced a desire to cruise there. He wants to take a different approach this year and try getting a last-minute deal, since the ship with probably the BEST Bermuda itinerary in terms of length and days of the week in-port happens to live in the same place we do. Err... Leave from where we live... Not our apartment, but, you know, the same city. :o

If we do this, it'll be in either September or October, so hurricane season. Definitely fodder for you, right? Enticing? I'll buy you a round? Bermuda makes Goslings Rum! And you have to try their signature drinks.

I have spent two days laughing hysterically at your reviews and have been at extremely high risk of choking on the following:

Risotto

Goldfish crackers

Tea

Water

Risotto again

Air

Also, my friend called me crying the other night and in my determination to cheer her up, I started reading her parts of your reviews. We were both laughing really hard.

Sadly, no plans to visit Bermuda again. I try not to repeat ports, but I did enjoy Bermuda. Your boyfriend sounds like my kind of person as I normally wait till the last minute to book a cruise. Our January cruise in Asia is the longest plan we have ever made. That said, I know you will enjoy Bermuda - it really is a very beautiful place to visit.

Glad you enjoyed the review - but watch out for that Risotto!:)

:)

Sadly, no plans to visit Bermuda again. I try not to repeat ports, but I did enjoy Bermuda. Your boyfriend sounds like my kind of person as I normally wait till the last minute to book a cruise. Our January cruise in Asia is the longest plan we have ever made. That said, I know you will enjoy Bermuda - it really is a very beautiful place to visit.

Glad you enjoyed the review - but watch out for that Risotto!:)

He actually typically likes to plan things out carefully and book what we can in advance, so long as I'm the one doing it all. He'll insist we plan, help for five minutes, and then get sidetracked. Then the night before we leave, he'll panic a bit. Or in the case of last year's cruise, the day before we get into port. He just wants to cruise as cheap as possible this year.

Bermuda is very beautiful. Our only two cruises were the same week, same ship, to Bermuda. One was 2014, the other was 2015.

He actually typically likes to plan things out carefully and book what we can in advance, so long as I'm the one doing it all. He'll insist we plan, help for five minutes, and then get sidetracked. Then the night before we leave, he'll panic a bit. Or in the case of last year's cruise, the day before we get into port. He just wants to cruise as cheap as possible this year.

Bermuda is very beautiful. Our only two cruises were the same week, same ship, to Bermuda. One was 2014, the other was 2015.

Nothing wrong with cruising cheap -just means more money for another cruise!:D

Looking forward to the Asia review!:)

I don't do reviews of all my cruises - it depends whether or not enough interesting things happen to warrant a review. Hopefully such will happen on the Asian cruise, but at least one of the ports (Nagasaki) will be rather somber.

I don't do reviews of all my cruises - it depends whether or not enough interesting things happen to warrant a review. Hopefully such will happen on the Asian cruise, but at least one of the ports (Nagasaki) will be rather somber.

Not doing a review is not an option. I agree that Nagasaki will be an interesting visit. Have never been there and look forward to your description.

Not doing a review is not an option. I agree that Nagasaki will be an interesting visit. Have never been there and look forward to your description.

LOL.:D I am looking forward to this cruise - perhaps more than any other in a long time - have never been to the Philippines and Halong Bay is a most stop. Of course Nagasaki is going to be special as well.