The Dream? Or the Nightmare? (or why I may give up cruising?)

SailorJack

I am surprised to see it has legs. As Groucho Marx used to say, "If I had know I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself." If I had known this post was going to be around this long I would have taken better care in writing it.:) But I am glad you enjoy it. Thank you.

Go Cowboys!:)

you were my inspiration to start writing reviews after my cruises trying to inject a bit of tongue in cheek humour but I can only aspire to be your apprentice:D

I am so glad this thread was bumped today and I was able to enjoy it. What an absolute classic report, with tears running down my cheeks from laughing! Thank you Sailor Jack!

Glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for your comment.

Jack

Thank you for that!! I just spent the last two hours reading this entire thread!!! Could you please come to NY and go on the Breakaway on the July 19th sailing?? ;)

I think you've taught me to take a big chill pill on our next trip in case anything goes wrong like a collision or a fire or my dinner isn't hot enough or if this ship loses power....now I know how to behave!!! :D

Love to sail with you, but sailing this summer is not an option for us.:( Hopefully you will avoid collisions and fire. Can't be as positive about dinner, however.:)

Have a great cruise!

Jack

I think you deserve a promotion after that review!! You should be promoted from Sailor to Captain!!

That might be quite a stretch....I am aspiring to first mate, but Jill says that might be quite a stretch as well!:eek:

you were my inspiration to start writing reviews after my cruises trying to inject a bit of tongue in cheek humour but I can only aspire to be your apprentice:D

I took some time to read your reviews and liked them very much. I think you have well passed the apprentice stage - but it was a very nice compliment - thank you. I laughed at your designation of "6" and imagined if Jill did that for me she would probably add a couple more 6's!:D

Jack

Maybe we can for a "Green with Envy Club.:)"

I'm in!

As you can see by my signature, we will be following your wake along the Horn next winter. I think that you should expand your review into a book, so that I can see more of these ports from your perspective. Do you think you could come up with another 200 or so pages?

I'm in!

As you can see by my signature, we will be following your wake along the Horn next winter. I think that you should expand your review into a book, so that I can see more of these ports from your perspective. Do you think you could come up with another 200 or so pages?

We missed a couple of ports you are going to see on the Sun due to our accident, fire, and engine problems so I could not give you a my perspective on them. Perhaps you can write a review of your trip so that I can see what I missed!:)

Enjoy your voyage. Going around the Horn was one of the highlights of all my cruises.

Jack

We missed a couple of ports you are going to see on the Sun due to our accident, fire, and engine problems so I could not give you a my perspective on them. Perhaps you can write a review of your trip so that I can see what I missed!:)

Enjoy your voyage. Going around the Horn was one of the highlights of all my cruises.

Jack

Is it true the old sailors earned the right to pierce an ear only after sailing "The Horn " ??

Is it true the old sailors earned the right to pierce an ear only after sailing "The Horn " ??

Apparently so. They could wear a gold hoop earring on the left ear - the ear that faced the Horn when making an easterly passage. It is said that the gold in the earring was to pay for their funeral should they die at sea.

To show how domesticated we have become since those days, Jill said that should I try to wear a gold hoop earring there would be a good chance that I might, indeed, die at sea - or at least words to that effect.:)

That is much more the kind of review I was hoping to find, someone who looks at the cruise line as fallible. The reviews that worry about dust on a lampshade and lines once in awhile drive me over the edge. U people learn how to make the best and enjoy your cruise. Sh@@@ happens. Appreciate very much that you did not whine!

That is much more the kind of review I was hoping to find, someone who looks at the cruise line as fallible. The reviews that worry about dust on a lampshade and lines once in awhile drive me over the edge. U people learn how to make the best and enjoy your cruise. Sh@@@ happens. Appreciate very much that you did not whine!

I very much agree with your philosophy that "Stuff Happens!" From our perspective, it is sometimes the adversity one encounters on a trip that becomes the highlight of that trip. If we hadn't rammed the Japanese boat the cruise would have been much like any other - but we still talk and laugh about that cruise to this day because it was so different.

By the way, welcome to Cruise Critic.

Jack

Me too. Will we get club discounts on attractions?:)

Absolutely.

A 20% discount at La Chacra Restaurante in Buenos Aires if you order the Special Tenderloin. Business has boomed since Sailor Jack's review and they have added 20 new locations.

A 10 peso discount on all shows put on by the Argentinian Olympic Sumo Wrestling Team.

Discounts off your second, third, and fourth day excursions in Montevideo.

Complimentary 30 day visa for any NCL cruise entering Montevideo harbour.

A free lesson in proper bayonet handling by the Uruguayan military - they now hold daily lessons at the Rotunda, which are compulsory for all members of the Guard.

Half price on snorkeling excursions to see the Argentinian navy off the Falkland islands.

No fee for entering the Men's Sexy Leg Contest on any NCL ship.

10% off any Aroma Therapy treatment (again, business has boomed since Sailor Jack's review and they want to show appreciation)

Also free with membership is a video of Groundhog Day.

Thanks for recirculating this review. My SA. cruise was a few years after yours but far less entertaining. Kind of wish I sailed on yours.

Your style of tale telling is fabulous and a delightful read.

I just found this review today and it was so much fun to read.

I remember when that incident occurred and the Dream went into dry dock here in Boston. (I had actually forgotten about it [emoji10])

We drove in to watch the repairs quite often. I have lots of pictures somewhere.

We were on the first cruise after the "front end" was replaced.

I can't believe it's been that long already.

We've cruised to Bermuda out of Boston for the past 11 years.

Absolutely.

A 20% discount at La Chacra Restaurante in Buenos Aires if you order the Special Tenderloin. Business has boomed since Sailor Jack's review and they have added 20 new locations.

A 10 peso discount on all shows put on by the Argentinian Olympic Sumo Wrestling Team.

Discounts off your second, third, and fourth day excursions in Montevideo.

Complimentary 30 day visa for any NCL cruise entering Montevideo harbour.

A free lesson in proper bayonet handling by the Uruguayan military - they now hold daily lessons at the Rotunda, which are compulsory for all members of the Guard.

Half price on snorkeling excursions to see the Argentinian navy off the Falkland islands.

No fee for entering the Men's Sexy Leg Contest on any NCL ship.

10% off any Aroma Therapy treatment (again, business has boomed since Sailor Jack's review and they want to show appreciation)

Also free with membership is a video of Groundhog Day.

That was priceless! You sort of captured the whole cruise in 100 words or less! Great imagination. With those kind of discounts I am positively going to join the club!:D

That really was good.

Jack

That was priceless! You sort of captured the whole cruise in 100 words or less! Great imagination. With those kind of discounts I am positively going to join the club!:D

That really was good.

Jack

Thank you, Jack. That is a very high compliment, coming from someone whose sense of humour I admire so much. :)

Thanks for recirculating this review. My SA. cruise was a few years after yours but far less entertaining. Kind of wish I sailed on yours.

Your style of tale telling is fabulous and a delightful read.

Your comment reminded me of another comment regarding our cruise. I can't immediately recall the name of he poster, but he/she wrote (and I am paraphrasing) "Your review made we want to take that cruise....but not on that ship!):D

Our cruise was certainly entertaining - we never knew what to expect from one day to the next.

Glad you enjoyed the story, thanks for your comments.

Jack

I just found this review today and it was so much fun to read.

I remember when that incident occurred and the Dream went into dry dock here in Boston. (I had actually forgotten about it [emoji10])

We drove in to watch the repairs quite often. I have lots of pictures somewhere.

We were on the first cruise after the "front end" was replaced.

I can't believe it's been that long already.

We've cruised to Bermuda out of Boston for the past 11 years.

Glad you enjoyed it. I didn't realize the dry dock was in Boston - that must have been interesting to watch the repairs and to then sail on her. It has been awhile and the Dream is long gone - but the memories persist.:)

Jack

I think Burm did an excellent job highlighting the benefits of our new club. Special ID cards are now under consideration.

Do we have any artists here who could design our logo? Perhaps something showing the Dream ramming the Japanese cargo ship, sending Suzukis and cargo containers sailing into the ocean. At least one Suzuki would have to be bright red for visual effect.

Glad you enjoyed it. I didn't realize the dry dock was in Boston - that must have been interesting to watch the repairs and to then sail on her. It has been awhile and the Dream is long gone - but the memories persist.:)

Jack

I know the Dream was sold and was seen somewhere in Europe, but is it sailing now with another cruise line or was it scrapped?