The Dream? Or the Nightmare? (or why I may give up cruising?)

SailorJack

I have had land based vacations ruined by electrical power black outs when ice storms and other storms knock the lines down. While I doubt a ice storm will knock out the electricity aboard a ship, fires and other mechanical break downs can. Why do some folks think electricity is completely safe on a ship? While it is a goal we all wish to achieve, electricity can be knocked out at any moment every where.

What a fabulous piece of work - fantastic review - think I will print this off for an after dinner speech -

If you dont write for a living you should consider it. I paid a fortune for a speech to be written for my husband (father of the bride) who HATES doing speeches - can see you would be fantastic at this!

Norwegian Dream - has a place in our hearts. She was the first ship we ever cruised on. 2002 - Boston to Miami - myself husband and daughter had the vacation of a lifetime -

I have a model of her at home - should I bash a great hole in it in your honour?:D

Thanks for the laughter! Brilliant!!

So well said. LOL!!! I love a good Sailor Jack review and this is one of his best for sure.

Thanks for popping in again too Jack. Anything planned that we should look forward to (I forgot to check your signature:o )

Sadly, other commitments are going to prevent any further cruising this year so our next one is not going to happen until April or May of next year.:eek: Finally, my visit to Tahiti - either on Celebrity's Soltice or on Princess.

I just ran across my printed copy of this review. I love your writing. I'm going to have to read your other reviews. Thanks for the laughs!

They do tend to be a little long and take time to wade through - sorry:)

I sent this one to a coworker who was on the Carnival Dream cruise

Pyyrus makes a good point...two ships with the same name having some difficult times.

What a fabulous piece of work - fantastic review - think I will print this off for an after dinner speech -

If you dont write for a living you should consider it. I paid a fortune for a speech to be written for my husband (father of the bride) who HATES doing speeches - can see you would be fantastic at this!

Norwegian Dream - has a place in our hearts. She was the first ship we ever cruised on. 2002 - Boston to Miami - myself husband and daughter had the vacation of a lifetime -

I have a model of her at home - should I bash a great hole in it in your honour?

Thanks for the laughter! Brilliant!!

Glad you enjoyed it. While I don't write for a living I used to write speeches. Part of my job before I retired was to write speeches for our CEO. No need for the hole!:) It was patched up and repainted - looked as good as new.

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

Sadly, other commitments are going to prevent any further cruising this year so our next one is not going to happen until April or May of next year.:eek: Finally, my visit to Tahiti - either on Celebrity's Soltice or on Princess.

Jack

No worries Jack, your reviews are worth waiting for!

Might I suggest Princess for you for your Tahiti cruise - perhaps this time you could outsmart the waiters in Sabatinis;):D

No worries Jack, your reviews are worth waiting for!

Might I suggest Princess for you for your Tahiti cruise - perhaps this time you could outsmart the waiters in Sabatinis;):D

That dinner at Sabatini's is one I shall never forget!:D However, they have since changed the menu and no longer force feed you - so it looks like it has become a much more dignified dinning experience.:)

Solstice!!:p

That is sort of the one we are leaning towards as it is a longer cruise - going from Sydney to Honolulu.

That is sort of the one we are leaning towards as it is a longer cruise - going from Sydney to Honolulu.

Haven't been on Solstice but have been on Eclipse twice (sister ship) and she is a very nice ship. There are a few things I don't like as well as RCI but some things are better (like the larger shower --but hate the lavatory bowl).

Really enjoyed Sydney--spend a couple of days there if possible.

Hi SailorJack,

you had me laughing in stitches !!! luv ur reviews!!! :p.... every single one is great !! Reminds me of Dave Barry's last page writings in the Washington Post Magazine" .Yours are funnier! :D

(FYI.... im actually in stitches, had a torn tendon surgery last week, sitting here with a cast and stitches);):)

Until you mentioned it I didn't realize how long ago I wrote this. As I am sure you know, NCL sold the ship a year or so later so I can't take a reunion trip on it...which might have been fun.:)

Actually, the ship's sale never went through.

It was transferred to NCL's shareholder Starcruises and spent time laid up in the Bahamas, Greece and Singapore. Following a major refit (to the tune of $50 million) late last year, she is currently sailing for Starcruises under the name of Superstar Gemini in China, Sth Korea and Taiwan.

It was transferred to NCL's shareholder Starcruises and spent time laid up in the Bahamas, Greece and Singapore. Following a major refit (to the tune of $50 million) late last year, she is currently sailing for Starcruises under the name of Superstar Gemini in China, Sth Korea and Taiwan.

Wow. I've heard of Superstar Gemini. It's sounds like a bad luck ship, but that's just me being truthy-like on one cup of coffee. Superstar Leo is now NCL Spirit and she's remarkably free of front end collisions.

Thanks for the update! I didn't realize that the Dream had a second life. I had thought it was headed for the breakers. This is really good news as the Dream cruise was one of our first and one of our favorites. For nostalgia buffs and my own remembrances here is a photo of the Dream in her better days.

800px-NorwegianDream.JPG

Hi SailorJack,

you had me laughing in stitches !!! luv ur reviews!!! :p.... every single one is great !! Reminds me of Dave Barry's last page writings in the Washington Post Magazine" .Yours are funnier! :D

(FYI.... im actually in stitches, had a torn tendon surgery last week, sitting here with a cast and stitches);):)

Thank you. That is some pretty lofty company you put me in, but nobody can really compete with Dave Barry -he was one of my favorite humorist columnists.

Hilarious read! Thank you. This is an itenerary I've been wanting to enjoy.

Glad you enjoyed it. It is a great itinerary and there are now several cruise lines that do it. Back when I first started looking there were not as many options and, as a result, I think pricing has gotten a bit more competitive. The only rub is that airfare is higher - especially due to the fact that it is an open jaw trip. Still, it is well worth it. Hope you get a chance to do it.

Jack

Just aheads up JHAL s Oosterdam has a great btb cruise to south pacific and new zealand for next jan thrumarch .theidea of that long flight from .montreal aches my back but .after seing New zealand on the Amaing Race i really would love to see its majestic scenery

Plus it goes to Fiji ....apparently very beautiful as well But now the cruise is a Tad ??. .?. Expensive but Im thinking about itv

Michele

Another one in April leaves from s

san diego to Tahiti but often comflicts with Passover for me .....bummer This year it is really inepensive in comparison!!!

Just aheads up JHAL s Oosterdam has a great btb cruise to south pacific and new zealand for next jan thrumarch .theidea of that long flight from .montreal aches my back but .after seing New zealand on the Amaing Race i really would love to see its majestic scenery

Plus it goes to Fiji ....apparently very beautiful as well But now the cruise is a Tad ??. .?. Expensive but Im thinking about itv

Michele

Another one in April leaves from s

san diego to Tahiti but often comflicts with Passover for me .....bummer This year it is really inepensive in comparison!!!

I didn't know about the one from San Diego, I will try to look that one up. What cruise line?

Thanks for the update! I didn't realize that the Dream had a second life. I had thought it was headed for the breakers. This is really good news as the Dream cruise was one of our first and one of our favorites. For nostalgia buffs and my own remembrances here is a photo of the Dream in her better days.

800px-NorwegianDream.JPG

If you might be interested, I went up on the new Gemini on New Year's Eve, before its official launch. Here's some pictures:

IMG_1361.jpg.c47885ef6717d1cd0e34d976d443d3dc.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg.fcfc25e553abf91958457e02455180a2.jpg

PC310503.jpg.755d492095205be5146cd2c31578c97f.jpg

PC310504.jpg.d1862692d7b6d50eed5c71be53f63006.jpg

PC310510.jpg.d9086543ee225ba4c0c6d2a41f7a14f1.jpg

PC310537.jpg.06edbce7ab917b1b88075267c545b8a4.jpg

If you might be interested, I went up on the new Gemini on New Year's Eve, before its official launch. Here's some pictures:

Thanks for the pictures. I see they left up some of the Dream's commemorative plaques. I have never sailed on a ship that was then transferred to another cruise line and then sailed on it again. It might be fun to see what kind of changes the new owners made to the original.

Love this review SailorJack. You've reminded a lot of us that we have to remember to pack our sense of humor! :D:D

Glad you enjoyed it. A sense of humor always helps in tight situations - especially when there is not much else you can do but laugh.:)