The Dream? Or the Nightmare? (or why I may give up cruising?)

SailorJack

Thanks for bumping this. I first read it when we booked the Dream in 2008 for a Canada/New England cruise, one of the last cruises before the Dream was sold. Your trip report is as hilarious as I remember. Our cruise had no mishaps, by the way, but I guess we had a different captain. :)

I think someone posted on this string that the Dream was actually in two collisions - the first one being in (I think) the Baltic. Maybe it just wasn't the Captain, but Karma!:D But, in any event, I am glad your cruise was not as eventful.

The last I heard the Dream was still inactive...last spotted sailing in the Med on what someone characterized as a trial drive.:)

It really is a great itinerary. We are thinking about doing it again in order to catch the ports we missed because of our collision. Both HAL and Princess are doing the Buenos Aires to Santiago run this year. Princess is using the Star - which we have been on twice and is a great ship. HAL is using the Veendam, of which we have no experience.

Enjoy!

Jack

We have sailed on the Star in South America and can attest that it is a great experience.

• 3 weeks later...

How wonderful! I was actually on that cruise. Your writing definitely bring back a lot fun and funny memories.

Just one thing to add, the second captain was really a great one. I remembered him always starting with a poem whenever he got on the lauderspeaker;) He definitely helped to built some better feelings among people on board.

Edited by northernbird

How wonderful! I was actually on that cruise. Your writing definitely bring back a lot fun and funny memories.

Just one thing to add, the second captain was really a great one. I remembered him always starting with a poem whenever he got on the lauderspeaker;) He definitely helped to built some better feelings among people on board.

I had totally forgotten about the poems! In retrospect I am sorry I did not include that in my review.:D It was a great cruise despite the mishaps and I am glad you enjoyed it as well. Now that the ship is gone my only regret about the trip is that I did not take more pictures of the Dream- but like you we have great memories of it.

Jack

Thanks for the kind words..I had lot of fun writing this one so I am glad you enjoyed it!

Jack

I think you need a cruise critic fan page. I just read your Baltic review. Still laughing at the suggestion of finding a futon due to no beds in the room!

When is your next cruise? Looking forward to the review already.

I think you need a cruise critic fan page. I just read your Baltic review. Still laughing at the suggestion of finding a futon due to no beds in the room!

When is your next cruise? Looking forward to the review already.

On the previous cruise there had been an outbreak of Noro virus on the ship. While nobody would confirm it for us, we suspected that the people who had previously occupied our room had contracted the illness and that they had done a deep cleaning on our room and had never put the beds back! Whatever the reason we got a very nice upgrade out of it.:)

We have not booked any other cruises yet, but we are looking at the Norwegian Sun on its Transatlantic trip this spring and we are looking at Viking for a cruise on the Yangzte River this summer.

Will probably do a review of the Sun - provided enough happens to warrent a review. Probably not for Viking as it is only a three day cruise with the rest of the time visiting different cities in China.

Jack

I had totally forgotten about the poems! In retrospect I am sorry I did not include that in my review.:D It was a great cruise despite the mishaps and I am glad you enjoyed it as well. Now that the ship is gone my only regret about the trip is that I did not take more pictures of the Dream- but like you we have great memories of it.

Jack

Great to hear you back. My wife and I indeed enjoyed it. We are kind of feeling that somehow it is easier to go somewhere than bump into something this way:D

My wife and I went to same restaurant that you went in BA.

We were in a shopping mall and asking the guy behind information desk what are typical Argentina foods/cuisine. The guy hesitated for a few seconds and then responded: "meat". I was not ready for such answer. I asked back "meat?". "Yes, meat", the guy became more affirmative. I was puzzled and asked, "well, meat, is there a special way of cooking or taste, or some sorts of that?". "No, it is meat" :confused:. I finally gave up and asked him to give us some names. That was how we end up in that restaurant. And of course, when I sit there watching waiters passing by with those "meats", I finally understood what "meat" mean :D. I had that 28 oz. steak...

Edited by northernbird

We were in a shopping mall and asking the guy behind information desk what are typical Argentina foods/cuisine. The guy hesitated for a few seconds and then responded: "meat". I was not ready for such answer. I asked back "meat?". "Yes, meat", the guy became more affirmative. I was puzzled and asked, "well, meat, is there a special way of cooking or taste, or some sorts of that?". "No, it is meat" :confused:. I finally gave up and asked him to give us some names. That was how we end up in that restaurant. And of course, when I sit there watching waiters passing by with those "meats", I finally understood what "meat" mean :D. I had that 28 oz. steak...

That is very true. I remember thinking as I passed by the string of restaurants in Recoleta that for me the smell of Argentina would always be that of asado (barbecue). Today, when I hear tango music I recall the wonderful smell of roasting meat.

I once walked into a restaurant with an Argentinian friend. He asked the waiter which type of grilling they used. When he did not like the answer, we walked out, leaving me hungry and confused. Apparently there are 2 ways to grill meat: with one, the smoke goes up, with the other, the smoke is pulled downwards. To my friend, it MATTERED.

Whenever anyone asked me what I wanted to eat, the answer was always Parilla!

I must also mention empanadas as being typically Argentinian. I must have eaten hundreds of them over the course of my two month visit. They were served as a side dish in restaurants (if you eat them, you pay extra) or we would order them as a cheap fast food while in the street or on the road.

Great to hear you back. My wife and I indeed enjoyed it. We are kind of feeling that somehow it is easier to go somewhere than bump into something this way:D

My wife and I went to same restaurant that you went in BA.

Wow..someone else who had the 28 oz. steak at La Chacra! As I said in my review, the steaks in BA were outstanding. La Chara was recommended to us by the hotel and we will revisit it when we go back to BA.

That is very true. I remember thinking as I passed by the string of restaurants in Recoleta that for me the smell of Argentina would always be that of asado (barbecue). Today, when I hear tango music I recall the wonderful smell of roasting meat.

I once walked into a restaurant with an Argentinian friend. He asked the waiter which type of grilling they used. When he did not like the answer, we walked out, leaving me hungry and confused. Apparently there are 2 ways to grill meat: with one, the smoke goes up, with the other, the smoke is pulled downwards. To my friend, it MATTERED.

Whenever anyone asked me what I wanted to eat, the answer was always Parilla!

I must also mention empanadas as being typically Argentinian. I must have eaten hundreds of them over the course of my two month visit. They were served as a side dish in restaurants (if you eat them, you pay extra) or we would order them as a cheap fast food while in the street or on the road.

Two months! I am envious. With respect to the empanadas, I ran into a similar situation in Europe when a waiter put a basket of bread on the table. Thinking it was part of the meal, we ate it and saw the charge on our bill. I asked the waiter about it and he said they put it on the table as a convenience and only charge if the guest eats it. Oh, well.:rolleyes:

I'm so glad someone bumped this back up! I haven't been a member of CC long enough to have seen it when it was first written. It was hilarious! Thank you for sharing.

Glad you enjoyed it. Links to my other reviews (if you have your signatures turned of) are in my signature.:)

Same. Thank you - this is truly hilarious.

Thanks!

Wow..someone else who had the 28 oz. steak at La Chacra! As I said in my review, the steaks in BA were outstanding. La Chara was recommended to us by the hotel and we will revisit it when we go back to BA.

Two months! I am envious. With respect to the empanadas, I ran into a similar situation in Europe when a waiter put a basket of bread on the table. Thinking it was part of the meal, we ate it and saw the charge on our bill. I asked the waiter about it and he said they put it on the table as a convenience and only charge if the guest eats it. Oh, well.:rolleyes:

Glad you enjoyed it. Links to my other reviews (if you have your signatures turned of) are in my signature.:)

Thanks!

OK so which one is your Baltic review-think I've read the rest of the chapters but cant find that one in your signature-please keep us updated on future cruises so we know to look out for a review!

Thanks Sailor Jack for making my day! I'm home from work sick and cruising CC to cheer myself up. Just spent the last 10 mins reading your review, laughing so hard I forgot how much my head hurts!

As for your Viking for a cruise on the Yangzte River , my parents just did it and I truly hope it is uneventful for you, but may produce some great material for your infamous style of reviews!

OK so which one is your Baltic review-think I've read the rest of the chapters but cant find that one in your signature-please keep us updated on future cruises so we know to look out for a review!

The Baltic cruise was on the Jewel - not to be confused with the Jewel of the Seas which was one of our TAs. In my signature it is the third from the bottom.

No other trip booked yet, but we may do a get-away-from-the-cold cruise to the Caribbean in late February.

BRILLIANT! I will be reading the rest of your reviews when I get a chance. Your positive attitude and sense of humour are refreshing. Thank you. :)

Glad you enjoyed it. By the way Liberty School makes a pretty good Cabernet!:)

Thanks Sailor Jack for making my day! I'm home from work sick and cruising CC to cheer myself up. Just spent the last 10 mins reading your review' date=' laughing so hard I forgot how much my head hurts!

As for your Viking for a cruise on the Yangzte River , my parents just did it and I truly hope it is uneventful for you, but may produce some great material for your infamous style of reviews![/quote']

Hope you are feeling better today. We have tentative plans for Viking in June but have not booked yet. It will be our second river cruise as we sailed on the Nile several years ago.

Fabulous detailed account with humor and good attitude in making lemonaide out of lemons! Smiling everytime I think of the situations... did they really find a passenger with the right fuse???? Puts a whole other spin on packing for the unexpected!

Thanks Happy Cruising

Fabulous detailed account with humor and good attitude in making lemonaide out of lemons! Smiling everytime I think of the situations... did they really find a passenger with the right fuse???? Puts a whole other spin on packing for the unexpected!

Thanks Happy Cruising

You would be suprised at the things Jill packs for a simple trip. I'm just surprised she wasn't the one to have a spare fuse in her carry-on!:D

Thanks Happy Cruising

My DB came to visit us over the Christmas holiday. One day, shortly after his arrival, I mentioned to him that I wish I knew how to make our late DM's famous German cookies. He said that we could probably put our heads together and come up with something very similar. I pointed out that I do not own a poppyseed grinder. "No problem", says my brother, " I have one in my suitcase." :eek::D

I must point out here that I have only baked cookies a few times in my entire life, and the to the best of my knowledge, my brother had never baked any. He just happened to have a poppyseed grinder on him? LOL

My DB came to visit us over the Christmas holiday. One day, shortly after his arrival, I mentioned to him that I wish I knew how to make our late DM's famous German cookies. He said that we could probably put our heads together and come up with something very similar. I pointed out that I do not own a poppyseed grinder. "No problem", says my brother, " I have one in my suitcase." :eek::D

I must point out here that I have only baked cookies a few times in my entire life, and the to the best of my knowledge, my brother had never baked any. He just happened to have a poppyseed grinder on him? LOL

OK, you win! I cannot think of anything that Jill has packed that would come close to having a poppyseed grinder in her suitcase.:D (If I knew what a poppyseed grinder was).:)