The Dream? Or the Nightmare? (or why I may give up cruising?)

SailorJack

I have to admit, yours is one of the more unique responses I have received on this review!:D:D

We are on a cruise a cruise in October that ends the first of November. A December cruise would be pushing it a little for us, but I know you will have a great time. Thanks for your comment.:)

P.S. Groo

If you have a ereader that supports epub files, here is a link to an epub book of all 8 SailorJack reviews. It could use some more editing, but this is it for now.

Two recent events - your first post about the Nook and a member of Jill's book club who brought a Nook to this month's meeting - led us to visit Barnes and Nobel to have a look at it. It is really quite nice. I hadn't realized that they were so thin. It would certainly lighten the load of books we bring on a two week cruise. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Jack - bought my very own Nook a few weeks ago, and one of the first things I did was download your review as a pdf file - read it to DM at the beach - it is always a hoot and I never get tired of it:D Now the Nook and the review will be on our next cruise in the Med in November - maybe I will even have time to read;)

I have to admit, yours is one of the more unique responses I have received on this review!:D:D

We are on a cruise a cruise in October that ends the first of November. A December cruise would be pushing it a little for us, but I know you will have a great time. Thanks for your comment.:)

P.S. Groo

Jack - bought my very own Nook a few weeks ago, and one of the first things I did was download your review as a pdf file - read it to DM at the beach - it is always a hoot and I never get tired of it:D Now the Nook and the review will be on our next cruise in the Med in November - maybe I will even have time to read;)

I'm very flattered...thanks for your comment. You guys have convinced me that I need to get a Nook or a Kindle.

By the way, I see from your sign-in that you are from Dallas - a really great city. We nearly bought a house in Plano, but would up buying in Denton as I would be attending the University of North Texas.

I was cruisin the boards when I came upon you post. I know it is very old, but on a rainy day in St Louis it was the perfect read.

Thanks for the great story,

Glad you enjoyed it!:) Speaking of great cities, St.Louis is another one. Jill worked at Boatman's downtown and I was headquartered in West Port Plaza. Dinner on the Hill, Grants Farm, Lacledes's Landing - great memories.

How about planning a cruise for Oct. 2011. That would give you plenty of time to prepare. It is going to be a great 15 day repositioning cruise through the Panama Canal. Leaves LA 10/01/ ends in Tampa Florida which will be it's new home port.

Many have booked this cruise already, sure could be a fun trip to write about.:D

Just an idea!!!

:o

How about planning a cruise for Oct. 2011. That would give you plenty of time to prepare. It is going to be a great 15 day repositioning cruise through the Panama Canal. Leaves LA 10/01/ ends in Tampa Florida which will be it's new home port.

Many have booked this cruise already, sure could be a fun trip to write about.:D

Just an idea!!!

We have actully been looking at a Panama Canal cruise for next year, but have been focusing on Spring...but who knows.:) Your itinerary does look interesting.

For those of you finding this for the first time, make sure to check out SailorJacks' signature for links to his other reviews. They are just as entertaining.

Groo, I don't know if you saw it, but another poster indicated that they had downloaded your file...so your work is being utilized. Thanks.:)

What a great review! You are an extremely talented writer. I would be hard pressed to find the funniest part. Thanks for sharing...

Thanks for your kind words...glad you enjoyed it.

Not Dallas, Texas; Dallas, Georgia just outside Atlanta. But I have been to Dallas, TX - a very nice city:)

Color me Red!:o As a resident of Atlanta this should teach me not to jump to conclusions.

What a great review! You are an extremely talented writer. I would be hard pressed to find the funniest part. Thanks for sharing...

Thanks for your kind words..I am glad you enjoyed it.

Edited by SailorJack

This has to be, hands down, the BEST review on Cruise Critic. Well done, SailorJack! I came across another one of your entertaining reviews in another line's forum, I'm glad this experience didn't end up putting you off of cruising for good :)

Thanks for the compliment. If you are interested, links to my other seven reviews can be found in my signature.

OMG! How on earth did I miss this one? What a classic. Superb writing.

Thanks. Love your screen name!:D I don't what kind of omen this is, but the other poster here has the name of "Spacepotatoes.:D

Let me also agree that his has to be the best review I have read on CC. I can only hope that if some of those events happened to us that we would handle them with the character that you have ;)

Well done and I can only hope to cruise with you sometime in the future!

You are too kind. However, I have found that the people who post on cruise critic are the type of people who can go with the flow...so I am sure that you would have handled the events with poise and aplomb.:)

Just found your review and loved it. We'll be going on a cruise with a similar itinerary in January and will think of your adventures!

Thanks for posting such a wonderfully written and amusing review.

It is a great itinerary and I know you will enjoy it. It was one of our best cruises even though we missed the Falklands and another port or two.:D

• 1 month later...
It was entertaining no doubt

but.. that's not a review.

That amounts to a very long comment

and in two months time will be lost in the annals of ordinary cruise critics comments, as will this.

I'm hoping he also took the time to write it where he should have,

over on the real reviews section at

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/index.cfm

where all reviews live on for eternity.

Too many people think they're writing reviews within these notes and comments

and they suffice for now,yes..

but only real reviews stand the test of time, lasting years and years

for the whole world to see.

Go over to

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/index.cfm

and read the many lasting reviews on the ship of your choice

some of them dating back years and years!

Have you written your (real) review) yet?

or was it just another one of these passing comments?

Here we are, three years later, and I am still laughing like crazy over Sailor Jack's "review."

A typical review would have been meaningless after this time. Who cares about a 3 year old review? Things change. Humour endures.

And to think, I almost gave up reading after he dissed Mi Buenos Aires Querido.

Here we are, three years later, and I am still laughing like crazy over Sailor Jack's "review."

A typical review would have been meaningless after this time. Who cares about a 3 year old review? Things change. Humour endures.

And to think, I almost gave up reading after he dissed Mi Buenos Aires Querido.

Glad you still get a chuckle from the "review". You caught the essence of my writing.:) I really don't write about the ship - food, service, etc., but look for the humor in cruising.

I admit to having been a little confused by aplmac's comment, but assume that he did not see the humor in it. I admit to a warped sense of humor that not all people understand.:D

The irony of his comments is that the Dream was sold and Cruise Critic deleted all the reviews of that ship posted in the Review section. So it would not have "stood the test of time lasting years and years." Oh, well.

Thanks again for your comments.:)

Glad you still get a chuckle from the "review". You caught the essence of my writing.:) I really don't write about the ship - food, service, etc., but look for the humor in cruising.

I admit to having been a little confused by aplmac's comment, but assume that he did not see the humor in it. I admit to a warped sense of humor that not all people understand.:D

The irony of his comments is that the Dream was sold and Cruise Critic deleted all the reviews of that ship posted in the Review section. So it would not have "stood the test of time lasting years and years." Oh, well.

Thanks again for your comments.:)

There are a few extremely rigid individuals on Cruise Critic who feel that strict guidelines should always be followed. For example, there is a thread on "Summary of Winnining Priceline Bids. This person has set out an excellent and very practical summary format, but if anyone dares to ask for further information regarding how they arrived at that win or about the hotel or location he screams "start your own thread". Well, it is only logical to ask the person in front of you who knows the answer, rather than blindly seeking other sources of information.

Jack, I feel that your reviews capture the spirit of cruising (and vacations in general). I loved your lengthy description of the camel encounter and then you added something along the lines of "and Giza was pretty good too." :D It is very easy to get factual descriptions of tourist destinations but your hilarious words captured the essence of fun we experience while visiting these places. No travel brochure can give you that.

There are a few extremely rigid individuals on Cruise Critic who feel that strict guidelines should always be followed. For example, there is a thread on "Summary of Winnining Priceline Bids. This person has set out an excellent and very practical summary format, but if anyone dares to ask for further information regarding how they arrived at that win or about the hotel or location he screams "start your own thread". Well, it is only logical to ask the person in front of you who knows the answer, rather than blindly seeking other sources of information.

Jack, I feel that your reviews capture the spirit of cruising (and vacations in general). I loved your lengthy description of the camel encounter and then you added something along the lines of "and Giza was pretty good too." :D It is very easy to get factual descriptions of tourist destinations but your hilarious words captured the essence of fun we experience while visiting these places. No travel brochure can give you that.

I was unaware of the Priceline string, I will have to look it up. Thanks for the tip.:)

Just read this for the fist time, excellent review. I typically don't read really long reviews, but this one kept me attent and certainly entertained throughout!

Glad you enjoyed it!:) We generally take 2-3 week cruises so there is usually a lot to write about - so my reviews do tend to run a little long. I try to edit them down to 12 typewritten pages on Word - and even then I have a lot of stuff left over. Oh, well.:rolleyes:

Edited by SailorJack

I was unaware of the Priceline string, I will have to look it up. Thanks for the tip.

There is more than one:

Summary of winning bids on Priceline - in the Florida Departures forum of Cruise Critic Message Boards.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=412923&goto=newpost

Summary of Winning Bids on Priceline, Hotwire, etc. - in the San Juan, PR forum of Cruise Critic Message Boards.

This thread is located at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=412956&goto=newpost

Glad you enjoyed it! We generally take 2-3 week cruises so there is usually a lot to write about - so my reviews do tend to run a little long. I try to edit them down to 12 typewritten pages on Word - and even then I have a lot of stuff left over. Oh, well.

The world needs a good book about cruise stories. You’ve already done most of the work. (You are also one of the few people in the world today who know how to use personal pronouns. People think "me" is a bad word. :p)

I actually feel sorry for folks who don't get your humor. They never get to experience that gut-busting laugh that occurs so often when reading your work. Keep 'em coming, Salilor Jack! :D

I was unaware of the Priceline string, I will have to look it up. Thanks for the tip.:)

Glad you enjoyed it!:) We generally take 2-3 week cruises so there is usually a lot to write about - so my reviews do tend to run a little long. I try to edit them down to 12 typewritten pages on Word - and even then I have a lot of stuff left over. Oh, well.:rolleyes:

By all means, make them as long as necessary, because the reading was really easy and enjoyable. At this point, I can't wait for your next cruise, just so I can read the next review! LOL

By all means, make them as long as necessary, because the reading was really easy and enjoyable. At this point, I can't wait for your next cruise, just so I can read the next review! LOL

Thanks for your kind words. Our next cruise hasn't been booked yet, but will probably take place around May. We are looking at another Med cruise - hopefully one that will visit the Black Sea.

I actually feel sorry for folks who don't get your humor. They never get to experience that gut-busting laugh that occurs so often when reading your work. Keep 'em coming, Salilor Jack! :D

LOL.:D I don't know about "gut-busting", but I hope I can bring a smile.:)