St. Thomas & Tortola Beaches:

theo

Sailing on the Miracle 9/12. Due to the Ivan, we will be sailing to St. Thomas & Tortola. Can anyone suggest names of nice beaches on these Islands? We are sailing w/ our 2.5 yo son and want to spend these port days at the beach! Thanks in advance for any replies.

We did Magen's Bay in St Thomas, it was wonderful, and the ride to get there was very interesting. Our driver was very proud of his island and told us about everything as we passed. The beach was beautiful, soft sand and a gradual slope to the water. They also serve food and drink and you can rent mats for the water.

I myself, prefer, Trunk Bay on St. John's, a short ride away. Beautiful, picturesque island. They filmed one of the Christopher Columbus Movies here and it is "Paradise". Beautiful Palm trees, hilly and beautiful sandy beach. You have to see it. We took morning tour and were back to ship for lunch and then had plenty of time to shop in the afternoon. St. Thomas as beautiful as it is , is more populated and crowded in town(Charlotte Amalie). You can shop the same stores right where the Cruise Ship docks at Havensight Mall. Hope this helps. Never bothered to go to a beach on Tortola as We were there for a short time. Next trip would like to see the "Baths" on Virgin Gorda! Ike

theo .... In TORTOLA don't miss going to The Baths of Virgin Gorda with its "fish tank" clear water -- Not to be missed!

Your ship will offer an excursion there or you can take a ferry on your own.

In the Ports of Call section there is a thread with a site for a wonderful map and complete information on The Baths:

Tortola /Baths of Virgin Gorda

Hope this helps! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Hi just back from St. Thomas and Tortola. In St. Thomas we went to Sapphire Beach which was nice, especially since there is a resort right there that also allows you to use their pool, however, the beach was very rocky, next time I would try Magen's bay. On tortola we went to cane garden bay and absolutely loved it!!!! I can not say enough about it cyrstal clear water, sand that feels like powder, absolutely unspolied. The ride from the ship to the beach however, is over a mountain, and alittle scary a few on our taxi were really upset about it. $6 per person on the taxi, and they are lined up right at the pier to take you, no need to arrange a tour. This was our favorite day and nicest piece of paradise! Enjoy your visit!

Cane Garden Bay was one of the most beautiful and unspoiled beaches I'd ever seen. I last saw it 14 years ago, so it may have changed.

OCruiser, not to be difficult but isn't Virgin Gorda a separate island from Tortolla?

pirateover40 .... You are absolutely correct -- Virgin Gorda is a different island ... that's the reason (as I stated above) you have to take a ferry to get there. Fortunately, one of the excursions the ship always offers for port stops in Tortola is an excursion to The Baths of Virgin Gorda ...so that makes it easy.

No longer so sure about going to Cane Garden Bay Beach to swim. :eek:

Cane Garden Bay Beach WARNING! (in Ports of Call section or Click Here)

We really LOVE Tortola (one of our favorite places) and don't enjoy posting anything bad ... but, there are so many other thing to do .....

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Archived