Cruising from NJ in winter..what I wore, what I saw..

sgttami

Just thought that I'd pass this info on for those who are sailing from NJ/NY in the winter months:

Sailed on RCI Explorer on 12/14...9 day cruise.

We sailed on a day when temps were about 47 degrees. Live in NJ/ 45 minutes from Bayonne.. We didn't fly to port so my attire was black knit pants, black top with a holiday logo..( I'm not a fan of holiday themed attire but this was OK since the top was a gift and it fit in for cruising at the time of year. ), black clogs and a long light wool black coat.

Saw a mix of jeans, parkas, fleece, mink for embarkation.

First day at sea... I wore grey knit pants and top and a matching fleece jacket...it was cool. Not many in the pools.

Formal night at sea...I wore VELVET..black tank top and long skirt with a velvet shawl. Didn't feel weird as it was still cold and we weren't in the Carib as yet!! A mix of outfits was observed...strapless, satin. silk..ballerina, pouffy..you name it..I saw it!! DH wore tux.

Second sea day it was warmer and most were in bathing suits by the pool. Male and female, all shapes and sizes, lying in the sun. Dining room was casual..I wore a Chico's outfit for dinner. There was mix of dress from very nice to jeans and tees.

San Juan we did Portofino and were appalled when a couple came in wearing ratty Tees and flip flops..Didn't ruin our dinner but they looked SO OUT OF PLACE!!

In ports of call the dress varied and we opted to skip the second formal night that was on the way home. In between we did room service or Windjammer. Both were fine.

I would recommend layers for those leaving in the winter months from NY/NJ. We went from sweatshirts to tank tops within hours on the sea days on both ends.

Overall, I did pretty good packing a mix of clothes but next time would maybe pack an extra pair of long knit pants or jeans and eliminate a few tees/shorts.

There was a mix of everything on this trip and for the most part, everyone looked nice. However, RCI is not the way it used to be and it seems that formal has taken on a new definition!! I don't consider jeans with a "sparkley top" to be formal but apparently some do..

Honestly I really don't care what someone wears but I've definitely seen the decline in the service/atmosphere over the years on RCI.

In short, we still had a good time!!

We went from sweatshirts to tank tops within hours on the sea days on both ends.

!!

Great report! Usually as soon as the ship gets to the Gulf Stream, which is about 8 hours, the air should warm up to about 75 degrees. Also, the sun is heating up the ship threefold: directly, from the reflection of the ocean, and from the reflection of the ship.

There was a mix of everything on this trip and for the most part, everyone looked nice. However, RCI is not the way it used to be and it seems that formal has taken on a new definition!! I don't consider jeans with a "sparkley top" to be formal but apparently some do..

Honestly I really don't care what someone wears but I've definitely seen the decline in the service/atmosphere over the years on RCI.

In short, we still had a good time!!

Sure, a decline in dress standards clearly tells the cruiseline, "Hey, we don't care" and the cruiselines follow suit. Why give formal, white glove service to people in shorts and jeans?

Thanks for your post. Glad you had a good time!

Sure, a decline in dress standards clearly tells the cruiseline, "Hey, we don't care" and the cruiselines follow suit. Why give formal, white glove service to people in shorts and jeans?

Just MHO, I believe you get formal, white glove good service for 1.) your friendliness to the staff on the ship (a HIGHLY underestimated factor in your service) and 2.) because people are paying for their services during your time on the ship.

I think it doesn't matter what people are wearing, personal hygiene to me is a bigger deal...you could be dressed in a formal gown or a pair of jeans but if you're stinky it's not going to be a pleasant cruise :eek: :D

Just MHO, I believe you get formal, white glove good service for 1.) your friendliness to the staff on the ship (a HIGHLY underestimated factor in your service) and 2.) because people are paying for their services during your time on the ship.

I think it doesn't matter what people are wearing, personal hygiene to me is a bigger deal...you could be dressed in a formal gown or a pair of jeans but if you're stinky it's not going to be a pleasant cruise :eek: :D

Where did body odor come into play? I don't quite understand why you bring it up. I think that most of us assume that cleanliness and smelling fresh is important, no matter if someone is in a swimsuit or a ballgown.

But while good service may come from a having a good attitude to your waiter. White gloved service is something the cruiseline management decides upon.

When everyone took enough pride in how they looked and dining room managers turned away those not properly dressed, White Gloved formal service was de rigeur. Now with people showing up in shorts and jeans, it sends a clear message to the management that it's okay to cut back on the formalities, more gourmet meals, and other little niceties that cost the cruiseline a little more money. Why do it for people who don't care?

you could be dressed in a formal gown or a pair of jeans but if you're stinky it's not going to be a pleasant cruise :eek: :D

What's funny...the second night of the cruise we were in the dining room and were halfway through dinner when a threesome came in about 45 minutes late..Two girls, one guy..not from the US. NOT DRESSED to code!!

Instantly there was an aroma of BO and a bad "perfume"!! Dh and I were almost done with dinner and the scent was so overwhelming that I nearly gagged. We brought it to the attention of the head waiter who offered to move us..(He smelled it also) but we were like..."We've been here for nearly an hour..MOVE THEM!! He didn't. And we never went back to the dining room after that except to tip on the last night..(we ate in alternative venues).

The old days of cruising were so much more elegant...and over the years I can take or leave the formal nights but it's not just the decline in dress, it's the decline in manners and class that's left me looking for another kind of vacation!

Sadly, we saw the crew "cowtowing" to the people in sweats/jeans going into the alternative dining venues that were not casual...All about the $$$, I'm sure!!

quote]

RCI no longer provides formal, white glove service IMO. Staff has far too many passengers to serve, waiters are responsible for wine service (trying getting a decent wine glass) and lots of cost cutting changes have had their effect.

Service is what I would call friendly and efficient, but not much more as they simply have too many tables and responsibilities.

The dress standards on RCI have plummeted over the past five years and it is a shame, but appears to be the future of mass market cruising.:(

Service is what I would call friendly and efficient, but not much more as they simply have too many tables and responsibilities.

The dress standards on RCI have plummeted over the past five years and it is a shame, but appears to be the future of mass market cruising.:(

Agree that it is a shame in the decline of dress. We met first time cruisers who thought everything was wonderful and when I tried to tell them what my early days of cruising were like, they looked at us like we were crazy..!! Formal WAS formal, never saw jeans on the ship, let alone in the dining rooms, casual was men in jackets and ladies in dresses)

I've only cruised since '92 and saw the decline. Friends of ours cruised since the 70's and are appalled and I'm sure those in the "caviargal category" sailing since the 60's even see a bigger decline!!

Sadly, we've even taken the attitude of "why bother" when it seems like dress codes are no longer adhered to. It almost seems foolish to be nicely dressed on the mass market lines. These days, you are in the minority!!

We've only been cruising since 1998 and have definitely noticed a decline in the level of service.

My thoughts are that it is a combination of companies trying to remain competitive with lower pricing as well as the response to people being more casual.

I've always been a bit confused by the practice of eliminating crew to save cost. It's kind of like shopping at Macy's, you serve yourself and then wait in a line to pay for your goods. The last time I went to Macy's, the line was about 5 deep, the cashier obviously untrained and slow. Not only did I return my purchases and leave since I could not wait, I saw two other people do the same. Now, they have lost several hundred $$ in sales all because they are not willing to have another clerk at little more than minimum wage in attendance??? The same thing with cocktail servers and wine stewards on a cruise ship, they generate income, their presence is paid for easily, but the company cuts cost at the bottom level, rather than thinning the tree from the top.

Service is more casual now on land as well as on the ocean and people accept it readily. Shorts and jeans are acceptable everywhere for dinner and people become incensed when they are asked not to do so. The response to this is service personnel are becoming more familiar and less formal.

All that said, on our last little weekend cruise, we had one of the most marvelous servers we've ever had on a cruise ship. We will definitely miss Monarch when she leaves next year :( This ship has always maintained a higher level of service than other ships we've sailed...go figure.

Archived