No Intent To Start A War, Really!!

stoneharborlady

One of the wisest parenting lines I ever heard was. "You can spend 13-14 months (unhappily) trying to "train" a two year old, or a couple of months easily training a 3 year old!"

I've got 4 kids and the best thing we ever did (after the first) was NOT train them. They train themselves when they're ready which depending on the kid occurs sometime between ages 2 1/2 and 3 1/2. It works out a LOT better all way around

My 2 cents.

Actually, that was where I was coming (Dosi, I do mind my own business!!!). My daughter was out of that phase well before 2. My son seemed to like the flies...thought they were his pets. I recall he was potty trained at about 15 or so.

The point I was REALLY trying to make was that, although I love my children and grandchildren, I'm not really sure I'd take an infant on a cruise. Disney might be more family oriented, but small children/infants really are a limiting factor on what the rest of the family can do. It's a personal choice that each couple needs to make.

Mark T.

My boys brought home hand-written notes from their Middle School teachers saying something to the effect of, "We expect your child to use the toilet. Thank you for sending in a year's worth of Depends, but we really need them to supply Magic Markers, three spirals, a compass and protracter, and a box of Kleenex instead. Thank you for your understanding in this matter." Boy, did we ever have a little "quality family time"!

Just looking around, and the stoneharborlady caught my eye--I just spent a lovely week in Stone Harbor!!!! Drove 3 days each way w/ 3 kids & had a blast!!!

I, too, will be taking my first cruise on a Princess in 6 weeks!

Regarding kids/diapers/pools--they do make swim diapers. It does keep urine in, and it doesn't blow up like regular diapers. Yes, in reality poop is a concern, but most 2 year olds are pretty regular about when they go, so if you know they have done their duty for the day, then you can safely put on a swim diaper and have no health conerns. Now, the ship may feel otherwise, but have had 3 children in swim diapers on many different occasions with nary an accident.

We are taking an extended family Disney cruise next Xmas. I feel sorry for my brother/sister-in-law as they will have a 2 year old and one year old--too young to go to the kid stuff, and so young they will need to be watched like hawks! They do have babysitting--I think $6/hour per child, YIKES! I recommend flying to the other grandma's and letting her chase them for a week--she's the type that would LOVE it! But not my decision...

Anyway, loved Stone Harbor, wanna go back!

Kristin

Archived