No Intent To Start A War, Really!!

stoneharborlady

I know this is a topic to do it though. My sister wants to sail with a two year old. In diapers. We know he is not permitted in a pool, as he is not potty trained. I called Princess to ask if they have anything for that age. Answer: No.

I discovered though, that Disney (whom we do NOT want to sail on) has a type of pool for this age with a "fountain" where the water drains constantly. Kind of like a sprinkler. The little ones can toddle in and out under the fountain, but the water does not stay in. Does this sound like a viable idea for Princess to use for little cruisers? Two year olds are smart enough to know if their brothers and sisters are getting wet, and they want to also. Sounds good to me, any opinions?

The star does have the kiddie pool right next to the kids center too that is like a wadding pool. Every time we picked up the kids there was no one in it. this might be a could place to go but be sure you time it right, knowing your little one and then it should be ok. But plaese don't use the grown up pools they are very deep and people don't always look before they jump in especially after some ports.

My two year old niece was playing in the Kiddie Pool with her uncle very close by. She is a tall girl for her age and looks much older, and you could hardly tell she had a swim diaper on. But the attendant at the pool "caught" her after about 10 minutes, and had my husband take her out of the pool! She really didn't understand why she couldn't swim there, and didn't want to get in with the 10 babies in the fountain area. This was on the Disney Magic in November 2003.

Best bet is to take a port intensive cruise and go to the beaches.

No cruise line is going to let a diapered kid get near a pool.

THe idea of using a small inflatable on ones balcony is a good one .

I will say that there were babies and kids in strollers this summer on our 2 week HAL criuse with no programming or pools for them. Its a matter of the parents knowing what to expect and following the plicy of the line.

All kids are different. There was a beautiful baby at dinner every night in her carrier all dressed up. She was like a doll. But we all know how antsy or easy our kids are about this sort of situation.

On the Wonder there were tons of diapered tots in the Mickey ears which is their pool for toddlers. The problem is that yes they can see their siblings getting wet but they also see them in the big kid pool and want to wander over there as well. Unfortunately some parents let them and the staff weren't as diligent as they should have been. At least twice a day the pool had to be drained when we were onboard due to toddler "accidents". :rolleyes:

I vote for a small inflatable pool on the balcony! Of course this won't be as fun for the parents but at least it's something. Makes me appreciate the fact that my kids are older now but we've all paid our dues.

How is the small inflatable pool on a balcony filled and emptied?

I have visions of parents (with small child in tow that wants to paddle) going between the bathroom and balcony carrying the waterjug that's for the fridge to fill it.

Remember small child is under foot when all this is going on and unless it was planned and they brought something else to use then it is going to take a long time to fill. By which time child is asleep or doesn't want to do it any more.

Imagine emptying it - water dumped over side (watch out below) or it is emptied using the same waterjug by returning the water to the bathroom?

I doubt you'll be able to enlist the help of the room steward.

How is the small inflatable pool on a balcony filled and emptied?

I have visions of parents (with small child in tow that wants to paddle) going between the bathroom and balcony carrying the waterjug that's for the fridge to fill it.

Remember small child is under foot when all this is going on and unless it was planned and they brought something else to use then it is going to take a long time to fill. By which time child is asleep or doesn't want to do it any more.

Imagine emptying it - water dumped over side (watch out below) or it is emptied using the same waterjug by returning the water to the bathroom?

I doubt you'll be able to enlist the help of the room steward.

I love the idea of dumping it over on the other balconies below and astern!

If one is taking a toddler/infant on a cruise, they need to really consider what the child will be able to do, and how it will impact what the parents can do. My son and daughter-in-law are leaving next week on a Celebrity cruise, and she just realized that the car seat is not going to go along with them on excursions. I don't recall a jitney that had seat belts, much less, what do you do with it when you get off one and climb on another for the return trip, which does happen every so often. Other countries don't have these laws that we take for granted.

Seriously, is it crucial that the child swim? Probably not. I won't even begin to go down the path of why the two-year-old isn't "trained". Been there, done that too many years ago.

Mark T.

. I won't even begin to go down the path of why the two-year-old isn't "trained". Been there, done that too many years ago.

Mark T.

Glad you are not going down that path since it really isn't your business. As far as swimming goes we just told our son he couldn't go in the pools on our first cruise (he was 2 1/2). That was the end of it. There will be many times in your childs life that his older sibs will be able to do things and he won't. He might as well get used to it now. :(

It's a market identification investment decision. There are very few toddlers on most cruises. (I did cruise with my brother and his diapered two year old once; I believe his was the only child this young)

The deck space - plumbing investment for what you describe is not warranted for most lines (including Princess). Disney of course very much targets the family with young children market so it makes sense to them to dedicate that dollars and space for this purpose.

One of the wisest parenting lines I ever heard was. "You can spend 13-14 months (unhappily) trying to "train" a two year old, or a couple of months easily training a 3 year old!"

I've got 4 kids and the best thing we ever did (after the first) was NOT train them. They train themselves when they're ready which depending on the kid occurs sometime between ages 2 1/2 and 3 1/2. It works out a LOT better all way around

My 2 cents.

Woodofpine- you said it!! 3 kids and 3 grandchildren, it's the only way to go!! And remember, no kid walks down the aisle in nappies!! Although with one of our boys I swear there was a rainbow over that kid's bed for years!!;)

Back to the original question; we have just returned from a land based holiday with our 9 month old grandson, bought the small inflatable toy, one inch of water and he was a happy camper, but on a ship, as has been said, where do you empty it??

Sue

My "2 penny worth" (The UK version!!:) )

I want to thank everyone who answered for their input. Your answers and points of view are appreciated. In our family (3 grown of my own, and 7 grandchildren) we have found the age of 2 a bit early to toilet train. Three is a snap, and it happens quickly with no stress on either side. They are ready then. Looks like we will wait another year till the wee one is trained and ready to cruise. I must say the picture in my head of parents racing back and forth from bathroom to balcony with the fridge bucket was a real chuckle. I thank you for that one! The idea of a port intensive cruise was also a good idea, with a beach almost every day, and no pool worries at all. :)

Did anyone ever answer how to fill and empty an inflatable pool on one's balcony? Just curious. We also never bothered to "potty train" any of ours at age 2.....just waited until they let us know they were ready. The boys definitely took longer than the girls, though.

I did a search and while there are plenty of people saying they will bring or brought an inflatable pool there was very little info on filling it. My guess is if you give the child enough water to drink he could just fill it up himself.....EEEWWWWWWWW. sorry couldn't help myself. :D

Archived