RCCL Comes Through

Last week I posted a review of my experience aboard the Mariner of The Seas. I mentioned in my review a few problems that we had; illness, room service, and the LA agents. At the suggestion of several CC members I sent an e-mail to the customer service department, Mr. Fain, and Mr. Goldstein. Here is a copy of the letter:

To whom it may concern,

My name is Ron xxxxxx. My family and I just returned home from our first vacation ever. We booked and sailed aboard your ship, the Mariner of The Seas. She is a very beautiful ship and a pleasure to just walk around. This letter is not about the ship but about the way we were treated when we tried to book with your NextCruise program. On the third night of the cruise the family and I decided that we would love to do this again sometime next year. We were not sure of the ship or time so we decided to put a deposit down with your new program. My girlfriend and I went to see your Loyalty Ambassador that evening. From the time we approached his office until the time we left he treated us like a bother. We explained to him what we wanted to do and were promptly told that his computer was moving too slow, and unless we knew the specific date and cruise it would not be worth the wait. We tried again to explain to him that we wanted to book on the ship so we could get the on board credit. He again rolled his eyes and told us to book it from home. When I asked if we would be able to get the credit he said yes and walked into his little storage closet. We've heard such great things about the service that RCCL provides it guest, and to say we were shocked would be an understatement. Since the very first day I booked the cruise we've had nothing but outstanding service from your Personal Vacation Planner, Beth S======l. I understand that people have bad days and that may have been his so I returned on our last day at sea to try again. The gentlemen was not there so I spoke with a young lady. Once I explained to her what we were told from the other LA and she informed me that was not correct. When I asked if we could book now she told me she was too far behind in her current bookings to take anymore. My question is this. What kind of Loyalty Program are you running? Whatever happened to customer retention?

What really upsets me is that I was going to book the cruise despite ordering room service 3 times and not getting it, and getting food poisoning on top of that!! Those things I can forget about. I mean those things happen and I understand the Mariner is big ship. Me missing a few meals isn't going to hurt anything. The other issue upsets me more because we were planning on making cruising our yearly event. We still may, but I'm not sure it will be with Royal Caribbean. Thank you for your time and have a Happy New Year.

Well today to my shock I recieved a phone call from both offices. One gentlemen I spoke with, a Mr. Bill W----- was very nice and actually took the time to speak with me about several things. He did not rush to get me off the phone nor was he rude or unpleasant. It just made me feel good to know that someone not only cared enough about my feelings but also the product they are trying to sell. In a time where customer service is usually left up to voice machines and computers I tip my hat to RCCL for a job well done. With just that simple phone call RCCL will keep my family and I as loyal customers. GOOD JOB RCCL!:)

Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=679690&page=2

Well today to my shock I recieved a phone call from both offices. One gentlemen I spoke with, a Mr. Bill W----, was very nice and actually took the time to speak with me about several things. He did not rush to get me off the phone nor was he rude or unpleasant. It just made me feel good to know that someone not only cared enough about my feelings but also the product they are trying to sell. In a time where customer service is usually left up to voice machines and computers I tip my hat to RCCL for a job well done. With just that simple phone call RCCL will keep my family and I as loyal customers. GOOD JOB RCCL!:)

I have also written to Richard Fain and gotten calls back from Bill Weeks. He is an outstanding Customer Service Agent and I have had the same experience with him as you did. It's neat because he also conveys his enthusiasm for the Mariner -- one of our favorite ships (we are sailing her a 4th time in Aug. to get one more cruise on her before she departs for the west coast).

I was given a booking as if I were on the ship with the onboard credit for each room.

So I guess (technically) the first LA was right. ;)

You did get your credit from home.......:rolleyes: ;)

I have also written to Richard Fain and gotten calls back from Bill W----- He is an outstanding Customer Service Agent and I have had the same experience with him as you did. It's neat because he also conveys his enthusiasm for the Mariner -- one of our favorite ships (we are sailing her a 4th time in Aug. to get one more cruise on her before she departs for the west coast).

He is great. He said to call him back when we book and he would take care of everything. He also said he knew the LA agent that we had a problem with. So it would seem that they've had an issue in the past.

He is great. He said to call him back when we book and he would take care of everything. He also said he knew the LA agent that we had a problem with. So it would seem that they've had an issue in the past.

Bill is pretty accessible for me too. Hope that your feedback helps to get rid of the LA or move him into another line of work.

I do feel you pain about the NextCruise option on the Mariner. My husband and I also went on several occasions to book something, and each time, it was very busy. We finally went later in the evening, and a very nice lady just indicated to us, that since we did not actually need to reserve a "date" we could just fill out a single sheet of information (which she provided) and drop it in the Crown and Anchor bucket by the desks. We didn't actually need to meet with anyone. I did just that, dropped in the bucket the next night, and by the time I got home, I had an e-mail from my travel agent indicating that she received the information (nothing I had provided them, must have used the previous reservation information) and just to let me know she got it and when we were ready to book to let her know.

Just a suggestion for someone just utilizing the NextCruise option without picking an actual date.

Last week we then received the vouchers sent to us by mail from the Mariner.

I do feel you pain about the NextCruise option on the Mariner. My husband and I also went on several occasions to book something, and each time, it was very busy. We finally went later in the evening, and a very nice lady just indicated to us, that since we did not actually need to reserve a "date" we could just fill out a single sheet of information (which she provided) and drop it in the Crown and Anchor bucket by the desks. We didn't actually need to meet with anyone. I did just that, dropped in the bucket the next night, and by the time I got home, I had an e-mail from my travel agent indicating that she received the information (nothing I had provided them, must have used the previous reservation information) and just to let me know she got it and when we were ready to book to let her know.

Just a suggestion for someone just utilizing the NextCruise option without picking an actual date.

Last week we then received the vouchers sent to us by mail from the Mariner.

We tried to explain to the LA that we just wanted to put our deposit down and that's all. He said it wasn't worth the time when we could just do it when we got home. He didn't mention the sheet of paper or anything like that. It wasn't until the last night of the cruise we learned about that. We were then told it was too late. It's all good now.

Last week I posted a review of my experience aboard the Mariner of The Seas. I mentioned in my review a few problems that we had; illness, room service, and the LA agents. At the suggestion of several CC members I sent an e-mail to the customer service department, Mr. Fain, and Mr. Goldstein. Here is a copy of the letter:

To whom it may concern,

My name is Ron xxxxxx. My family and I just returned home from our first vacation ever. We booked and sailed aboard your ship, the Mariner of The Seas. She is a very beautiful ship and a pleasure to just walk around. This letter is not about the ship but about the way we were treated when we tried to book with your NextCruise program. On the third night of the cruise the family and I decided that we would love to do this again sometime next year. We were not sure of the ship or time so we decided to put a deposit down with your new program. My girlfriend and I went to see your Loyalty Ambassador that evening. From the time we approached his office until the time we left he treated us like a bother. We explained to him what we wanted to do and were promptly told that his computer was moving too slow, and unless we knew the specific date and cruise it would not be worth the wait. We tried again to explain to him that we wanted to book on the ship so we could get the on board credit. He again rolled his eyes and told us to book it from home. When I asked if we would be able to get the credit he said yes and walked into his little storage closet. We've heard such great things about the service that RCCL provides it guest, and to say we were shocked would be an understatement. Since the very first day I booked the cruise we've had nothing but outstanding service from your Personal Vacation Planner, Beth S-------. I understand that people have bad days and that may have been his so I returned on our last day at sea to try again. The gentlemen was not there so I spoke with a young lady. Once I explained to her what we were told from the other LA and she informed me that was not correct. When I asked if we could book now she told me she was too far behind in her current bookings to take anymore. My question is this. What kind of Loyalty Program are you running? Whatever happened to customer retention?

What really upsets me is that I was going to book the cruise despite ordering room service 3 times and not getting it, and getting food poisoning on top of that!! Those things I can forget about. I mean those things happen and I understand the Mariner is big ship. Me missing a few meals isn't going to hurt anything. The other issue upsets me more because we were planning on making cruising our yearly event. We still may, but I'm not sure it will be with Royal Caribbean. Thank you for your time and have a Happy New Year.

Well today to my shock I recieved a phone call from both offices. One gentlemen I spoke with, a Mr. Bill W----, was very nice and actually took the time to speak with me about several things. He did not rush to get me off the phone nor was he rude or unpleasant. It just made me feel good to know that someone not only cared enough about my feelings but also the product they are trying to sell. In a time where customer service is usually left up to voice machines and computers I tip my hat to RCCL for a job well done. With just that simple phone call RCCL will keep my family and I as loyal customers. GOOD JOB RCCL!:)

Good to hear. The LAs are not up to par. 2 out of 3 fail in my book especially when it comes to NextCruise. I don't know if those guys/gals get commission on fixed bookings but they sure drag their feet at the NextCruise bookings.

I had an issue with my LA on the Navigator in November as well. One of the problems was that he was not delivering confirmation, neither by e-mail nor by print out. The day before disembarkation I went back to him and he said its going out via e-mail and he made a snotty remark that I shouldn't have gotten 4. Well guess what you turd. I already used them all up.

Needless to say I did not get the confirmation before leaving the ship. So I called my Vacation Planer up, he retrieved the info (at least that guy put it in the computer) and I had the confirmation in my mail box while I was on the phone with him.

When we sailed with RCI on a cruise where the sheer number of people wanting to make bookings for future cruises while onboard, clearly made it impossible for the LA to schedule appointments for everyone, she provided everyone who she could not accommodate, with a signed form indicating that when that person booked their next cruise from home or through their TA, they qualified for the OBC as if they had made that booking while onboard. It seems that she, at least, had her act together and was able to deal with the problem in a way that satisfied everyone. The same LA, when we had asked her a question that she had to research, actually called us in our stateroom with the answer and since we were not in the room when she called, actually left her cabin phone number so that we could reach her. That was Debbie Gorman on the Jewel of the Seas, and one of the best LA's we have sailed with.:)

Good to hear. The LAs are not up to par. 2 out of 3 fail in my book especially when it comes to NextCruise. I don't know if those guys/gals get commission on fixed bookings but they sure drag their feet at the NextCruise bookings.

I had an issue with my LA on the Navigator in November as well. One of the problems was that he was not delivering confirmation, neither by e-mail nor by print out. The day before disembarkation I went back to him and he said its going out via e-mail and he made a snotty remark that I shouldn't have gotten 4. Well guess what you turd. I already used them all up.

Needless to say I did not get the confirmation before leaving the ship. So I called my Vacation Planer up, he retrieved the info (at least that guy put it in the computer) and I had the confirmation in my mail box while I was on the phone with him.

Out of all the crew members I came into contact with on the ship the LA agents are the least friendly. You would think in sales they would have to have some kind of personality. It's sad that the guy who cleans your toilets every day has a better personality then somoene who gets to sit at a desk a few hours a day and make reservations. Maybe next time I'll try to book through my room steward.:p

Last April my DH and I cruised on the Mariner. It was our first time with RC. I had heard so much about next cruise and the "pressure" to book another cruise. Halfway through we knew that we wanted to do this again so we called the LA and left a message that we would like to book a next cruise. Well I just thought from a buisiness point of view that RC would be falling over themselves to make this happen. We could not get through and never got our appointment. I wrote all of this on the comment card which I left with the customer service desk on the last day. I fully expected to hear SOMETHING? I never did. 1 week after I got home I booked with my TA and kissed my next cruise OBC goodbye. I will still be sailing again but that OBC would have been nice and I do feel a bit cheated out of it. I have mentioned it from time to time on these boards and in my review but I never understood until now that it is actually difficult to book a next cruise on board. Silly me.

Out of all the crew members I came into contact with on the ship the LA agents are the least friendly. You would think in sales they would have to have some kind of personality. It's sad that the guy who cleans your toilets every day has a better personality then somoene who gets to sit at a desk a few hours a day and make reservations. Maybe next time I'll try to book through my room steward.:p

Isn't that the truth?? You are so right!!!!

tell me what LA means please...been reading this thread and cannot get that..lol

We tried to explain to the LA that we just wanted to put our deposit down and that's all. He said it wasn't worth the time when we could just do it when we got home. He didn't mention the sheet of paper or anything like that. It wasn't until the last night of the cruise we learned about that. We were then told it was too late. It's all good now.

Sounds like a bad pair of LAs. I can't imagine it ever being too late to fill out a simple piece of paper and dropping it into a box. You're still on the ship, correct? The company still wants to secure future revenue, correct?

I think it's time to remove the first LA as a lesson to the second, and then provide the second LA additional training on how to successfully do her job.

Archived