Cruising from San Pedro-Which airport?

dixieva

We are booked on the Island Princess April 19th next year going to Hawaii. We did not book air through the cruise line and will be making our own air arrangements.

Which airport is better-LAX or Long Beach? Which is closer to the port in San Pedro? We will have to find transportation from the airport to the port. We are flying in the day before the cruise departs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We will be flying from the east coast-Virginia.

This is our first Princess cruise after several times on RCCL, Carnival and Holland America and we are very excited. We have already gotten valuable information from these boards regarding Princess.

Thanks for the help!

You might also want to look at Orange County (SNA). All three are close enough (less than 1 hour drive, probably closer to 30 minutes.)

Choose the airline that you can get the best deal on to any of the three.

Greg

Long Beach is by far the closest to both ports at Long Beach and San Pedro. Living in Long Beach, I have watched the growth of our airport with interest. Long Beach (LGB) is served by American Airlines http://www.aa.com , Jet Blue http://www.jetblue.com/ , America West http://www.americawest.com/default.asp , Alaska Airlines http://www.alaskaair.com/ , and Horizon Airlines.

Jet Blue is a low cost carrier and very popular. I have been told that American will match fares.

We did this same trip last April (2004) on the Regal, also from the east coast (JAX, FL). Here's what we did: we arranged our own air using ff points from the credit card, and flew into LGB. It was sooooo easy!! The airport is TINY -- you walk on the tarmac to board!! Security was a breeze, nothing like the horror stories you hear of LAX. It did cost a little more, but we were using points so it didn''t matter. We flew American, but Jet Blue flies from NY to LGB cheaply. The airlines flying into LGB are limited. The taxi had a set price of $17 to the town of Long Beach -- we had reservations at the Hyatt Regency thru priceline for $55. Highly recommended, very close to Rainbow Harbor with restaurants and shops and scenic views, & the Aquarium and Oueen Mary Hotel are close also. I would suggest checking out Jet Blue and a flight to NY or wherever you need to go to pick them up. LGB airport is a wonderful secret!!

Unfortunately, Princess is no longer sailing out of Long Beach, so the Queen Mary Hotel and such are not close to the port of San Pedro. (I wish they were sailing out of LB, it was nice last fall.) OC is far, and mostly more expensive to fly in and out of and definately more costly when it comes to getting transportation to San Pedro.

LGB is definately less of a hassle than LAX, and they are about the same distance from SP. So it would probably depend on what fares you can get from either airport and what flights, and weigh that with the hassle factor between the airports.

For me, since I am a terrible flier, I would want non-stop flights, low fares, and hassles in that order.

The original poster said she was spending a pre-cruise night in CA, that is why I mentioned what is close to LGB Hyatt-- personally I'll stay in LGB again next time and pay the taxi fare to the port. We stayed post-cruise at the Sheraton in San Pedro and the hotel nor the area was as nice (and it cost $20 more) plus the longer taxi ride to the airport.

Unfortunately, Princess is no longer sailing out of Long Beach, so the Queen Mary Hotel and such are not close to the port of San Pedro.

Princess' website shows the Diamond Princess doing 7 day Mexican cruises out of Long Beach, starting in 2 weeks. We are looking at this itinerary for next winter (on the Sapphire), and depending on which website you look at, the Sapphire either sails from Long Beach or San Pedro.

Princess' website shows the Diamond Princess doing 7 day Mexican cruises out of Long Beach, starting in 2 weeks. We are looking at this itinerary for next winter (on the Sapphire), and depending on which website you look at, the Sapphire either sails from Long Beach or San Pedro.

Dan - Princess switched the Diamond's sailings to San Pedro.

According to http://www.mapquest.com LGB to San Pedro is 17.59 miles. LAX to San Pedro is 19.53 miles.

However, the traffic situation is significantly better from LGB. You will be out of LGB and on your way much quicker as well. The taxi’s, supper shuttle are literally a few steps from baggage claim at LGB as well. The trip from LGB to San Pedro my not involve a freeway at all. The traffic in, around, and from LAX may be horrendous if there is a problem on the freeway.

Thank you all for the information and advice. We will check out Long Beach since it is much smaller than LAX. Not sure what we will be able to find but will check it out. We are hoping for a direct flight since we really hate to fly and don't want to have to change planes. I don't think there are any direct flights out of our local airport (Richmond International) so we are going to check Dulles. We are about 2 hours from there.

Thanks again for the help!

Right... check out Jet Blue from IAD (Dulles) to LGB (Long Beach). They have non-stops and are relatively inexpensive. Plus, their flights are non-stop.

I wouldn't go to Orange County. I fly into there to visit my sister and it's generally quite a bit more expensive than to LAX. It's also a hike from there to San Pedro.

Shipkicker-Thanks for posting the airline links. I have already checked it out.

Jet Blue has the best fare. I have never flown on this airline before. Have any of you been on Jet Blue and how did you like it? I love the idea of a non-stop flight from Dulles and Jet Blue does fly into Long Beach so we are really interested in them.

Thanks again for all your help!

I love Jet Blue, used them last year. Direct flight from LGB to FLL and will be flying again in Oct. I even booked at a higher rate and when they ran the special for $89 each way, they credited my account for the difference. They do have snacks & drinks, but you can bring your own food, just a note the seats from row 17 back have 2 more inches leg room. :D

Sounds like Jet Blue will be the way to go for us. Thanks for the info about the seating, would hate to be too cramped on such a long flight.

I checked their schedule and they only have up to May first for our return flight so I will keep checking. We don't return until the 4th.

Thanks again for all the information!

Archived