Dawn Princess question

here2cruise

We'll be on the Dawn for the 10 day Alaskan cruise July 16th out of San Francisco and will be in cabin B429. DH is wondering if our mini suite will be the smaller or larger in square footage. The cruise book shows the size as 370 to 536. Anyone stayed in or near B429? We booked this cruise last march and time just isnt going fast enough as we're wanting to go now! Also, any excursion ideas?

This is a Toto question because she knows all things about Sun Class minis. I believe the minis on Baja deck, midship, are of the smaller square footage...but you won't be disappointed at all in these mini suites. They really are mini "suites" as opposed to the larger staterooms that you find on the Coral and Grand Class ships. I've stayed in one on Sun Princess and one on Dawn Princess. They are brilliant.

You will be happy with this room choice. The Dawn is a really nice ship and the itinerary you chose is fabulous. It is so nice sailing under the Golden Gate!! Alaska is so beautiful --- you will not be at a loss for things to do.

In Juneau, we did a whale watching tour --- saw tons of wildlife including many whales. We also did the Mendenhall Glacier tour --- a bus tour that travels to the visitor's center and then into the Yukon (I might be getting my ports mixed up). I think the Kayaking up to the glacier looks like a gas.

In Ketchikan, there are many areas to just walk to and howls at the lumberjack show. You don't have to purchase this off the ship --- you can just walk up and buy the tickets from the nearby shop. They will tell you what the times are. It is just a few blocks from the ship. In Skagway, one time we took the panning for gold trip...yes, this is the one with the Yukon. This was a lot of fun. The Juneau one included the fish hatchery...very interesting but would I do it again??

In Juneau, if you are up for something a bit touristy, the Red Dog Salloon --- later in the day --- is a must. Once the piano player is there, it is a blast. In Ketchikan, we took the tram up Roberts Mnt as well -- great views from up there --- you can also get there from the Married Man's Walk (just past Dolly's House of ill repute). There is a hotel with totems and a nice brunch. Some friends went hiking and met up with a bear....maybe not so much fun.

Sitka is a very interesting town --- with a strong Russian influence. We paid to watch the Russian folkloric dance show --- well worth it (under $10), friends went on a kayaking trip. Either would be great. They also had a great museum there but no great place to stop and get something hot (or cold) to drink.

Shopping includes the same stuff at every port, although Sitka had some shops with unique items.

Hope this helps. Have a great time.

LOL-I heard that. ;)

OK, this is what I have on the minis on Sun Class ships after researching for previous cruises.

On the Dawn the square footage of the minis (remember, this includes balconys which make up a lot of the extra footage for each as it is included in the overall size). Baja Deck aft minis are 365 sq ft including balcony, Caribe Deck aft minis are 536 sq ft including balcony, and Dolphin Deck aft minis are 413 sq ft including balcony. Remember, most of the difference is in the balcony size and not the actual square footage of the cabin itself. So, the preferred category for the largest balcony on the Dawn would be the Caribe Deck, followed by the Dolphin Deck and then the Baja Deck. But no worrys, they are all wonderful, just some have larger balconys then others.

Have a great cruise.

I don't have the square footage on the Midship mini suites, but they are all exactly the same, so it doesn't matter which one you choose. Personally, I would go with location only on the AC minis. Even the balconys are the same size, so it's six of one, half dozen of another.

I had done research mainly on the aft minis so we would know which one we wanted to book for the Dawn. Ended up booking a full suite on Caribe as the price was just too good to pass up! I will admit, the Caribe Deck has the largest balcony I have ever seen on the Dawn P.

The mid ship mini suites are the 370 sq ft size as their balcony is smaller than those at the aft. The mid ship minis, in terms of space, are virtually two Ocean view balcony rooms and they are great.

In my opinion the huge advantage with the aft minis (indeed the aft full suites as well) is the view, you see everything. We had an aft on an Alaskan cruise on Sun Princess and it was fantastic - watch and listen to what is happening up front on the TV and see what is happening behind from your large balcony.

We were on the Dawn to Alaska the first week of June. We sailed out of San Francisco. As we left the port they played "I left my heart in San Francisco". Alaska is simply beautiful. If you have a chance don't miss the Mendenhall Glacier it is awesome. For someone who didn't want to cruise to Alaska I cannot wait till we go there again. It is a different kind of cruise than the Caribbean but it is so beautiful. Take lots of pictures:)

Archived