Booking through RCI vs. TA?

We've always booked directly through RCI, either by phone or online.

We're planning the Southern Caribbean itinerary for Jan.3,2009 on Serenade of the Seas. I'd like to spend New Year's eve through the 3rd in SJ -- flying from Atlanta.

Quesion is, should we hire a TA to get better deals? We are C&A members, so we use the savings certificates and watch prices to see if they go down. What advantage would I have by using a TA, if any?

Also, do they charge a fee or just get commission from the cruise lines?

Sorry if that's a dumb question..but at my age (27), we've only used online services!!:cool:

TA's get paid by the vendors they sell for. RCCL will pay them a commission on the cruise portion. However, most of them will charge a $10 pp fee for air; some won't. You need to ask.

You can find lots of deals on your own on the internet, but a good TA will have experience with the providers, maybe have been to SJ.

I suggest you first go to the San Juan, PR board here on CC, and see what the threads there have to offer. Then shop around with the online travel sites to see what they have to offer.

We use the same TA, because even though I do all my own research, I like her to handle the details. She also went nose-to-nose with our airfare travel agency and RCCL when we had a serious problem in 2005. THAT'S what a good TA is for, too: they help you with the problems, not just the bookings.

You won't pay extra to use one. It's a matter of personal choice, but be sure to ask about that air booking fee.

I'd also check and see what packages Delta, United, American, and Jet Blue have to offer in SJ.

A TA has the same prices as RCCL - RCCL doesn't allow discounting. A TA may also give you a "gift" of a bottle of wine, an onboard credit, etc. Most do not charge any fees (the cruise line pays them) , but may charge you a cancellation fee if you cancel.

You can book directly through RCL and then find a TA that will give you a gift and transfer it to them before you make final payment. That will give you time to compare several TA's to see who will give you the best "gift."

TA's get paid by the vendors they sell for. RCCL will pay them a commission on the cruise portion. However, most of them will charge a $10 pp fee for air; some won't. You need to ask.

You can find lots of deals on your own on the internet, but a good TA will have experience with the providers, maybe have been to SJ.

I suggest you first go to the San Juan, PR board here on CC, and see what the threads there have to offer. Then shop around with the online travel sites to see what they have to offer.

We use the same TA, because even though I do all my own research, I like her to handle the details. She also went nose-to-nose with our airfare travel agency and RCCL when we had a serious problem in 2005. THAT'S what a good TA is for, too: they help you with the problems, not just the bookings.

You won't pay extra to use one. It's a matter of personal choice, but be sure to ask about that air booking fee.

I'd also check and see what packages Delta, United, American, and Jet Blue have to offer in SJ.

Finding a GOOD TA is the trick !! ;)

I haven't succeeded yet. Wish I knew where they were all hiding. :rolleyes:

I switched to a TA today. I had originally booked directly with RCCL, however, the TA had I guess what is called group bookings (not sure what you call it) held and I saved $318 per cabin (I have two) over the RCCL price and also got $100 onboard credit per cabin and a bottle of wine per cabin. All that particular TA does is cruises. I think it is a good deal for me, since we are paying for both cabins. It is our first cruise!

I switched to a TA today. I had originally booked directly with RCCL, however, the TA had I guess what is called group bookings (not sure what you call it) held and I saved $318 per cabin (I have two) over the RCCL price and also got $100 onboard credit per cabin and a bottle of wine per cabin. All that particular TA does is cruises. I think it is a good deal for me, since we are paying for both cabins. It is our first cruise!

As a TA myself, it is sooooooo refreshing to see your posts about successful dealings and good the deals that you received. Too many times on these boards, TAs are trashed, usually by people who don't really have a clue what they are talking about. It's nice to hear about the great deals you received because yes, they are out there and group bookings are a great way to participate in these savings. I wish you all continued good luck and happy cruising! Nothing like it in the world!

Wow jts510, a little Jekyll & Hyde thing there, huh?.

You should interview a TA, as you would any other service provider. Ask them about any fees, including cancellation fees if you change your mind. Also ask if they will honor the full value of any price drops or coupons offered by the cruise line. Ask about acccessibility by email and other ways, often people seem to book with a TA, and then they are frustrated when they see something online or have a question, and can't reach anyone. So do a little Q&A and price checking, to see if they might suit your purposes...or offer something that you wouldn't get by booking on your own. :)

Wow jts510, a little Jekyll & Hyde thing there, huh?.

You should interview a TA, as you would any other service provider. Ask them about any fees, including cancellation fees if you change your mind. Also ask if they will honor the full value of any price drops or coupons offered by the cruise line. Ask about acccessibility by email and other ways, often people seem to book with a TA, and then they are frustrated when they see something online or have a question, and can't reach anyone. So do a little Q&A and price checking, to see if they might suit your purposes...or offer something that you wouldn't get by booking on your own. :)

Jekyll & Hyde thing? Excuse me???

There are a few travel agencies that specialize in cruises and have websites and telephone service. If you do a very basic web search you will find them. They often have lower priced category cabins left when RCCL is sold out. I have definitely found that pricing varies among agencies.

Archived