Dolphin Encounter - with cruise line vs. on own

Dandy8

We'll be on the Liberty in April and I would like to do the dolphin swim in Cozumel at Chanakanaab park with my daughter who's 8. I was looking on line and found the Royal Dolphin Swim that the park offers for $149pp. RCCL also offers an excursion for the same price. I would like to know from anyone who's experienced this:

Is the excursion offered by the cruise line the same as if I booked it myself ahead of time?

What are some pros and cons to booking with RCCL?

I am a little hesitant to book on my own since if we miss the port for some reason, I'll lose my money (We were on the Enchantment back in November and due to the ship's problems we missed one of the ports)

Any input would be great. thanks!

We did the $149 thru RCI in October at Chanakanaab Park. We booked onnline and the description there was NOT the description in the Explorations brochure in the cabin. I thought I was paying for free swim time with the dolphins but all I got was touch, kiss, hug, and a dorsal fin ride. Not what you see Samantha Brown doing on her Freedom of the Seas show. You could see the bigger other pools where people were free swimming after doing what we did. I probably should've squawked but I'm not a complainer. The $149 thru RCI definately was a rip-off, I had booked the Royal Dolphin Swim online and it certainly was not royal. I'd book directly with the park. We did buy the video and I hadn't taken my underwater camera because the RCI webiste said no cameras are allowed. Heck, they mean only water proof cameras are allowed. So take a disposable underwater camera (Kodak at Wal-Mart is around $9.95-11.95) We did have 2 kids in our group of 12 that were maybe 9-10. You stand on a platform with lifejackets on so if your 8 yr old is short she'll be treading water the whole time. The enclosures are deep, sea life swims in and out and around you. Had lots of big pretty tropical fish swimming around us while waiting our turn with the dolphin.

The $149 swim adventure offered with the cruise line is not the Royal swim. The same swim adventure at Dolphin Discovery dot com is something like $103 and includes admission to the park but not transportation to and from.

We just did this Christmas Day and booked through the park. It's a better price. www.dolphindiscovery.com. Just my DD 14 and myself and we loved it! It is refundable if the ship does not make the port you can read it on thier website. We took a cab there and back. I think it was $10.00 each way. They have cabs at the park waiting. It is a beautiful park and you'll be fine on your own! As OP said don't forget an underwater camera for the dolphins and the sealife! We saw more sealife there than we did the previous day snorkeling in Belize.

We also received a coupon for a % off for he store by booking through the park which we used when we purchased the video. They also have lockers there included to store your belongings! Enjoy..it's a chance of a lifetime!!

Just noticed we'll be getting off LOS when your getting on!!!

We were there last March and booked the Royal Swim through another shore excursions web site that our TA reccommended. DCL offered a dolphin swim but it was not the Royal Swim. We booked the Royal Swim and took a cab to the park. Cab ride was $10 each way. The park was nice and the dolphin swim was fabulous!

The Royal Swim gave you time to pet and hug the dolphins. We were in a group of 8. The highlights were the dorsal fin tow (warning - do not say wow as you are being towed as you will swallow sea water:eek: ) and the foot push (where each dolphin pushes your feet and you are up out of the water - think Sea World shows). There is no "free swim" with them. We have done another dolpin swim in Puerto Vallarta where there was some free swim time. That was awesome as well. It was like playing with two large 800 pound cats! They came in close for petting and then would playfully flick you with their tail. That program had a pectoral tow only.

WARNING - book the Royal Swim on the early side and see if you can find out if your ship stays on its own time or port time. The DCL Magic did not stay on port time and was and hour ahead of Cozumel. We booked a swim for 2:00 (which was port time) which was 3:00 ship time. While we made it back to the ship on time, but I was still stressing out about it. The swim started late (to give the dolpins a rest) and lasted about an hour. Then as soon as you are done you are ushered upstairs to see the DVD of the swim, then taken downstairs to see if you want to buy it and phots that were taken. This takes time. So we did not leave the park until almost 5:00 (ship time) to get back on by 6:00. Initially I thought 2:00 would be fine, as our itnerary did not show us leaving Cozumel until 8:00, but they changed it to 6:00 on board.

The company is Shore Trips. If you can't find it on line, PM me and I'll give you the web site.

Definitely book the Royal Swim with Dolphin discovery. We did it because we were suspicious the the vague description of the excursion in RCI's brochure.

We knew we wanted the Royal Swim but couldn't tell whether RCI's was the same as the one offered by Dolphin Discovery. Other posters here have now confirmed that our suspicious were well founded.

As I recall the cost in August was around $149 though I could be wrong.

We just did the dolphin swim on our Navigator cruise 12/27-31. We booked directly thru the Dolphin discovery and saved a lot of money. Paid around 100 bucks each. 10 dollar cab each way. Park admission included. My daughter was 7 years old (by the cruise line too young for the swim) I corresponded via email with the park manager and was given permission to take her anyway. She had a wonderful time and did everything the adults did. Very personal experience. Would do again next time we are there.

I just booked a group of 8 for the Royal Swim on April 14th through dolphindiscovery.com earlier today. This is a better swim then the one offered through the cruise line. Also, they have a special right now where you get park admission included, and also transportation to and from the pier is included. (they give you coupons for the taxis).

You stand on a platform with lifejackets on so if your 8 yr old is short she'll be treading water the whole time.

How short are we talking? She's 4ft tall now. I guess with the life jacket she should be fine regardless.

Thank you to all for your great input. Looks like I'll be booking it directly through the park. I will definately remember to bring my water camera!

How much are the pictures and video that they offer?

My daughter was 5 when she was on the platform and was standing with her head and neck above water. She was about 46 inches at the time. She loved it. There was a girl even shorter then her and she just floated with the life jacket - no problem.

We booked with Dolphin Discovery too. Booking with the cruise means wasted time waiting and getting on buses to and from. I much prefer hoping in a cab and going at my own pace. We went to a beach first thinking the park wouldn't have much but they have pools, a poolside bar, beach area, a place for snorkeling, playground and a gift shop. I would have much rather spent the day there as the beach we went to (forget the name) was wall to wall lounge chairs and people. The park was much less crowded and more room to roam.

I just booked a group of 8 for the Royal Swim on April 14th through dolphindiscovery.com earlier today. This is a better swim then the one offered through the cruise line. Also, they have a special right now where you get park admission included, and also transportation to and from the pier is included. (they give you coupons for the taxis).

Great deal! Did you have to put in a coupon code to get the promotion or is it listed on your confirmation when you book?

My daughter was 5 when she was on the platform and was standing with her head and neck above water. She was about 46 inches at the time. She loved it. There was a girl even shorter then her and she just floated with the life jacket - no problem.

We booked with Dolphin Discovery too. Booking with the cruise means wasted time waiting and getting on buses to and from. I much prefer hoping in a cab and going at my own pace. We went to a beach first thinking the park wouldn't have much but they have pools, a poolside bar, beach area, a place for snorkeling, playground and a gift shop. I would have much rather spent the day there as the beach we went to (forget the name) was wall to wall lounge chairs and people. The park was much less crowded and more room to roam.

That's great to know. I'm also glad that they'll be lots to do there. My DH & DS6 will be coming to watch and I was hoping there is stuff to keep my DS occupied.

I would definately book with RCCL. Last year we swam with the dolphins in the Bahamas. The swim and the shuttle boat both ran late and we were rushed getting back to the ship, but we didn't have to worry b/c we booked through the cruise line, and they weren't leaving without us!

now I'll have to go back and try again! And I'm mad at the misleading description and title from RCI. Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice...However I think you'll have to book directly with dolphin discovery as the other independent tour operators (shoreexcursions, grandcaymancruiseexcursions etc) have dropped dolphin swims thanks to pressure from PETA. I couldn't book a dolphin swim through the links for Cozumel at grandcaymancruiseexcursions because they said it was harmful to the dolphins.

How short are we talking? She's 4ft tall now. I guess with the life jacket she should be fine regardless.

Thank you to all for your great input. Looks like I'll be booking it directly through the park. I will definately remember to bring my water camera!

How much are the pictures and video that they offer?

You need to "watch" them on the pics and video prices. We ended up paying $58.00 for the video and four pics and had a $20.00 off coupon so I think that was pretty good. $58.00 is not what they started out at though...AND It was my DD and myself and next to us was a father and DD and they just wanted ONE pic. The sales person was really pressuring us that if we bought a large qty all together they would give us a better price. The man said we're not with them and they still try pushing them. Talk them down on the price, walk away and come back in a few if you have to...the pics and video are really priceless!!!! Also note when paying it is in pesos, not USD.

ENJOY!!!!!

Definitely book direct with dolphindiscovery.com just get a taxi around $10 to Chankanaab Park, then you pay $16 each cash only to enter the park.

Allow 2-3 hours there in all, I would book late morning or lunch time. If your ship doesn't get into Cozumel for weather reasons they will give you a complete refund. It was a THRILLING day. We did the Royal Swim- it's expensive but so memorable. :)

we booked directly w/ Dolphin Discovery as well. This is one excursion not to book w/RCI. hey don't offer the Royal swim just an encounter. not nearly as good.

We did the foot push, dorsal tow, they jumped over our heads, the kiss and flipper shake/hold and then we had about 20 min. where they swam in and out and around the 6 of us in the water. best excursion we have ever taken!

We were the last of the day and also a little worried about time so we told them up front we were not buying the video and they rushed the pictures to let us look at the we bought a few at what I thought was a good price (don't remember now how much) They are some of the best pictures we have ever had taken they really do a great job with that to.\Book early since they tend to fill up with the small # per group and try to get earlier in the day if possible.

We also booked directly w/ Dolphin Discovery for our Liberty cruise in November. DH and DS9 did the royal and DS5 and I did the encounter. Now on the website, it said that kids 3 and under were free. But they gave me DS5 for free as well so it was very economical. Also, we booked for 11AM for Royal and when we got there they asked if we wanted to do the earlier group. DH and DS were in a group of only about 7 people and it was great. While we were watching them, the cruise line group arrived.

I cannot tell you what kind of chaos there was. It was definitely not the royal swim..more like the encounter, where you get to pet and touch them and learn about them but no dorsal/fin push.

By the time I got DS5 fed and DH/DS9 were finishing up, it was time for me and DS5 to go (I think we were at 1 PM). We waited for them to call us and when they did, there was no one else in our group. It was me, DS and the instructor. We had a private session and it was terrific. The entire place had emptied out of all the cruise line people. We looked over the videos, got some pictures and were able to get back by cab ($10/each way) in plenty of time to enjoy some afternoon time on the ship.

I cannot say enough about booking directly. The people were lovely (we had some issues with availability and they called me at home and got us all set up, the price was great and we had a great day. Right now, I'm looking at the collage of our dolphin kissing photos on the wall in my living room, remembering our fabulous day.

Great deal! Did you have to put in a coupon code to get the promotion or is it listed on your confirmation when you book?

This special is listed on the Cozumel page of the dolphindiscovery.com website. You just need to email them when you get your confirmation that you will be doing the free transportation offer. They emailed me back and said that when I get to the park I bring my confirmation number to the check in and they give me two taxi coupons, one for the taxi that brought me there, one for the way back.

This special is listed on the Cozumel page of the dolphindiscovery.com website. You just need to email them when you get your confirmation that you will be doing the free transportation offer. They emailed me back and said that when I get to the park I bring my confirmation number to the check in and they give me two taxi coupons, one for the taxi that brought me there, one for the way back.

This promotion applies for reservations made as of February 1st, 2007 and only for Dolphin Discovery bookings (Web sites & Internet Sales Department).

Yeah, I did see it listed on the website but didn't see it noted when I went to go to final payment. Thanks!

According to our schedule the itinerary has us at Cozumel at 10:00am. I am assuming this is ship time, so that means it's 9:00am Cozumel time. If I book a 12:00 that should be good right?, since that will technically be 1:00 ship time? The ship will be in Cozumel until 7:00pm so that leaves us plenty of time at the park.

Thanks for everyone's input. It sounds like this will be a day we will never forget!!! I'm so excited!!!!

This promotion applies for reservations made as of February 1st, 2007 and only for Dolphin Discovery bookings (Web sites & Internet Sales Department).

Did you mean 2007 or 2008? If it's 2007 I guess I missed the boat on that one. They do have on the website that the park admission is included at this time.

Archived