Celebrity vs. HAL

2serendip

Both have very good products. We have cruised both lines and we prefer X. The main reason is the food. Liver and onions and meat loaf on the main dinner menu made me laff. I did have the liver and onions on the night it was served and I loved it. Here is a major difference for me. When a desert calls for whipped cream X has it. Hal has cool whip. That's just me. Flip a coin.

I prefer Celebrity over HAL in terms of food, service and activities. We are not big night people but we found there was little to do on a HAL cruise at night. For us, there is no question that we would select Celebrity over HAL>

Keith

Not sure if you've had a chance to look at the review section of CC, but I always find the member reviews helpful when deciding on a cruise...in particular, the reviews for the itinerary that you are planning on doing:

Mercury reviews: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=18

Zaandam reviews: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=128

I prefer HAL though I have not been on the Zaandam. I have been on Mercury and personally would not do so again. Yes, it was 2 years ago and supposedly the ship has received the sprucing up it badly needed but once was enough for me.

I prefer HAL for the cabin size, bathroom size, wonderful bedding, Neptune Lounge, generous wine policy, Elemis amenities, nice balcony furniture, full room service menu in every cabin (served on heated trays to stay warm) and all the small details that make me feel special on their cruises.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

In reply to JRMel, one reason I enjoy HAL so much is because of the meatloaf and liver and onions. We just got back from Azamara Quest, and although the food was good, I'd have been very happy to see either on the menu. In two weeks I ate a lot of steak because that's one of the the most down-to-earth items they offered. I really enjoy comfort food better than the fancier stuff; I guess you could say that's a sign of no class, but whatever it is, that's me. We've been on two X cruises (including Azamara), and four HAL, among several other lines, and I still like HAL best. Especially if you have access to the Neptune Lounge--that's what makes us pay for a suite as opposed to a regular cabin on HAL.

Archived