has anyone brought their CPAP on board?

jagsfan

I just started using a CPAP and am breathing so much better at night I

don't want to leave it home. We're doing a TA in March and flying home.

I'm sure I'll need an extension cord to get it close to my bed, but I'm

supposed to use distilled water in it. Wondering if anyone out there has

experience with this problem...........Mimi

just email special_needs@rccl.com (note there is a _ between special and needs) and let them know you will need the extension cord and water and it will be in your room when you check in or shortly there after. My husband has been using his CPAP for a couple of years.

If you are flying do NOT check it and it is NOT counted towards your carry on allowance as it is a medical device.

My traveling companion last month uses a CPAP. We did what others have suggested. Notified special needs. The extension cord and a gallon of distilled water were in the cabin when we arrived.

The only problem she did have was w/the TSA agents at the airport. She didn't listen the first time and ended up w/some grief from the agents in FLL because she didn't take the unit out of her carry-on when going through security. Also, FYI, the TSA agent in Detroit told her it's okay to carry whatever distilled water she needed as long as there is a doctor's statement to verify it's use. She didn't take any distilled water down for our one night pre-cruise but could have as she found out.

Cathy

I have been using a CPAP for 5 years and can't stand to be without it. From the first night I had it, it made a world of difference.

I have both requested an extension cord and brought my own. If you request one of theirs, that's just one less thing to pack.

Sue, I've never thought about asking for distilled water instead of carting my own. Do they charge for this water?

-- Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on... and I'm doing it much easier these days

You actually don't need to bring distilled water. The water produced by the ship that comes out of the tap in the bathroom is essentially distilled water. I used this ofor two weeks on a Baltic cruise this summer without problem. Do bring an extension cord of about 12 feet with you as there is only one outlet in the cabin, and it is across the room. It's a good idea to just leave the cord in your carrying case. Makes it simpler to stay in regular hotel rooms too. The TSA regulations do now require that you take the unit out of the case while going through security. Saves a few minutes if you do this ahead of time. Howe that helps

I brought mine on our last cruise. Unfortunately, RCCL Special Needs Dept dropped the ball (or the ships crew did) and failed to have the distilled water or the extension cord in my cabin. It took me 2 days of requests to get them. If you can pack an extension cord, do so. The water is really not a big deal and you can use the ships water. We have needed to use RCCL Special Needs Dept on our last 3 cruises and they dropped the ball 2 out of 3 times. Not the end of the world kind of stuff but if they are in the business of taking care of passengers with these needs then they should be proficient at it. It is most likely a communication problem between the corporate offices and the ship. I guess it is like any other area of customer service... on the decline everywhere... not just RCCL.:(

for distilled water instead of carting my own. Do they charge for this water?

-- Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on... and I'm doing it much easier these days

The water is free, but do what others are saying and just use ship's tap water. I think we will

I have an electrical stimulation machine for my right hand, long story-had an accident and a couple surgeries and now have to use this machine 4x daily to help regain the proper use of the hand...yes, I am cruising with a bum hand! Cruise was planned well before the accident, I need this cruise now more than ever!

Anyhoo, this machine when packed in it's bag is a little bigger than the average make up bag. I am going to carry it in my purse and will hand it over with my quart sized bag of 3 oz liquids, but do I need any special note from my doctor to have it? I am not scheduled to see him again till after we cruise but if I need a note I'll have to get one from him before.

Also, it doesn't plug into anything, runs on batteries, should I leave the batteries in it? I do'nt see the harm since others fly with battery powered items. I am just wanting to be extra cautious because this machine is on loan to me thru the insurance company and it would stink if anything happened to it $$$$$$$.

Thanks!

Also, it doesn't plug into anything, runs on batteries, should I leave the batteries in it? I do'nt see the harm since others fly with battery powered items. I am just wanting to be extra cautious because this machine is on loan to me thru the insurance company and it would stink if anything happened to it $$$$$$$.

Thanks!

What kind of batteries? There is a new regulation with batteries. Here is the link.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm

I have an electrical stimulation machine for my right hand, long story-had an accident and a couple surgeries and now have to use this machine 4x daily to help regain the proper use of the hand...yes, I am cruising with a bum hand! Cruise was planned well before the accident, I need this cruise now more than ever!

Anyhoo, this machine when packed in it's bag is a little bigger than the average make up bag. I am going to carry it in my purse and will hand it over with my quart sized bag of 3 oz liquids, but do I need any special note from my doctor to have it? I am not scheduled to see him again till after we cruise but if I need a note I'll have to get one from him before.

Thanks!

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm

Here is the TSA link for medical issues. There are numbers to call at the bottom for specific questions.

I am so glad you asked this question as my DH and I were just talking about how to bring his with him. I don’t think we would want to check it, and so good to know it will not count as a carry on.

I will e-mail once it is closer to our cruise time. And check on the regulations.

The CPAP is a machine that helps you breath at night. It has mask that attaches to your face and forces air into your lungs. The water will warm up and help your throat stay moist. Now I don’t use it, my DH does … maybe someone will have a better explanation….I just listen to it …. The humming sound actually helps me sleep.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I need to know what is a CPAP?

Continuous Positive Air Pressure , is a machine for helping someone with sleep apnea (and those who had to listen to them snore):D:p:)

And C R A P is what an OSA sufferer feels like after a night without the CPAP!

I'm glad I found out now that Special Needs has a rep for dropping the ball. I'll be adding an extension cord and power strip to my packing list for next month's journey. My doctor also gave me a prescription for bottles of distilled water - the prescription labels will make it easier to tote them through security.

I've been using a CPAP for quite some time. We were in Miami a year ago waiting for the next day to board Explorer of the Seas---one of the fasteners broke off of the mask--ten o'clock at night! Panic city! Took a cab to buy super glue at Walgreens. I now carry a tube in the pack. After I got home I learned that the medical supplier has an 800 number that will respond to any land emergency within hours relative to CPAPs. On an earlier cruise, the room steward had an extension cord for me within ten minutes. Bravo RCCL.

Portseeker

Just to be clear – has anyone needed to have a doctor’s note to bring it through security at the airport? Or just for the water? I don’t want to run into problems at the last minute.

Thanks!

Never needed a doctor's note for CPAP. Most units have a sticker affixed on it by the manufacturer stating that this is medical equipment. That has always worked for me.

I've never been in 2 airports that handle CPAP's the same (like everything else TSA does...no consistency). I've never needed any paperwork, but I never know if they will want it out of the bag, if they will take it out after x-ray, or if they will want to swab it or not.

I have an extension cord in the bag, I've never asked for one, but I've had a very large gauge (think 30amp!) one show up after the cabin attendant saw the unit. Not always, but sometimes.

I don't bring the humidifier onboard anymore, but I don't stress over distilled water. The machine will not break if you use regular water (the water never touches it) and you won't die from it (the vapor of any water you drink is not going to kill you). It just lets you go longer without rinsing the tank out and cleaning it. My opinions only, based on talks with licensed caregivers, your mileage will vary.

thank you all for your answers......and I probably would have brought a

3 ft extension cord, so glad to know I need 12 ft......and a tube of glue

just in case. not that I'm very good at repairs of small parts.

I'm used to being thoroughly searched as I have 2 joint replacements and

always have to go to the little glass room!

As far as snoring, I have to say my husband is thrilled not to have to

listen to me any more. The only thing is the first time I uncoupled the

tube to go to the bathroom he fell out of bed laughing. I have a 2 foot

extension tube, and leave it dangling. He says I look like an elephant with

a gas mask and a swaying trunk! nice to be able to make people happy.

For anyone that suspects a problem, the sleep study wasn't bad at all,

and I now get 8 hours of sleep at night instead of an hour on and an hour

off because of being jolted awake by my own snoring.

Happy Cruising.........Mimi

• 2 weeks later...

Just an important note to this thread. The CPAC machine counted as our 1 carryone in Heathrow Airport in London. Really caused lots of problems and shifting around stuff in carryon because your purse counts as your 1 carryon there.This happened last June.

Also don't relay on info from cruise desk as they didn't give us correct answer about this when we asked.We had just had a friend go through this airport and she warned us about 1 carryon including purse.

Archived