Preventing lost luggage

Jaglady10

Do you think there's a greater chance of having your luggage make it to your final destination (if you have a connecting flight) if you check it clear through, or if you check it to each intermediate point? Do they even allow you to do that? We're flying Pittsburgh to LGA New York to Miami, leaving Pittsburgh at 5:00 PM on a Friday. We have a 2 hr layover in NY. I'm not one who would do well if my luggage got lost!

My son lives with us and works for Northworst, I mean Northwest and my wife is a lost baggage person for Airtrans and both have said you have to check it to your final stop. But really the odds are high that it won't make it. The last quarter stats(July,august,Sep.) for Airtran my wife said was only 5.5 bag per 1000 bags. If you are really worried about them UPS or FEDX them to your hotel you will be staying at.

Do you think there's a greater chance of having your luggage make it to your final destination (if you have a connecting flight) if you check it clear through, or if you check it to each intermediate point? Do they even allow you to do that?
Many airlines will not check bags to an intermediate point if you have a ticket for the through-journey. This is to avoid ticket/fare fraud. So that's the first problem.

The second problem is that in many cases, you simply don't have time to reclaim your bags and re-check them at an intermediate point. Even if you have two hours, imagine what it would be like if your inbound was 30 minutes late and there's a 45-minute queue at the check-in desk for re-checking your bags. You'd be in serious trouble.

The third problem is that to get access to your checked bags, you have to go outside the secure area. You would need to re-clear security to go back to your departure gate. That adds more time.

My son lives with us and works for Northworst, I mean Northwest and my wife is a lost baggage person for Airtrans and both have said you have to check it to your final stop. But really the odds are high that it won't make it. The last quarter stats(July,august,Sep.) for Airtran my wife said was only 5.5 bag per 1000 bags. If you are really worried about them UPS or FEDX them to your hotel you will be staying at.

What does that mean - 5.5 bags per 1000? Does that mean 5.5 LOST bags per thousand? If it does, I wouldn't take that as meaning the odds are high that your bags won't make it. Not saying I'd want to own one of the 5.5 but less than 1% are darn fine odds in my view.

That statistic is for lost luggage.

But also do know that not every airline is the same. Some are better, and some are worse, than others at dealing with luggage.

The FAA or the DOT (I forget which one) keeps tracks of these statistics and publishes it on their web site.

Two hours to reclaim your luggage, check it in again and go through security, and get to your gate 20 minutes before departure is not enough time at LGA on the best of days. I fly there often.

I wish I were together enough to pack for a cruise with a carry on. That will never happen!!!

If you are traveling with another person cross pack in case some of the luggage does not make it. Place your itinerary and contact information inside in a conspicuous place. I am a great fan of zip lock bags and I put my info inside a bag and attach it to the outside of an inside pocket so that TSA [who has a real thing for my luggage] will not let it fall to the bottom when they rifle through my suitcase.

I am one of those statistics. Actually, I am many of those statistics over the years. The airlines have bought me more new luggage than my DH.

I agree that high quality labeling inside and out is a good start.

Make sure you have the cell phone number you are carrying highlighted in this labeling information. Lost baggage may not take the time to call down through multiple work and home numbers.

not possible for most cruisers. maybe a 2 or 3 day one...

...it all depends on your 'mindset' regarding packing light, I know people who've gone away for a month with nothing but a small backpack...

...we're planning to go in April for a month with nothing but carryon, we've determined just what we must take and will buy some things while traveling as we have a higher weight allowance on the return trip. You did put it correctly by saying its "not possible for most cruisers", but with a little creativity and a positive mindset, we're finding it just may be quite liberating, especially when thinking about dragging luggage around - we're spending an additional two weeks in Italy after the cruise and that time includes taking Italian trains which have no luggage handling, its all up to you. So I know from researching the topic, and talking with those who've actually done it, that you can go with just carryon...

cheers,

the Imagineers

...it all depends on your 'mindset' regarding packing light, I know people who've gone away for a month with nothing but a small backpack...

...we're planning to go in April for a month with nothing but carryon, we've determined just what we must take and will buy some things while traveling as we have a higher weight allowance on the return trip. You did put it correctly by saying its "not possible for most cruisers", but with a little creativity and a positive mindset, we're finding it just may be quite liberating, especially when thinking about dragging luggage around - we're spending an additional two weeks in Italy after the cruise and that time includes taking Italian trains which have no luggage handling, its all up to you. So I know from researching the topic, and talking with those who've actually done it, that you can go with just carryon...

cheers,

the Imagineers

We have traveled a couple of times with a couple who each take one carryon. No checked luggage, for a 3 or 4 week vacation. This was before the new rules on carrying on liquids. Not sure what they do now.

Thanks for all the info. There's no way I could do carry-on for an 8 day cruise with formal wear, shoes, etc. We always do cross packing. Will look into UPS & FEDX, but am sure it will be too expensive. Guess we'll just have to take our chances!

The only way to not lose your luggage is to carry it on and not check it at all. For some reason, people overpack and overpack and overpack. I just don't get it. We have traveled for up to 18 days with a carry-on each, plus backpacks. It's not hard at all once you learn how to pack really well. There are some websites with really good tips. We went to an actual seminar on packing (yeah, sounds sorta dorky :)) and have since traveled only with carry-ons (except for the last trip when we attempted to have liquor shipped home in checked bags...that's a different topic/story). :cool:

As for the liquid issue, we only take our alloted 3 oz in our quart bags. Anything else we need, we buy it pre-cruise once we land in our departure port city (but buy in travel sizes to prevent waste).

There are 3 simple rules. Follow these and the airline will not lose your bags.
The only way to not lose your luggage is to carry it on and not check it at all. For some reason, people overpack and overpack and overpack.
While most people do overpack, this advice is simply not realistic for most cruise passengers.

Moreover, for some cruises, it simply isn't realistic at all for anyone, however experienced they may be as travellers and however lightly they may pack. If you are going on a cruise that requires jacket and tie for some evenings and a dinner suit on other evenings, carry-on baggage alone is not going to work.

And I personally refuse to avoid certain cruises just in order to be able to avoid checking-in luggage. Changing your life out of being anally-retentive and/or neurotic about the slim chance of a bag being delayed (which is all that it usually is, even when it happens) is not my personal style. Occasionally, life will bring a lemon.

Imagineer,

Permit me to say you sound very smug.( and I suspect you seldom if ever follow the dress code.)

I would really like to hear how you could deal with the problems many passengers have .

In my case I am 82 years old, travel alone (and that believe me is not easy)I have to have wheelchair assist at the airport to get from Terminal A to Terminal E (or wherever). Have a heart problem and arthritis in ankles, knees,hips and shoulder.

Now do please tell me how I am supposed to follow your instructions!

I am not alone in my problems many passengers have similar health problems. We try to keep positive, try to travel and enjoy life , but sometimes situations do cause us difficulties.

That statistic is for lost luggage.

But also do know that not every airline is the same. Some are better, and some are worse, than others at dealing with luggage.

The FAA or the DOT (I forget which one) keeps tracks of these statistics and publishes it on their web site.

The most recent report is here (scroll to page 25) http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/reports/2008/january/200801atcr.pdf (PDF file)

JetBlue and Northwest lost the least percentage of luggage while US Air, Delta and American lost the most.

If you show up to the airport at least one hour before your flight, you should be OK. (The earlier, the better. I suggest 90 minutes if you are taking a cruise.) Most lost luggage is due to people showing up right before their flight takes off or very short connection times. Non-stop flights will also help (Less people touching your bag.)

I've recently purchased (Magellan's) Air Retriever Tags. They are bright yellow, and have access to put your entire itinerary inside. I put our names, cell phone #, hotel, ports, flight info. etc. It's also labeled in 8 different languages that states, "Here is my itinerary. Please remove and examine if luggage is misplaced". I'll also put a copy inside our luggage as well.

Imagineer,

Permit me to say you sound very smug.( and I suspect you seldom if ever follow the dress code.)

I would really like to hear how you could deal with the problems many passengers have .

In my case I am 82 years old, travel alone (and that believe me is not easy)I have to have wheelchair assist at the airport to get from Terminal A to Terminal E (or wherever). Have a heart problem and arthritis in ankles, knees,hips and shoulder.

Now do please tell me how I am supposed to follow your instructions!

I am not alone in my problems many passengers have similar health problems. We try to keep positive, try to travel and enjoy life , but sometimes situations do cause us difficulties.

Hi Jimsgirl,

...my apologies, not intending to be smug at all. We just got tired of schlepping a lot of luggage, I did a lot of research into the subject to find what could be done to reduce the load, and came up with quite a number of suggestions on packing light. Please keep in mind that the cruises we have been on, are scheduled for and are planning on, are all on lines that have no formal wear requirements. That in itself reduces the load significantly. Please also bear in mind that your personal requirements, and those of many senior citizens, may not allow for packing light; obviously if need to bring medications, other special items and you require wheelchair assistance at terminals and airports, you'll also need assistance with your luggage, and quite possibly not want to have any carry on at all...

...what we have planned will work for some folks, but obviously not for all. For those who desire very casual wear and an assortment of applicable footwear, along with your formal wear, you'll be bringing more clothes, simple fact; but for those, including my DW and myself, who can get by with a mix & match assortment of semi casual wear, we are finding it quite possible to pack very lightly. We're going with two pairs of shoes each and an assortment of semi casual wear. Khaki's and Dockers with a few button down style light shirts for me, DW will bring a couple pairs of light slacks along with a skirt and several blouses, what Oceania refers to as "country club casual". We'll wear our jackets or sweaters on the plane along with the heaviest shoes we plan on bringing, this has also worked well for our trips on NCL so we're not anticipating any problems on our upcoming trip to Italy aboard Oceania's Regatta. This is not just an unworkable idea for us, we packed our luggage and had it weighed just to ensure it will meet the requirements, so we know it can be done...

...once again let me state, obviously these ideas and solutions will not work for everyone's particular lifestyle requirements or desires...

cheers,

the Imagineers

I always try to avoid checking baggage (I do understand that, depending on your circumstances, sometimes it isn't realistic to keep your bags with you).

My mother and I traveled to Europe for 3 weeks, including a 12 day cruise without any checked baggage. We each had a roller-board suitcase and tote bag. For the person who said that it's not possible to pack only carry-ons and comply with cruise line dress codes...we complied with all cruise line dress codes including formal nights. Once during our trip we did laundry (sea days are perfect) and we each shipped a small box home from our last stop (we shipped dirty clothes to make room for souvenirs in the carryons).

While most people do overpack, this advice is simply not realistic for most cruise passengers.

Moreover, for some cruises, it simply isn't realistic at all for anyone, however experienced they may be as travellers and however lightly they may pack. If you are going on a cruise that requires jacket and tie for some evenings and a dinner suit on other evenings, carry-on baggage alone is not going to work.

And I personally refuse to avoid certain cruises just in order to be able to avoid checking-in luggage. Changing your life out of being anally-retentive and/or neurotic about the slim chance of a bag being delayed (which is all that it usually is, even when it happens) is not my personal style. Occasionally, life will bring a lemon.

I wish I had the luck you had! On our first cruise, my husband's checked luggage was not lost, it was completely destroyed by American Airlines (it looked like it got stuck in a machine as it was ripped to shreds). Yes, we had insurance, and after several weeks were able to replace everything. Then, on our last cruise, the cruiseline completely destroyed a piece of luggage and its contents. Yes, we have insurance and are dealing with that.

I don't check my luggage, and yes, I dress for each formal night. Who said anything about being anal retentive and neurotic? The OP asked a question, and we're all answering it with our own experiences. Personally, I don't check luggage any more whether it's a 3-day trip, week-long trip, or 3-week long trip. It's easy to do, but hard to start doing. Try it; you might like it! :D

I always try to avoid checking baggage (I do understand that, depending on your circumstances, sometimes it isn't realistic to keep your bags with you).

My mother and I traveled to Europe for 3 weeks, including a 12 day cruise without any checked baggage. We each had a roller-board suitcase and tote bag. For the person who said that it's not possible to pack only carry-ons and comply with cruise line dress codes...we complied with all cruise line dress codes including formal nights. Once during our trip we did laundry (sea days are perfect) and we each shipped a small box home from our last stop (we shipped dirty clothes to make room for souvenirs in the carryons).

You're my kind of traveler! :)

ok, i have to ask those that say they can go 3 weeks with only a carry-on:

how many pairs of 'unmentionables' do you take? were you constantly washing them out?

someone said they only did laundry once in 3 weeks. don't you think you were stinky?

the thought of wearing dirty clothes over and over and over again makes my skin crawl. :eek:

I wish I had the luck you had!
Perhaps. Many members of CC would be complaining to high heaven if they had the "luck" that I have had, including the time that the airline delayed my bag on a same-day flight to a cruise, when the very next flight would still have been too late to get the bag to the dock in time. (As it happens, it did arrive on that flight, and the bag was brought to the ship by pilot boat.) And I've had more or less my fair share of delayed bags on other trips over the years.

You only have to look at the postings on CC threads in general to see how close to hysteria many CC members can get over the thought that there is a small chance that a bag will be delayed or lost. They're perfectly entitled to take that view. But it is also perfectly fair to point out exactly what it is.

So you can pack for a three week trip in one bag measuring no more than 22 inches x 17½ inches x 9½ inches and weighing no more than 15 pounds in total? Including stuff to wear on two different formal nights, two more "jacket and tie" nights and the rest casual nights? Including gym kit and swimming kit? And camera? Well, good for you. Most people would - quite reasonably - find that impossibly difficult.

The majority of my 50 or so flights a year are in fact with hand baggage only, but I like to think that over the years I have acquired a realistic view of what is and is not possible.

BTW - I know that there are some airlines that let you carry on everything including the kitchen sink. In general, I would prefer to consign my luggage to the risk of being lost by a better airline than allow myself to be carried on the kitchen sink airlines, which are generally miserable experiences. Those who fly on airlines that allow you to carry on 40-60 pounds of baggage aren't really travelling with hand baggage only - all they're doing is carrying on what should be in the hold.

ok, i have to ask those that say they can go 3 weeks with only a carry-on:

how many pairs of 'unmentionables' do you take? were you constantly washing them out?

someone said they only did laundry once in 3 weeks. don't you think you were stinky?

the thought of wearing dirty clothes over and over and over again makes my skin crawl. :eek:

I take offense to your remarks. We bathed every day and took plenty of clothes to avoid wearing dirty clothes "over and over again." Yes, we did at wear some pants twice before washing if they were not dirty. As far as unmentionables--we took enough for one week (fresh daily), washed them out once and then did laundry once.

It was a matter of carefully planning clothes and actual needs vs. just packing all the clothes we might want (or 12 different outfits that couldn't be mixed/matched with other items). We knew that we would need capri pants and lightweight tops during the day for sightseeing (I actually had the Old Navy tank tops and lightweight t-shirts in every color they made that summer along with a thin long sleeve shrug to cover up with when necessary), a dressy skirt with 2 different dressy tops for formal nights, pants and nicer tops for dinner and 3 (total) pairs of shoes (touring, pool/beach and dress). We packed the clothing in a vacuum bag to cut the space needed (it also helped to prevent wrinkles).

I found it interesting that you use ships that have no real Formal nights (ie ships that ask for a tux/suit or full length gown) Obviously if you wear totally casual clothes all the time , you can pack less. For my next cruise the ship has 4 formal themed balls, 5 semi formal nights and 5 elegant casual. on a 13 night cruise. Men are asked to wear a jacket every night. No one could possibly use just a carryon.

By the way just how big is your carryon. Last Time I flew I saw a couple trying to stuff really HUGE backpacks and carryon into the overhead bins, they were just too big, in the end the air line cabin staff took the 4 bags and stored them, of course the couple caused chaos as no one could get past them,whilst they wrestled with bags they should have checked.

When I was young I camped in tents ,and dressed for camping, but cruising is not camping, and I no longer sleep on the floor of the airport if delayed or travelling on cheap flights.

I think most posters prefer not to travel the same way at 40+ as when they were 20 years old.

I worry every time I give up my bags, not just on air lines but at the dock also, all I can do is us locks, label them correctly, include my itinerary, and PRAY.

Archived