Celebrity: are you a traditionalist or a revolutionary?

C 2 C

Should Celebrity remain "traditional" or change?  

305 members have voted

1. 1. Should Celebrity remain "traditional" or change?

• I prefer traditional dress codes and fixed dining times.
    • I prefer a more casual dress code but traditional dining.
    • I prefer a relaxed dress code and more dining options.
    • A change in smoking policy is more important than 1-3.

As you can see below my wife and I have sailed on several different lines yet I really don't care how people dress. It's your choice. On formal night we've seen the Tux's and the polo shirts and dockers. The dining room is so crowded you really can't tell.

On land or sea, people will dress how they like. I can understand the jeans and gym shoes not being allowed in the dining room, I guess that is why they have alterative dining...which we loved on NCL in Europe.

Heck the one Carnival Cruise we took had better dressed people on it then the Galaxy...but I think each Cruise can be different. We have also stayed at the Four Seasons Hotels on different occasions and that dining room can sport different types of dress from very formal to casual.

To each his own and I'll be the last person to judge you by what you are dressed like...

I guess a casually dressed con man could "make out" with those who assume that there's something suspicious about someone who is well dressed and that people who dress casually are more honest and down to earth. It works both ways.

Most of the people I've met on cruises have been very nice normal people. They don't go around making comments about what people are wearing. They abide by the request of the cruiseline and are too busy enjoying themselves to think about what people are wearing and are certainly not "judging" them.

People who are sailing on Celebrity for the most part know what kind of ambience they will find and enjoy it. Of course they are going to "notice" someone who is blatantly disregarding what is requested. That doesn't mean they are "judging" them.

So all the comments about what people are wearing are just on the boards?

As you can see below my wife and I have sailed on several different lines yet I really don't care how people dress. It's your choice. On formal night we've seen the Tux's and the polo shirts and dockers. The dining room is so crowded you really can't tell.

On land or sea, people will dress how they like. I can understand the jeans and gym shoes not being allowed in the dining room, I guess that is why they have alterative dining...which we loved on NCL in Europe.

Heck the one Carnival Cruise we took had better dressed people on it then the Galaxy...but I think each Cruise can be different. We have also stayed at the Four Seasons Hotels on different occasions and that dining room can sport different types of dress from very formal to casual.

To each his own and I'll be the last person to judge you by what you are dressed like...

You sound like most of us that enjoy cruising.

When I posted this poll I was trying to find out the type of dress code or type of dining arrangements people prefer for a cruise. There is no need for discussing/rationalizing what other people prefer because the poll tabulates the numbers who prefer one type over another.

Celebrity is going to do what it can to maximize its profits by filling the ships and reaching out to people who have not tried sailing with X before.

So far nearly 65% prefer Celebrity the traditional way, 15% prefer traditional dining but would prefer a more relaxed dress code. 80% of posters do not want any time dining. I hope Celebrity reads this poll to at least keep traditional dining options for the majority on Solstice Class ships.

Only 10% would prefer Celebrity more like the other lines, with flexible dining and a relaxed dress code. Most arguments about individuals wanting Celebrity to change to their style of cruising are in a real minority but one in four cruisers want to relax the dress code, perhaps by dropping the "informal" / "semi-formal" component.

The next time a clothing argument flares up on these boards, you know how much support/resistance you face with your arguments.

My prediction is an evolution of greater choice to be available on Solstice, traditional dining with more specialty restaurants for more choice throughout the evening. For the dress code, I think the formals will stay, informal will morph into more casual modes. The tie is no longer needed with the jacket, and the jacket will soon follow the tie...

One thing is certain, no matter what the dress code, we will be free to express/vent our opinions on cruise critic.;)

My prediction is an evolution of greater choice to be available on Solstice, traditional dining with more specialty restaurants for more choice throughout the evening. For the dress code, I think the formals will stay, informal will morph into more casual modes. The tie is no longer needed with the jacket, and the jacket will soon follow the tie...

One thing is certain, no matter what the dress code, we will be free to express/vent our opinions on cruise critic.;)

I full agree C 2 C,

I think you are spot on with that statement and I can say it won’t bother me one bit. I like to see a choice so all will be happy and if I had my way, dump the Informal and give me one more formal night and keep the tradition alive.

When I go out to eat at home the majority of times it will be to a casual restaurant with good food.

When I want to make an event out of it and want a special dinning experience I’ll go to somewhere nice with a published dress code and great food.

Even though I won’t do the later that often I will remember it for years instead of just days.

If I don’t feel like dressing up why would I go to a restaurant with a dress code and expect to be seated and have no one care how I’m dressed?

Why does being on vacation and paying for a cruise somehow change this?

As you put it so well, this is right or wrong, good or bad and say anything about someone’s character, only their personal choice.

Of course as always this is just IMHO.

Joel

So all the comments about what people are wearing are just on the boards?

In general I'd say the reason most people don't care what people wear and don't spend any time discussing it while sailing is because most of the passengers are gracious enough to abide by the cruiseline's standards. The reason it's discussed on the boards is probably because most people would like it to remain that way.

In general I'd say the reason most people don't care what people wear and don't spend any time discussing it while sailing is because most of the passengers are gracious enough to abide by the cruiseline's standards. The reason it's discussed on the boards is probably because most people would like it to remain that way.

But all I read out here is about folks that don't "abide by the cruiseline's standards".

Why is that?

But all I read out here is about folks that don't "abide by the cruiseline's standards".

Why is that?

It's the itch that won't go away no matter how much one scratches.

It's about the 10 % that won't follow X's guidelines. The majority loves the very thing that distinguishes X from other Cruiselines.

Some people take a ship to a destination, some of us take a ship because it is the destination.

Why is that?

If you honestly think I'm going on a Cruise to be a fashion critic you are sadly mistaken. These threads that discuss what people wear (and there have been many over my time here) and what they should be wearing have grown old. As times change and people change so will the cruise lines…whether that being formal nights or all come as you are nights…just get on board and have a great time dressed in what “you” want to wear, what other people wear is up to them.

In the immortal words of Dr. Seuss...“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

It's about the 10 % that won't follow X's guidelines. The majority loves the very thing that distinguishes X from other Cruiselines.

Some people take a ship to a destination, some of us take a ship because it is the destination.

I'm probably one of thjose 10% people you speak about. We fill up these ship so that the cruise line can continue to do buisiness. I chose my cruise by number of days, number of ports and location of ports. We dress for formal nights but the informal we dress however we feel. We don't wear shorts or jeans but no jacket. I don't care what you wear please so please don't stress about me.

There are some people who think anything goes, anytime, anywhere and can always find an excuse for poor manners. Most people tolerate them but certainly don't admire them. Say what you think and be who you are but have a little respect for yourself and others.

There are some people who think anything goes, anytime, anywhere and can always find an excuse for poor manners. Most people tolerate them but certainly don't admire them. Say what you think and be who you are but have a little respect for yourself and others.

Although less then 200 people responded in the "keep it traditional" this representing less then 10% of a full ship. I must say that some of us are very passionate about the “dress codes” and I and my wife and my 6-year old follow them because we enjoy doing so most of the time…yet I must tell you that if the table next to me on formal night is dressed in khakis and polo shirts I could care less...I would have the same respect for them as a table next to me dressed in Armani Tuxedo’s. If Celebrity changed the rules tomorrow but kept the product exactly the same would we all flee to another line…doubtful? I would just pack a little differently.

And both are right.

In reading this thread, it appears that two completely different concepts are being intertwined by a few posters.

I personally think that when a dress code exists, it should be followed so my husband and I always dress appropriately for formal night. The same holds true for any other event that we are invited to.

On the other hand, I don't think that being dressed in formal attire makes a cruise more elegant or attracts a passenger base that is more sophisticated than one would find on a cruise line that has a country club casual dress code.

Wow.

I never knew that all these issues would come up by how you dress for dinner on vacation.

How can you tell all that about someone by how they dress for dinner?

Talk about snap judgements.

I don't think it's about judging other people on how they dress. I think it's about buying into our fantasy of a cruise vacation. Where else in these times can we dress the way "it used to be". We all have the odd formal in our closet, a remnant of a wedding or two that we have enjoyed (which is exactly the same concept...why do some wedding invitations come "Black Tie" and some don't? Because the bride and groom want to recreate a certain feel, a certain time).

So, if you don't want to buy into that, then don't. Cruise another line, or go to the casual restaurant, or stay in your cabin. But let the rest of us have our fun. And to most of us, it IS fun.

I didn't read every post in this almost 100 post thread, so I apologize if I'm repeating what others have said...but I guess it does bear repeating.

I LOVE formal nights!

Anyone who has been following this thread, and many like it, pretend now that you are working for Celebrity. You have to come up with a plan that can allow these various cruisers to sail on the same ship without alienating the core group who likes the traditional and at the same time attract new cruisers who do not have the same values. How do you plan for "peaceful co-existence"? How do you get the two opposing camps to bend a little and accept the fact that the other side has to be pleased enough to keep on cruising with X?

I judge those who don't dress to code (or at least make an effort). I admit it. What they do is wrong. Frankly, I don't care if they don't like to dress up or if the clothes are uncomfortable or expensive or if their suitcases are heavy. They chose to sail aboard a line with a dress code. By making that choice, they entered into a social contract to abide by the rules and the standards of that sailing. If they renege on that agreement, that says a great deal about their character.

It's not about the clothes, either. If the dress code called for everybody to come dressed like rodeo clowns, that's what I would expect people to wear. Either that, or choose a different dinner venue or a different cruise line.

What some people call "judgemental" is, to me, a crucial part of having standards and manners.

Anyone who has been following this thread, and many like it, pretend now that you are working for Celebrity. You have to come up with a plan that can allow these various cruisers to sail on the same ship without alienating the core group who likes the traditional and at the same time attract new cruisers who do not have the same values. How do you plan for "peaceful co-existence"? How do you get the two opposing camps to bend a little and accept the fact that the other side has to be pleased enough to keep on cruising with X?

Seems to me they already have. There are very few formal nights, a casual dining venue and in cabin dining for the few nights when formal wear is requested. If I don't feel like dressing up I just use one of the other options. They are also planning for many more options on the new ships. If I want a different kind of cruise completely I choose another cruiseline.

I judge those who don't dress to code (or at least make an effort). I admit it. What they do is wrong.

What some people call "judgemental" is, to me, a crucial part of having standards and manners.

Let's carry this one further...I'd rather have someone violate a dress code then...

Cut in front of me in a buffet line...

Reserving rows of lounge chairs at pool side...

Leaving their room service mess in the hallway...

Leaving the ship to go into port like it's sinking...

Rushing to a meal like the ship is out of food...

And on and on...

Need I digress, but I can think of a lot more things that can actually take away from my experience other then the dress code, and yes we do follow it.

Steve

As much as I enjoy the present dress codes (we dress to the 9s) & traditional dining on Celebrity, I'd REALLY love to see the smoking policy become more stringent. I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO worn out on smelling smoke on my balcony, and pretty much everywhere else onboard. I'd really love it if Celebrity would prohibit smoking from balconies and some of the lounges, so those of us who would rather breathe air than smoke can have someplace to FULLY enjoy onboard.:)

I don't think it's about judging other people on how they dress. I think it's about buying into our fantasy of a cruise vacation. Where else in these times can we dress the way "it used to be". We all have the odd formal in our closet, a remnant of a wedding or two that we have enjoyed (which is exactly the same concept...why do some wedding invitations come "Black Tie" and some don't? Because the bride and groom want to recreate a certain feel, a certain time).

So, if you don't want to buy into that, then don't. Cruise another line, or go to the casual restaurant, or stay in your cabin. But let the rest of us have our fun. And to most of us, it IS fun.

I didn't read every post in this almost 100 post thread, so I apologize if I'm repeating what others have said...but I guess it does bear repeating.

I LOVE formal nights!

We love them too! :) You have said it quite well, I think. And no, no one else has put it quite this way. But I think that you have "nailed it". Following a dress code is not about anyone ruining a cruise; it is not about judging a person's worth; it is just about creating an ambience, a feeling, a sense of elegance that does not exist much any more. And for a lot of us, that's it......FUN. That's why we signed on to Celebrity.

Way to go, warmwinds! :D

I judge those who don't dress to code (or at least make an effort). I admit it. What they do is wrong. Frankly, I don't care if they don't like to dress up or if the clothes are uncomfortable or expensive or if their suitcases are heavy. They chose to sail aboard a line with a dress code. By making that choice, they entered into a social contract to abide by the rules and the standards of that sailing. If they renege on that agreement, that says a great deal about their character.

It's not about the clothes, either. If the dress code called for everybody to come dressed like rodeo clowns, that's what I would expect people to wear. Either that, or choose a different dinner venue or a different cruise line.

I think very few come dressed like "rodeo clowns".

I think to begin you need to have a couple of formal nights if you must and the rest is casual.

How I dress is like this;

On formal night; Jacket and tie.

All other nights; Dress shirt and pants, no jacket, no tie.

According to most out here I am in violation of the dress code.

But I won't look like a rodeo clown.:)

Archived