Passport Cards to be available starting Feb. 2008

cherylandtk

Just in from the State Dept., Passcard applications will be accepted starting Feb. 1, with actual cards issued sometime by the spring. Note that Passport Cards will not allow air travel, but may be useful for some who need to cross land or sea borders. Round trip cruises from the US still will only need BC and DL, so this card does not provide any additional travel freedom for most cruisers. But it may be useful for some.

http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/WHTI_Passport_Sheet.pdf

For those who have read and kept up with the passport regs, it is interesting to note that the administration said they intended to proceed with the WHTI implementation in 2008, regardless of Congressional funding delays until 2009. It would seem that this may be the first step in that process.

I think this would make a nice ID card to take with you at your ports of call, not having to worry about carrying your original passport or a copy of it. Since it is only $20 if you already have a passport, it's not that expensive and it would be easy to put in your wallet!

No, you can use either a passport or a passcard (or a BC/DL) for a cruise. If you have a passport, that is the better document.

What is not clear (to me) is if the State Dept will allow you to have both a passcard AND a passport. In their saying that you can apply for a passcard as a renewal of your passport, I wonder if that means you have to send in your passport for cancellation as you currently must do for any passport renewal. I would think that they would not allow two different passport documents for one person, but that is JMO, and we will have to wait until the forms are issued to find out.

No, you can use either a passport or a passcard (or a BC/DL) for a cruise. If you have a passport, that is the better document.

What is not clear (to me) is if the State Dept will allow you to have both a passcard AND a passport. In their saying that you can apply for a passcard as a renewal of your passport, I wonder if that means you have to send in your passport for cancellation as you currently must do for any passport renewal. I would think that they would not allow two different passport documents for one person, but that is JMO, and we will have to wait until the forms are issued to find out.

I was wondering the same thing. It looks like it is designed for those who cross the border freqeuntly on land (sea) but who don't need a full blown passport for air travel. I wish they would allow both at the same time. It would be nice to just use the card for land/sea and keep the booklet passport for air or international travel.

The card sure would be convienient, but if we can only have one or the other will have to stick with the booklet.

According to the website, it will be valid for travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Only for Land or Sea travel, not air travel.

It also states that few details are available but it will be an alternative for cruise ship passengers travelling from the United States to Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

Doh! Wish they would have made these available a little earlier. We applied for passports for our March cruise the day after Christmas and just got them yesterday. I know we didn't have to, but I just didn't want there to be any problems. Sure would have liked to have taken advantage of this cheaper alternative though!!

Cruising April 6th from Miami to Cozumel, Grand Cayman & Ocho Rios with a 13 year old who is not ours. She currently only has a birth certificate. Is that all she needs at this time?

Thnx...

Elaine,

She will also need a signed and notarized (by both parents named on the BC) permission letter that allows her to travel with you. Letter should be specific and name you and the dates and places of travel, along with giving permission for treatment in a medical emergency.

Elaine,

She will also need a signed and notarized (by both parents named on the BC) permission letter that allows her to travel with you. Letter should be specific and name you and the dates and places of travel, along with giving permission for treatment in a medical emergency.

I have Parental Authorization mock-ups on my website. Go to www.seauonboard.com - click cruise 101 - you will see it there.

The passport card is only for Land/Sea travel between Canada, Mexico and Caribbean. You will keep your passport because you will still need it to fly or go to any other countries.

I did find this statement on the FAQ page from the State Dept.:

Applicants for both book and card pay only one execution fee. Which would imply that one can have both a card and a book. On another thread, someone posted a few changes to the application form, which includes a different processing fee, need for dual parental approval if 16 or less --changed from 14 or less--and addition of the passport card. I have not seen one of these forms online yet.

A passport card will cost $45, but the card is not good for international Air travel. The passport will reportedly cost $92 (execution fee drops from $30 to $25 on Feb. 1). If you get both a card and book, the total will be $112 since you only pay one execution fee (67+20+25).

Archived