Freestyle 2.0 Additons/Room Service/Menus

RobertC313

I was just wondering if any recent travelers aboard any of NCL's ships have started noticing the Freestyle 2.0 enhancements. Anyone have room service/dining room menus? Room enhancement opinions?

DAWN 3 weeks ago... fabulous food in main dining room. Crisp white linen, fine china, glassware. Carriben lobster offered several nights. Action stations in Buffet. ( we only ate buffet just before debarkation). Latte and cappucino included with meals in dining room. 4 cup coffee maker in mini suite with Folgers coffee. Late debarkation.. we left at noon.

Down pillows..fluffy towels..soft robes..delightful linen..

Can't think of any others off the top of my head but it was fabulous!

Read my review:http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=36160

Winnie <---->wan'ts to BE on the DAWN again soon!

Does anyone know how we can get updates on the Freestyle 2.0 enhancements for various ships? We will be on Star in May and really hope action stations are in place by then along with other improvements. Is there a web site or NCL link that tells about the progress on various ships?

I hope they get some good coffee.....I hear it's made from some type of syrup and tastes horrible. :(

What are "action stations"?

I have cruised six times on NCL ships and have always had delicious coffee any where on the ship. I hope they haven't changed their coffee in the last year when DH and I were on the Pearl.

Action stations are NCL's innovative buffet and they don't call it a buffet because of the layout and the level of food preparation. No more long buffet line. You can can go from one station to the next and not be in a long line at all because there are so many different stations. Many of the stations are manned with chefs who prepare and cook your food to order. It is the best "buffet" I have ever seen, land or sea. I'm excited that NCL plans to upgrade all their buffets on all ships to the Pearl and Gem standard of "action stations". This is going to be very nice, indeed.

The "action station" dining venue is also the most beautiful and dazzling of all the different cruise ships I have been on. DH and I have cruised on HAL, Celebrity, Princess, RCI and Carnival. NCL's action stations are by far the best of the best, IMHO.

coffeebean,

Last 2 trips on NCL in the last few months (Sun, Gem), they were using Folger's in the Garden Cafe. That's probably what it was when you sailed. That's also what the room coffeemakers have.

On the Pearl and Gem there's even special machines up in the Cafe that dispense cappuccino, espresso and lattes (no charge).

I've never ever read about syrup on NCL though I've seen that about Princess many many times on these bds. Perhaps that's where the confusion lies.

Will report back here on freestyle 2.0 after getting off the Gem at the end of the month.

Does anyone know how we can get updates on the Freestyle 2.0 enhancements for various ships? We will be on Star in May and really hope action stations are in place by then along with other improvements. Is there a web site or NCL link that tells about the progress on various ships?

We leave on the Star today, if there are any new updates I will post it when we get back.

-Michelle:)

There is no way to track whats changing as of yet . Even if you call NCL . most of the reps. are not yet aware of the 2.0 . What Im waiting to see is the line about them puting sofa beds in the suites. We have been limited to a very select number of suites do to the fact they will only take 2 pax. ( we have to kids ) . I asked when they thought this would be started and all I got was , " What " ?

We,ll have to wait and see..

There is no way to track whats changing as of yet . Even if you call NCL . most of the reps. are not yet aware of the 2.0 . What Im waiting to see is the line about them puting sofa beds in the suites. We have been limited to a very select number of suites do to the fact they will only take 2 pax. ( we have to kids ) . I asked when they thought this would be started and all I got was , " What " ?

We,ll have to wait and see..

Me too - although they have 3 weeks for me.

I only have 1 week left til the Spirit. I am hoping for a miracle, I guess. This is one good reason to look forward to a cruise later on. I hope we at least get an extra lobster or upgraded bedding!:rolleyes:

There is a press release on the NCL website that speaks about the 2.0 upgrades...it mentions that the upgrades should all be in place fleetwide by the summer of 2008. I, too, would like to learn which ships have been reworked and the progress of the ones they are working on. I'll be on the SPIRIT in May, as well, and it sure would be nice if the upgrades were in place by then.

Does anyone know if the ship has to be in drydock for the upgrades to be done? If so, I also read on these message boards that the SPIRIT's next scheduled drydock isn't until 2011!!!! That being mentioned, with the current mechanical/propulsion problems the SPIRIT is having, there is some speculation that the SPIRIT might go into drydock when her itinerary changes from NOL to NYC. If that happens, it would also be a good time for the 2.0 upgrades to take place. As I said before, it sure would be nice to have the upgrades for our May cruise!

Debjo

I am really hoping someone who got off the Star today will post about any 2.0 changes they saw this last week.

Barb

I got off the Star on 1/3, didn't notice any 2.0 enhancements. The cruise overall was OK. The buffet was probably the most lackluster of any of the 10+ cruises I have been on. Although the ship was at capacity, only one full buffet line (starboard side) was open. The port side buffet had only two of the four stations in use, which I thought was strange for a full ship. The food was pretty standard and not all that imaginative IMHO.

coffeebean' date='

Last 2 trips on NCL in the last few months (Sun, Gem), they were using Folger's in the Garden Cafe. [/quote']

No wonder we thought the coffee tasted so good when we were on Spirit ... we drink Folger's at home!! :D

coffeebean' date='

On the Pearl and Gem there's even special machines up in the Cafe that dispense cappuccino, espresso and lattes (no charge).

[/quote']

Thanks for the heads up - we look forward to that! :D

Does anyone know if the ship has to be in drydock for the upgrades to be done? If so, I also read on these message boards that the SPIRIT's next scheduled drydock isn't until 2011!!!! That being mentioned, with the current mechanical/propulsion problems the SPIRIT is having, there is some speculation that the SPIRIT might go into drydock when her itinerary changes from NOL to NYC. If that happens, it would also be a good time for the 2.0 upgrades to take place. As I said before, it sure would be nice to have the upgrades for our May cruise!

Debjo

Debjo,

The Spirit's next drydock is Oct 31st after they drop off the New York passengers in New Orleans. The next sailing is Nov 23rd which is the one I am on. There is no break in the schedule for when she goes back to New York this coming March 30th.

Dave

Archived