It Ain't What It Used To Be

fifty

We just returned from the Voyager of the Seas cruise out of Galveston. We have to echo the same sentiments that the food was not very good in the dining room. We did have some meals that were good - but overall, there is a definite decline in the quality and quantity of food in the dining room on RCCL. We noticed this starting to change when Carnival took them over.

If it is only based on economics and increased costs - I do think there are other ways to make food taste good and not pretend that everything is status quo when we know different.

After our last cruise I noticed a big change and wrote to RCCL. I thought it was just a fluke. One of the "vegetables" we were served on that trip was corn & celery - no sauce on it or any flavor - just dreadful. The letter I received back said "everyone's tastes are different". I think I could respect RCCL more if they were just upfront and honest about the food changes/quality as it relates to increased costs. Perhaps they are just going to move to the all buffet cruise at some point? It would be an improvement.

Some of the dishes that were served were just dreadful. Hamburger helper would have been preferable.

People on these posts can argue about what is good and not good, but most everyone can agree one of the highlights of cruising is to have some good, tasty and memorable meals. It's part of "vacation".

On the Voyager, what they called "filet" was really just a somewhat below average steak. On the last night they had "Steak Oscar" on the menu. The description was a "filet with crabmeat and bernaise sauce on top". However, our waiter told us it was NOT crabmeat but IMITATION crabmeat - a cod of some sort. I found that very deceptive and pointed out that it did say "crabmeat" in the menu.

Having had the "filet experience" our whole table ordered the "buttermilk battered chicken". None of us had but a few forkfulls of meat on the whole plate. Our friend got two "backs". I got a very small drumstick and something else I couldn't identify. It certainly did not fill us up.

We won't sail RCCL again until they make some improvements in the food taste.

We just returned from the Voyager of the Seas cruise out of Galveston. We have to echo the same sentiments that the food was not very good in the dining room. We did have some meals that were good - but overall, there is a definite decline in the quality and quantity of food in the dining room on RCCL. We noticed this starting to change when Carnival took them over.

If it is only based on economics and increased costs - I do think there are other ways to make food taste good and not pretend that everything is status quo when we know different.

After our last cruise I noticed a big change and wrote to RCCL. I thought it was just a fluke. One of the "vegetables" we were served on that trip was corn & celery - no sauce on it or any flavor - just dreadful. The letter I received back said "everyone's tastes are different". I think I could respect RCCL more if they were just upfront and honest about the food changes/quality as it relates to increased costs. Perhaps they are just going to move to the all buffet cruise at some point? It would be an improvement.

Some of the dishes that were served were just dreadful. Hamburger helper would have been preferable.

People on these posts can argue about what is good and not good, but most everyone can agree one of the highlights of cruising is to have some good, tasty and memorable meals. It's part of "vacation".

On the Voyager, what they called "filet" was really just a somewhat below average steak. On the last night they had "Steak Oscar" on the menu. The description was a "filet with crabmeat and bernaise sauce on top". However, our waiter told us it was NOT crabmeat but IMITATION crabmeat - a cod of some sort. I found that very deceptive and pointed out that it did say "crabmeat" in the menu.

Having had the "filet experience" our whole table ordered the "buttermilk battered chicken". None of us had but a few forkfulls of meat on the whole plate. Our friend got two "backs". I got a very small drumstick and something else I couldn't identify. It certainly did not fill us up.

We won't sail RCCL again until they make some improvements in the food taste.

I am not a "newbie newbie" :D

I will probably get flamed for this as being too RCCL, but this is about every cruise line I have sailed, not just RCCL.

I have sailed 24 cruises on all different lines since 1989. We found RCCL in 1998.

We have our 11 and 12th cruises booked with RCCL for this year. I am as happy today as I was back then with RCCL. We are very comfortable with them. More so with the larger Voyager ships and Promenades etc.

I have never gotten off of a cruise and complained about their service or their food. I guess I am an easy person to please. I do not expect $50.00 - $100.00 a plate food on their ships and I don't look for it. I have never left the dining rooms hungry on any cruise either. I always find something on their menu I like.

We eat in the Windjammer every morning and at every lunch. I have to smack myself to stay away from all the things I should not eat there. Anyone who says there in no variety can't be in the same place I eat.

I am a happy cruiser. I go with the flow and roll with the punches.;)

So, believe it or not, some of us just love to cruise and do not notice what others complain about?

Hear, hear! Very well said. Describes DH and me to a T.

" .

Same thing happened to us on the Brilliance in December. The KFC included giblets and backs....................ugh!!!!!!!!!! we all sent it back and got something else. Not exactly a cruise menu item in my mind. But I'll still cruise again, food is not everything..............:D .

Have to find some other way to blame Carnival for RCCL's dining room problems. Carnival hasn't taken them over.

Just back from the Radiance and I have to say that the OP's comments had some resonance with me. Dining room food was okay, but I can't say that there was a single appetizer or main dish that I recall with any fondness.

There were several non food related issues I had with the dining room. I was cruising with may parents. They ate at the early (main) sitting while I ate at the late sitting. On the first night their wait staff informed my parents table that if they did not show up sharp at 6 pm they would not be served! WOW! I couldn't believe it.

I don't recall ever being offered a coffee refill after diner. Nor did it seem possible to catch the eye of a server to ask for a refill.

On the night that Lobster tails were being served two ladies at my table asked if they could have a second one. They were told that there were no more available. The ladies were disappointed. I was shocked.

On the other hand, food in the Windjammer was in my opinion above average. Not only that, but the Windjammer staff were always friendly and I observed many interactions that demonstrated their sincere desire to provide an exceptional experience to guests.

Goodness...your panties are certainly in a knot, aren't they?:p

The quality of a cruise should not depend upon the "class" of those cruising, should it?

I've heard so much about how those of us who are experienced should not lament the downward spiral of lines like RCI. And maybe you are correct that experienced cruisers are now outnumbered. So? What does that say about your generation of cruisers? Should we assume that you haven't got any taste and are willing to accept whatever a line may throw your way?

And the "class" system isn't gone but rather it is being revived. Perhaps you are just too obtuse to notice it?

Tickets used to include everything on a cruise and yes they were more expensive and cruises were exclusive to many because of the price. Now ticket prices allow many more people to cruise and that should be the great equalizer, correct? RCI, like other lines, are reviving the class system in a different way by charging for "better" things on board. Soda,better ice cream..Johnny Rockets..the specialty restaurants. All pax may be able to afford a ticket to ride but their wealth will drive the experience they get. You will see more and more of the ala carte' on cruises which will once again separate pax by wealth.

I'm not so certain about the "buying" power of the younger crowd. CC debt is skyrocketing and more and more people are defaulting on their mortgages. Most of those who are in serious debt are of the "younger" crowd. So when these people max out their CCards and can't afford to cruise who do you think will be filling ships?;)

I'm not sure why so many people are offended when seasoned cruisers point out the decline in the cruise experience. If pax continue to accept this decline it will only get worse and then your "bargain" vacation won't be such a bargain any longer.

And you are correct that RCI has an obligation to their stockholders to make money. And you are correct that they are targeting a different market than they used to. Time will tell if that market can sustain RCI and other mass marketed lines.

I was just able to get to read the posts on this thread an I have to say that this post hit the target dead center.

I couldn't think of anything to add. Thanks for this well thought out post.

Aubie

Just want to add my two cents. We sailed on 36 cruises with 5 different cruise lines and I have to say that it is definetely not what used to be. And it is not just RCCL. In the past 5 years we sailed with X, RCCL and Princess and we had very good to very poor with all of them. Corporates are preasured to make profits and they have to cut here and there. All menus are created in the corporate office and just each cheif is executing it on the ship. And some of them are better than others.

All ships within the line have the same menu with some very minor variations depend on the itinerary. But quality, variety, presentation of food in the dining room or the buffet is not what we had experienced 7-8 years ago.

It is aimed on first time cruiser who doesn't know any better and have nothing to compare with. But we do, and that is why we not very happy. But we still cruising and cruising even more, so cruiseline's mission is accomplished - we are coming back for more. Just we are more experienced and better at picking the better cruise. Well, this year I will be able to report

we will sailing with RCL, Princess and X. So I will compare.

Sorry Goodml... It's Princess Carnival took over not RCCL -- when you get to be my age, those kinds of mistakes happen... ! I apologize for the mistake. So, it isn't Carnival's fault - just must be RCCL's fault! :)

No worries.:D

As someone who started cruising in the 80's I definitely see where the OP is coming from as well. It goes right down to table settings and even waiters who used to scrape the crumbs from your place between courses. The missing wine sommeliers etc. The product (and absolutely the food) has definitely changed. When we sailed on Jewel in 2004 it was the first time we sailed on a ship with a specialty restaurant. I remember us all commenting at the time that the dining room food was remarkably less exciting than on previous cruises and that maybe that was a conscious decision on the part of the lines to encourage people to pay the difference for the premium dining that we used to get as part of the regular fare.

Maybe it's only some ships? Or new crew still in training?

On Brilliance of the Seas we had:

dinner table settings (not for dinner with the Queen, mind you, but still full dinner settings, and waiters who took away the utensils we were not going to use, depending on the dinner order), a waiter who scraped the crumbs off the table between courses, and a sommelier (who granted started in the dining room as a newbie, but is now a sommelier - and he was pretty good, too).

...and food is completely subjective. I liked the food a lot, never had a complaint - and I am not only no spring chicken but cook food from many different countries. Other people did not like the food.

Fran in Toronto

Archived