For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

Thanks, I hope so. You have to post your review when you get back. We are really looking forward to our trip. May 11 actually May 9 can't get here soon enough.

I don't really write reviews anymore :o I did that for the first few cruises, now I usually start a "just off the AOS" thread and answer questions instead! I will definitely take LOTS of pictures, so stay tuned for those! :D

May will be here before you know it!!!

although this thread is geared to the AOS, I would like to mention that I just got back from the Empress of the Seas on 1/28. The passengers were approx 99.9% from Puerto Rico and a small few from the mainland and Canada. That said, boyfriend and I agreed that we did not feel they displayed any bad/rude behavior.

I did feel a little out of place at the bars with mostly spanish being spoken and the shows were all geared to local Puerto Ricans. .....Didn't ruin my cruise...in fact I can't wait to go back to PR in May.

A tip for anyone with a late flight; which we had on Monday. We took a taxi to the Marriott Stellaris and checked our bags ($5 each) and took a tour of the hotel (had one of the ee's show us some rooms for our upcoming stay in May). Had a few pina coladas:D :D :D and some lunch and enjoyed the weather. Got changed back into our winter clothes:( :( and then took a taxi to the airport.

Much better than sitting at the airport for 5 hours.

Wow I can't believe how long this thread has lasted. I guess we aren't the only ones that love this ship.:D

Frito - I hope this is one of those threads that sticks around forever, and when it slips in pages - someone looking for useful info the AOS resurrects it!!!

I do love the AOS :) Can't wait to sail on her in a few weeks!!!

Hey CKRobyn.....booked the Marriott Stellaris for the 4 night post cruise.

I talked with someone who used to be stationed in PR. He is now back on the mainland. I asked him if he misses PR. He said he was glad to be back, he says the people in PR are nice but too laid back. I asked him to expand on the "laid back".....he described it as "lack of service" ....guess that could be why Tripadvisor reviews can be all over the place in PR. Oh yeah, he said people drive crazy in PR too.....is it worse than Jamaica?

Hey CKRobyn.....booked the Marriott Stellaris for the 4 night post cruise.

I talked with someone who used to be stationed in PR. He is now back on the mainland. I asked him if he misses PR. He said he was glad to be back, he says the people in PR are nice but too laid back. I asked him to expand on the "laid back".....he described it as "lack of service" ....guess that could be why Tripadvisor reviews can be all over the place in PR. Oh yeah, he said people drive crazy in PR too.....is it worse than Jamaica?

A few things....

I didn't really notice folks in PR more laid back than any other Caribbean island :) I think by virtue of where they live, and the climate.....lends itself to a more laid back atmosphere. After all, most people that visit are on vacation!

I too rely heavily on Trip Advisor. Having said that - most opinions on there are subjective. What may be perfectly fine to one, may be completely unacceptable to another. I read the reviews, and I know what is important to me when I travel - for example the hotel room itself. If I read from 2 or more reviewers of a particular property that the rooms are in bad shape, dirty, broken airconditioning etc - I would likely re think my decision to stay there!!

As for the driving habits of local SJ folks....LOL! When we took a cab into Old San Juan I was gripping the seat in front of me....my knuckles turned white! I'm not kidding!! We did make it there safely....but there appears to be few signs (if any) with posted speed limits!!! :rolleyes:

A few things....

I didn't really notice folks in PR more laid back than any other Caribbean island :) I think by virtue of where they live, and the climate.....lends itself to a more laid back atmosphere. After all, most people that visit are on vacation!

I too rely heavily on Trip Advisor. Having said that - most opinions on there are subjective. What may be perfectly fine to one, may be completely unacceptable to another. I read the reviews, and I know what is important to me when I travel - for example the hotel room itself. If I read from 2 or more reviewers of a particular property that the rooms are in bad shape, dirty, broken airconditioning etc - I would likely re think my decision to stay there!!

As for the driving habits of local SJ folks....LOL! When we took a cab into Old San Juan I was gripping the seat in front of me....my knuckles turned white! I'm not kidding!! We did make it there safely....but there appears to be few signs (if any) with posted speed limits!!! :rolleyes:

CKROBYN, I too, try to weed out the tripadvisor reviews and the cruisecritic reviews. Some folks aren't pleased no matter what....or they will complain about everything.:eek:

How are the cabbies in SJ compared to Jamaica?

CKROBYN, I too, try to weed out the tripadvisor reviews and the cruisecritic reviews. Some folks aren't pleased no matter what....or they will complain about everything.:eek:

How are the cabbies in SJ compared to Jamaica?

When I was in Montego Bay on the Radiance in 2006, we had a great cab driver. I found that people tended to obey the speed limit, and I didn't feel as if my life was at risk while driving around the city. On the flip side, like I said in my previous post - I was a bit on the nervous side in the cab while driving around San Juan :rolleyes: Hope that answers your questions??

Thanks, I hope so. You have to post your review when you get back. We are really looking forward to our trip. May 11 actually May 9 can't get here soon enough.

Go to the Ports of call board and click on Barbados. Lots of info re: jolly roger there..

I think someone was asking what time the muster drill is since the ship leaves at 8:30pm? I believe it is right after first seating dinner.....somewhere around 7:30pm. I may be wrong, since I have only cruised the AOS when it left at 10pm - but I remember someone saying it was right after first seating.....

I think someone was asking what time the muster drill is since the ship leaves at 8:30pm? I believe it is right after first seating dinner.....somewhere around 7:30pm. I may be wrong, since I have only cruised the AOS when it left at 10pm - but I remember someone saying it was right after first seating.....

LOL! First time I am quoting MYSELF :eek:

I stand corrected. Just saw on another thread that the muster will take place at 4:45pm :rolleyes:

We went on AOS out of San Juan a few years back, and we don't remember anything like what has been posted about PR cruisers. We had a great time, and loved the ship.

Do you think that people who read the reviews go looking for "trouble?" I think if that you go looking for a group of PR (or any ethnic background) young people being loud and rowdy, acting up in the pool, hanging out on the staircases, etc., on a ship that large, you will find them. I would never let this ruin a vacation for me or my family.

It might me that those folks are not used to being around young people. Having 3 kids (11, 13, 15) who are in youth groups at church and involved in sports activities, we are around them all the time, and our house frequently is filled with many more kids than just our own. There is a difference, though, between kids being loud, and those who are destructive, rude, and obnoxious. Even the best kids can get out of hand, and usually all it takes is for an adult to speak up, and in a respectful way, tell them they are being too loud or rowdy.

We just booked another cruise this August, and are looking forward to it so much. This time, we're leaving our kids at home, since it is an anniversary cruise and they are in school. We'll have a great time, no matter what! I've loved reading this thread. Let's keep it going.

We went on AOS out of San Juan a few years back, and we don't remember anything like what has been posted about PR cruisers. We had a great time, and loved the ship.

Do you think that people who read the reviews go looking for "trouble?" I think if that you go looking for a group of PR (or any ethnic background) young people being loud and rowdy, acting up in the pool, hanging out on the staircases, etc., on a ship that large, you will find them. I would never let this ruin a vacation for me or my family.

It might me that those folks are not used to being around young people. Having 3 kids (11, 13, 15) who are in youth groups at church and involved in sports activities, we are around them all the time, and our house frequently is filled with many more kids than just our own. There is a difference, though, between kids being loud, and those who are destructive, rude, and obnoxious. Even the best kids can get out of hand, and usually all it takes is for an adult to speak up, and in a respectful way, tell them they are being too loud or rowdy.

We just booked another cruise this August, and are looking forward to it so much. This time, we're leaving our kids at home, since it is an anniversary cruise and they are in school. We'll have a great time, no matter what! I've loved reading this thread. Let's keep it going.

Glad to hear you had a good experience on the AOS and will sail her again this summer!!! How nice to take a vacation without the kids.....we have an 11 yr old and so far we have yet to take a vacation without her :rolleyes: Maybe one day........I'm trying to convince DH to do an 'us' cruise for our 15th anniversary in 2010 :D

I hope this thread keeps going....it has eased many fears....

I read a review that said there were lots of rowdy people on the ship - not just Puerto Ricans and was worried about it. I went on several Carnival cruises when I was little and was one of the rowdy ones:o but I definitely didn't want a lot of that for my honeymoon.

My husband and I are trying to find a way to pay for a new RCI cruise because we just can't go on a Carnival cruise anymore. AOS was absolutely amazing. There were a few unruly kids the first day, but someone must have taken care of it. We never saw any kids running around, pushing elevator buttons, or any type of group that was overly obnoxious and rowdy. I love it and hope to go again for our anniversary some day!

3 weeks from today and I am in San Juan!!! :D

Have you done the St. Lucia/Antigua/Barbados, etc route? This is the one we are booked for, and I am looking for ideas for these 3 ports, as we have never been before.

Have you done the St. Lucia/Antigua/Barbados, etc route? This is the one we are booked for, and I am looking for ideas for these 3 ports, as we have never been before.

No, unfortunately I haven't. I sail the Aruba route because we usually cruise in the winter (Feb/Mar). I would love to do that route though - I have never been to any of those ports and they all look beautiful! :)

Try the ports of call board - I'm sure you will get tons of ideas over there!

I have been on the Barbados route twice (once on Serenade and once on the Adventure) so I will try to give you a few hints.

On the Port of Call boards you will see rave reviews for Cosol in St. Lucia. My first cruise and trip to St. Lucia, our excursion was cancelled and we were glad as we were tired from the port intensive cruise. Second time we went kayaking on Pigeon Point. Fun, enjoyable, but ready to try something different.

In Antigua, I've personally gone on Eli's Ecotour twice and it is well worth the money. Would love to try his new tour.

Been to Barbados twice, but I will send you back to the Barbados boards as I think they may have better recommendations for tours.

Jen

Thanks- I have been reading the ports of call boards to try to get some ideas. We would really love to do the helicopter tour of Monserrat- that is the only thing we know we are going to do for sure.

The only "bad" thing about this itinerary is that there is only one sea day!

We did the Cosol tour in St. Lucia last Sept. and it was awsome, he will show you a lot of the island and feed you local food the entire day.

Thanks for the info. On the St. Lucia board, there have been some threads warning about violence and crime on this stop. I think it would be wise to do something with a local tour- they will probably be safer.

Also- I love to try local food on port stops, and some tours just give a box lunch with a tuna sandwich- I can get that at home. This is good to know.

Thanks!

We were stopped at those ports on the Serenade.

Here is what we did:

Antigua- stepped off the ship and walked around a bit and then took a taxi tour of the highlights of the island. There was a stand right on the dock with prices and intins for different tours. We went to Shirley Heights, Nelson's Dockyard, some other stops and then stopped at Darkwood beach for a couple hours. In absolutely fantastic beach. Each wave brought in hundreds of small shells- it was wonderful. BTW- this is definitely a great island. Lots of navel history.

Barbados - we did a jeep tour that was fun. This had a beach stop- another great beach.

St. Lucia- The best tour ever with Cosol. I highly recommend his tour. It was by far the best tour we have had. There are many comments on the port boards about him.

http://www.cosol-tours.com

also my pics are at http://www.jlfcruise06.dell.shutterfly .com

They are organized by island so you can see the great beaches.

You will love these islands!!!

Archived