cost of cruise

sej67

Does anyone know why it costs less for a cruise to the Caribbean (starting at less than $100 per day per person) than to more "exotic" areas like Europe, South America, etc.? This seems to hold true even though the ship size and amenities are the same, and in both cases the crew is international (i.e., slave labor... whoops, I didn't just say that...).

Easy question, many easy answers:

Fuel costs less in the Caribbean.

Food costs less in the Caribbean.

Food and fuel are the two largest operational cost items for a cruise ship.

Generally speaking, flying crewmembers into and out of the Caribbean is far cheaper than flying them into and out of Europe. Crew costs are the third largest operational cost for a cruise ship.

The cruise line earns dollars from you when you cruise. They pay dollars for food, fuel, and crew transport in the Caribbean. They must convert your dollars to Euros at a very unfavorable exchange rate to pay for the same things in Europe.

There is far more competition in the Caribbean. Carnival and Royal Caribbean are battling to the death for control of the market. Prices there are artificially low as a result.

Amenities are NOT the same in both areas.

European Cruisers generally have much higher expectations than Caribbean Cruisers. Menus, wines, activities, perks, and many other considerations are better, and far more costly in Europe.

As far as flying crew in, the crew seems to be from all over the world - India, Canada, Argentina, South Africa, etc. So either you fly them from all over to the Caribbean or you fly them all over to Europe or other areas. Can't see how there'd be a big difference there.

I've been on 3 cruises to Europe, one to the Caribbean, one to Mexico and one to Alaska. I've noticed no differences in amenities.

As far as the weak dollar, I know it's been weak for quite sometime now. But I'm led to believe that the price differential was apparent long before the weak dollar. Can any seasoned cruiser confirm that?

As far as the weak dollar, I know it's been weak for quite sometime now. But I'm led to believe that the price differential was apparent long before the weak dollar. Can any seasoned cruiser confirm that?

Hello sej,

I would accept the explanation of Bruce, ...... I believe he is more than " a seasoned cruiser " ...... if you read his posts, you will find out that he has spent close to 30 years in the cruise industry on many different ships, and currently he works as one of the senior officers on a cruise ship ........ I doubt if there is anyone with more experience .

I believe his explanation.

Wes

Does anyone know why it costs less for a cruise to the Caribbean (starting at less than $100 per day per person) than to more "exotic" areas like Europe, South America, etc.? This seems to hold true even though the ship size and amenities are the same, and in both cases the crew is international (i.e., slave labor... whoops, I didn't just say that...).

Mainly supply and demand. Port charges and fuel cost differents would also add to it. During our exotics were usually only us in port or at most one other ship. Grand Cayman averages probably 5-7 ships in port.

Demand translate to people usually rather sail the Med than say the Mexican Rivera. Less ships ply the Mex Riv, but less people prefer to sail it, so it tends to be cheaper. Alaska has a high demand and high supply so the fare are in the midrange.

Dont forget the weak dollar. The Euro is worth a lot more dollars, so our cost as Americans is very high in Europe, cruise or land vacation. The cruiselines can charge more for a vacation in Europe right now.

For a while people said they were tired of the Caribbean, but demand seems to be getting stronger and prices are rising.

"Dont forget the weak dollar. The Euro is worth a lot more dollars, so our cost as Americans is very high in Europe, cruise or land vacation. The cruiselines can charge more for a vacation in Europe right now."

But what about South America, where the Dollar is not that low? Cruises there are more expensive than the Caribbean.

"Dont forget the weak dollar. The Euro is worth a lot more dollars, so our cost as Americans is very high in Europe, cruise or land vacation. The cruiselines can charge more for a vacation in Europe right now."

But what about South America, where the Dollar is not that low? Cruises there are more expensive than the Caribbean.

S. America is also further from us so usually its a 10 day cruise to get down there from the ones Iv looked at. The longer cruises that are not repos cost more per day.

Cruises thru Panama area and on to Costa Rica are expensive because the taxes to go through that port are more expensive than other ports.

You do a hop, skip and jump to the Bahamas which is 90 miles from Port Everglades to Freeport compared with the fuel to go down to S. America, its much more expensive for the cruiseline. I really want to see Costa Rica, Iv heard its fabulous.

It costs more to go further from the port you leave from...fuel.

"You do a hop, skip and jump to the Bahamas which is 90 miles from Port Everglades to Freeport compared with the fuel to go down to S. America, its much more expensive for the cruiseline."

I'm going on a cruise next month that goes from Rio de Janeiro to Buenos Aires. Looking on the map, it looks like the distance traveled each day (10 days) is no more than the distances on a typical Caribbean cruise. Yet it costs considerably more per day.

Archived