Why can't NCL get close to the price offered by my travel agent

Can anyone explain why this is.

We have just booked on the Norwegian Jade for a 2 week med cruise in July.

This is for 2 adults and 2 children.

As being Latitude members we decided to go through NCL direct (foolishly thinking we would get a preferential price like they advertise). However we thought the price they came back with was expensive, so we tried a couple local travel agents who have come back at £500 cheaper for the overall cost.

Since booking this we have found the same cruise with an online travel agent which would save us another £400 and would also get us a better cabin (going from a stateroom with picture window upto one with a balcony)

We are now considering cancelling our 1st booking, losing our deposit, and rebooking through the online agent and still saving more money for a better cabin.

Nearly £1,000 difference in the end between NCL and the best travel agents price

So why can't NCL match these prices ??? :confused::confused:

Steve

As being Latitude members we decided to go through NCL direct (foolishly thinking we would get a preferential price like they advertise). However we thought the price they came back with was expensive, so we tried a couple local travel agents who have come back at £500 cheaper for the overall cost.

Since booking this we have found the same cruise with an online travel agent which would save us another £400 and would also get us a better cabin (going from a stateroom with picture window upto one with a balcony)

We are now considering cancelling our 1st booking, losing our deposit, and rebooking through the online agent and still saving more money for a better cabin.

Nearly £1,000 difference in the end between NCL and the best travel agents price

Steve

We booked through the US NCL site and it was around £1500 cheaper than the UK NCL site due to weak dollar. None of the cruise dealers or travel agents came close.

Steve

We booked through the US NCL site and it was around £1500 cheaper than the UK NCL site due to weak dollar. None of the cruise dealers or travel agents came close.

Why should NCL, either way they get the business, there is no incentive for them to do so. Also, why would you try to do that to an agent who worked to get you such a good price in the first place. I would think that sort of performance should be rewarded by loyalty. If it were me, I would reward them with my business, not try to use their pricing and hard work to take business away from them. Good for NCL for doing something positive to support their agents and not undercutting them to take business away from them!

By the way you are far enough out that even if you cancel your first reservation, you should not lose your deposit. You have up until final payment date to cancel without penalty, aside from a cancellation fee that your agent may or may not impose.

There are a number of reasons for this. In some cases the travel agent is remitting some of its commission to you. In other cases they are selling a group rate that they have gotten with other Travel agents.sometimes the cruise lines wholesale rooms to travel agents for a fixed fee and the Ta's are free to resell them for any amount.

I don't understand why you want NCL to match it.

Most cruises are still sold through travel agents and NCL nor any of the cruise lines have decided to compete directly with their main means of distribution. Yes they have in house agents but they still suggest in every ad that you contact your travel agent. No cruise line has yet decided to push the TA's out...they may want to but they haven't yet. The first cruise line that does is going to have to cut its prices to do direct distribution.

There are a number of reasons for this. In some cases the travel agent is remitting some of its commission to you. In other cases they are selling a group rate that they have gotten with other Travel agents.sometimes the cruise lines wholesale rooms to travel agents for a fixed fee and the Ta's are free to resell them for any amount.

I don't understand why you want NCL to match it.

Most cruises are still sold through travel agents and NCL nor any of the cruise lines have decided to compete directly with their main means of distribution. Yes they have in house agents but they still suggest in every ad that you contact your travel agent. No cruise line has yet decided to push the TA's out...they may want to but they haven't yet. The first cruise line that does is going to have to cut its prices to do direct distribution.

Sorry - I may have misled you.:o

We only went back NCL to ask why there was such a big difference between travel agents prices. We didn't ask them to match it, although it would have been nice as we would prefer to deal direct.

My original question was just asking why NCL were no way near as competative as the travel agents, as surely they make more money selling direct rather than paying commission to a third party.

Most of the cruise lines prefer dealing with TA's. If everyone dealt directly with the cruise line, they would have to expand there reservations department and pay all those people. They only have to pay a TA when they actually sell one of there cruises.

I have never found any direct booked cruises a bargain. I understand in the UK deposits are nonrefundable. Then, frankly, I would definately be comparing many agencies and not making any purchases until, I knew the price was the lowest at the time of booking.

It definately pays to be on several emails of discount agencies. Always compare and keep pricing trends yourself. If you see a drop immediately contact your booking agent and request a price adjustment. This works before final payment.

If you see a drop immediately contact your booking agent and request a price adjustment. This works before final payment.

Provided, of course, that the new price isn't for "new bookings only". If so, it then becomes an iffy proposition.

Most of the cruise lines prefer dealing with TA's. If everyone dealt directly with the cruise line, they would have to expand there reservations department and pay all those people. They only have to pay a TA when they actually sell one of there cruises.
you are right, plus paying us a commission is a heck of a lot cheaper than hiring staff, opening call centers and paying benefits.

Nita

I've canceled to get it. :)

Even that isn't a guarantee. Some have reported trying that and the NCL computers caught their name in the system and kicked em out as not a new booking and wouldn't give them the lower price

Steve

If you booked through the UK you will be mad when you see the prices through on-line TA's in the US

The latitudes discount for the Jade cruise I am looking at is $200($50pp on a $12k spend with 4 people. Some Jade cruises have $100pp latitude discounts.

If you are looking at 2 cabins then you may find you can swing for an AB(none left) for the same money as you pay in the UK. here is some pricing for Jade med on July 26

Mini suite AF sleeps 4

1-2pax 2,489.26+$111.02+$98.00 =$2,698.28

3-4pax $718.96+$111.02+$42.00 $871.98

total for 4 $7,140.51 (£3600) might be a latitude discount did not try for that.

cheapest 4 berth inside would be around £2800

If any cruise line tried to undercut the pricing of the their thousands of loyal travel agents, they would be out of business very soon. The travel agents would have no reason to try to sell cruises for them. The cruise line would be forced to hire, train, and pay thousands of additional sales people, and construct very expensive buildings to have them work from. None of this makes any sense.

Would you expect to be able to contact General Motors in Detroit and get a better price on an auto than one of their 1,000's of franchised dealers would give you? Of course not. It would defeat the entire distribution system for the company.

If you booked through the UK you will be mad when you see the prices through on-line TA's in the US

The latitudes discount for the Jade cruise I am looking at is $200($50pp on a $12k spend with 4 people. Some Jade cruises have $100pp latitude discounts.

If you are looking at 2 cabins then you may find you can swing for an AB(none left) for the same money as you pay in the UK. here is some pricing for Jade med on July 26

Mini suite AF sleeps 4

1-2pax 2,489.26+$111.02+$98.00 =$2,698.28

3-4pax $718.96+$111.02+$42.00 $871.98

total for 4 $7,140.51 (£3600) might be a latitude discount did not try for that.

cheapest 4 berth inside would be around £2800

Unbelievable !!!

We can't even get an oceanview EE for that price, through a TA.

And what's worse - NCL best price (including latitude discount) was £4,500

for an Oceanview EE.:eek:

It's no wonder that you none-UK'ers can afford to cruise so often !!

-

Unbelievable !!!

We can't even get an oceanview EE for that price, through a TA.

And what's worse - NCL best price (including latitude discount) was £4,500

for an Oceanview EE.:eek:

It's no wonder that you none-UK'ers can afford to cruise so often !!

-

I am in the UK and book my NCL cruises through the US. no real problems except some admin issues dealing via email with the TA but I here NCL direct are fine if you don't mind paying a bit more.

Refundable deposits as well on the lower grades.

Archived