What Not To Miss on the QM2

themutis

We will be on the Feb 4 day Bahama cruise - and with only one day on land I was wondering what peoples favorite places and activities are on the QM2

It's such a big ship - any guidance would be appreciated!

Open Decks, open decks, open decks

Library

Commodore Club

Chart Room

Open decks

Grand Lobby

Chart Room

Sir Samuel's for morning coffee and pastries

Outside lifts from decks 7 - 11

Bridge Viewing Area

Everything really

Jane

Open Decks, open decks, open decks

Library

Commodore Club

Chart Room

Open decks

Grand Lobby

Chart Room

Sir Samuel's for morning coffee and pastries

Outside lifts from decks 7 - 11

Bridge Viewing Area

Everything really

Jane

What about the Planetarium, Jane :D

Gav :cool:

Don't miss: afternoon tea in the Queens Ballroom.

The sailaway from Brooklyn on deck 12 as you pass underneath the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

Pub Trivia, Lunch at the Golden Lion Pub particularly Chicken Korma and Fish and Chips.

Jonathan

Your Title reminds me that it has been a long time since anyone has mentioned this great thread about the QM2. There is a huge amount of information about the QM2 on this thread. As you will discover, four days is not nearly enough time to enjoy everything the ship has to offer!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=104597

Beth

What about the Planetarium, Jane :D

Gav :cool:

I never made it there. Too busy doing nothing....

I can't see the point of having a fake pub lunch instead of lunch in the restaurant, but that may just be me.

The afternoon tea in the Queen's Room isn't a patch on QE2 from my experience.

The Commodore Club is wonderful. The open decks are wonderful.

Relaxation is what this ship encourages. I think it would be a waste of her to rush around ticking boxes on the "seen it" sheet - but then I think she is built for transatlantics where relaxation is the principle activity.

Matthew

I never made it there. Too busy doing nothing....

I can't see the point of having a fake pub lunch instead of lunch in the restaurant, but that may just be me.

The afternoon tea in the Queen's Room isn't a patch on QE2 from my experience.

The Commodore Club is wonderful. The open decks are wonderful.

Relaxation is what this ship encourages. I think it would be a waste of her to rush around ticking boxes on the "seen it" sheet - but then I think she is built for transatlantics where relaxation is the principle activity.

Matthew

The Planetarium is brilliant, though the one time we went we fell asleep, like many others. The children did not (sleep), and proclaimed it also brilliant.

You go to the Pub and have lunch with your friends or potential new friends you wouldn't eat lunch with otherwise. Think fun.

Commodore Club--you covered that.

I found that the ship encouraged do things! And so it took us until today to recover from our recent voyage. I agree with you, however, about the ticking off boxes--arrive as early as possible your first time and run thru the ship, ticking then, and afterwards, settle into what you found you liked best.

You go to the Pub and have lunch with your friends or potential new friends you wouldn't eat lunch with otherwise. Think fun.

Good point.

I wouldn't have wanted to eat anywhere else as I had a lovely group of tablemates. Plenty of drinking time for friends away from dinner!

But you're quite right - especially if there is a group that spans restaurants/sittings.

I did say it could be just me!

Matthew

Good point.

I wouldn't have wanted to eat anywhere else as I had a lovely group of tablemates. Plenty of drinking time for friends away from dinner!

But you're quite right - especially if there is a group that spans restaurants/sittings.

I did say it could be just me!

Matthew

I mean no disrespect to our dining room tablemates, who were the children, but we got to meet new friends one day and have lunch with recently-met new friends another. So we got to expand the number of wonderful people we knew onboard the ship. And the Guiness is pretty good there, too. ;)

Now why didn't you say that earlier? All your other arguments pale into insignificance!

Matthew

Well, because sometimes your pint gets to you after the cascade has already, well, cascaded. Don't want anyone to think it's perfect down there when the Guiness might be cascading on the bar whilst the crew are busy with other tables. I'm not unreasonable with my requests, you know.

You know that Guiness is healthy and good for you, yes?

You know that Guiness is healthy and good for you, yes?

That's what the advertising used to say. So of course I believe them!

Some of the less clear memories of my teenage years suggest that taken to excess the argument fades, as the vision doubles......

Matthew

That's what the advertising used to say. So of course I believe them!

Some of the less clear memories of my teenage years suggest that taken to excess the argument fades, as the vision doubles......

Matthew

Recent scientific studies have proved the old advertising to be true! Yay science.

Moderate moderation tends to work best, in all versions of moderating and also with moderation. ;)

Recent scientific studies have proved the old advertising to be true! Yay science.

Moderate moderation tends to work best, in all versions of moderating and also with moderation. ;)

According to Fox News yesterday, German scientists have shown that beer contains antioxidants that will prevent cancer. You only have to consume 60 per day to obtain the benefit.:D

According to Fox News yesterday, German scientists have shown that beer contains antioxidants that will prevent cancer. You only have to consume 60 per day to obtain the benefit.:D

I'll get right on that! :p

Paul

I think I'll stick to red wine and dark chocolate. Don't like beer.:( Jane

That would take care of the cancer ok. You'd be dead of cirrhosis long before you got cancer :)

J

I enjoyed standing outside our cabin (mid ships deck 6) and looking down the l_o_n_g hallway to the aft door out to the pool area - it has a little window in it so you can see the daylights- it really gives you a feel for how huge and long the ship is.

Also loved the Planetarium (fell asleep one time- blame it on the wine at lunch!!), pub for trivia and lunch - and people watching, especially on formal nights (I kept waiting for Cary Grant to appear!) What a wonderful experience it was to sail on her. Enjoy:)

I enjoyed standing outside our cabin (mid ships deck 6) and looking down the l_o_n_g hallway - it really gives you a feel for how huge and long the ship is.
I agree with you and I've included two of my favourite photos. The first looking forward from 4090 and the second looking aft.

IMGP1358.JPGIMGP1359.JPG

Enjoy,

Margot

• 6 years later...

To the Board as a whole,

If this thread exists somewhere, please bring it to my attention, but if not, could somebody consider starting the Complete Cunard Compendium of how to maximize one's joy on a voyage? I've been reading every thread, trying to glean line- and ship-specific knowledge here and there, and I will continue to do so. But it would be great if there was a repository for "So you've chosen Cunard, here's our collected wisdom for your first..."

There are many eloquent, efficient writers who frequent this board. I'm reluctant to start a list, lest anyone think I left somebody off it! It would be such a great help if novices such as me could find much of the collected knowledge all in one spot.

Here is one collection from 2008.

Don't miss:

Riding the outside elevator for a long-view look at the ocean and a vantage point from which to count the lifeboats…

Reading in the Commodore.

Drinking in the Commodore.

Walking anywhere around the ship.

Skipping scarf-tying class to read a book instead.

Re-boarding each and every time. Always a thrill to be back on board.