Smart Casual for men???

jowahe

What does smart casual mean? All I can find on the Princess website is "what you'd wear to a nice restaurant at home". Well that doesn't tell me anything since where I come from, nice restaurants differ greatly by location (beach, resort, downtown business district, etc.), weather, time of year, etc. I'm going on a long (31 day) cruise and don't want to bring a lot of unnecessary clothing. I'll bring a tux for formal nights, but will dress slacks and an open neck shirt be OK for smart casual nights? Or must a sport jacket be worn also? Thanks for your help.

Far too casual for evening wear. Great for the golf course but not in a restaurant unless you class Burgerking as one!

Decent shoes too, not trainers or flip flops.

To be honest people wear what they ruddy well feel like and don't have a clue how to dress or give any consideration to the suggested dress code.

A shame! but that's the way it is these days.

Far too casual for evening wear. Great for the golf course but not in a restaurant unless you class Burgerking as one!

To be honest people wear what they ruddy well feel like and don't have a clue how to dress or give any consideration to the suggested dress code.

Your going to get lit up for this one. Although I partly agree, I see a lot worse than polo shirts. Cant wait for the response that says "Jeans are now acceptable according to Princess as long as they are clean"

SPARE ME!

It depends on the cruise location as to how dressy people will be on smart casual nights, but no, you will not need a sport coat.

On most cruises, the gentlemen wear slacks with ANY collared shirt. These shirts include hawaiian shirts or polo shirts, which are very popular, easy to pack and look very nice.

From the website:

Smart Casual Evenings:

• Passenger attire should be in keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home. Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

As long as you do not wear the above mentioned "no-nos", you will be fine. There are always some people who want you to dress to the nines every night :rolleyes: , but you will find that they will be in the minority on Smart Casual night. If Princess wanted the gentlemen to wear dress pants and a dress shirt with sports coat on smart casual night, you would see it listed on the website.

Looking at the wording of the above, yes, you could wear nice jeans and even a shirt with no collar as I see no mention of a collar being required.

However, the guys in my family always wear dress slacks and nice polos or tropical shirts and they look fabulous and fit in with the majority of the gentlemen.

Packing for 31 days has got to be a treat! Good luck and remember there are laundry rooms available which I even use on a 7 night cruise.

It depends on the cruise location as to how dressy people will be on smart casual nights, but no, you will not need a sport coat.

On most cruises, the gentlemen wear slacks with ANY collared shirt. These shirts include hawaiian shirts or polo shirts, which are very popular, easy to pack and look very nice.

From the website:

Smart Casual Evenings:

• Passenger attire should be in keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home. Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

As long as you do not wear the above mentioned "no-nos", you will be fine. There are always some people who want you to dress to the nines every night :rolleyes: , but you will find that they will be in the minority on Smart Casual night. If Princess wanted the gentlemen to wear dress pants and a dress shirt with sports coat on smart casual night, you would see it listed on the website.

Looking at the wording of the above, yes, you could wear nice jeans and even a shirt with no collar as I see no mention of a collar being required.

However, the guys in my family always wear dress slacks and nice polos or tropical shirts and they look fabulous and fit in with the majority of the gentlemen.

Packing for 31 days has got to be a treat! Good luck and remember there are laundry rooms available which I even use on a 7 night cruise.

I can't beleive anyone would question polo shirts except on formal nights of course. On HAL which certainly is as formal as Princess men wore polos shirts to dinner many nights, same on Celebrity. Your family seems to dress pretty much the way DH usually dresses on a cruise.

Nita

From the website:

Smart Casual Evenings:

I agree with this completely. Just abide by the no nos, dress nice, and you should be fine.

It's not like you're cruising on Crystal where everyone is expected to outdress each other every night. :rolleyes:

So are you telling me that my speedo with red suspenders won't work !

Your going to get lit up for this one. Although I partly agree, I see a lot worse than polo shirts. Cant wait for the response that says "Jeans are now acceptable according to Princess as long as they are clean"

SPARE ME!

and without rips and holes!

Esprit,

For Rudy's sake don't be an English snot and try to impose your "limey" standards on the rest of the world.

Thanks to the Romans us Scots have a wall that kept you lot out for centuries.

Perhaps the standards might apply on an extended voyage on Cunard or P&O but certainly not on any of our North American cruise lines.

The bottom line is...if you don't like the standards set by a specific cruise line then don't get onboard period.

For those of us from North America,

Smart casual means dress slacks and a collar shirt. I have seen a dress short sleeved mock turtleneck with a blazer or sport jacket. The bottom line is that we should look decent and clean (without jeans or shorts) when we walk into the Dining Room with our ladies.

Hope this helps with your packing decisions. Enjoy your cruise and

"Escape Completely" with Princess.

Ciao for now!!!

Jeezzee, there always has to be one doesn't there!!

Looking at Princess's latest DVD they show tons of Polo Shirts at dinner and in lounges. The gentlemen look well dressed. And to Esprit, please don't put your standards on others.

I find the description "casual jeans" interesting, and perhaps therein lies the answer to a question I've had. My husband has a pair of very dark denim slacks. They are cut like dress pants, with pleats..not western jean cut. They look very nice with an open shirt and sport jacket. I am assuming that will be OK on non-formal nights on an Alaskan cruise?

I find the description "casual jeans" interesting, and perhaps therein lies the answer to a question I've had. My husband has a pair of very dark denim slacks. They are cut like dress pants, with pleats..not western jean cut. They look very nice with an open shirt and sport jacket. I am assuming that will be OK on non-formal nights on an Alaskan cruise?

Yes, he should be just fine -- although, pants with pleats -- a fashion no-no! Seriously, it'll be fine, and he won't need the sports jacket; Princess's non-formal nights (resort-casual) doesn't require a jacket at all.

Esprit,

For Rudy's sake don't be an English snot and try to impose your "limey" standards on the rest of the world.

Thanks to the Romans us Scots have a wall that kept you lot out for centuries.

Perhaps the standards might apply on an extended voyage on Cunard or P&O but certainly not on any of our North American cruise lines.

The bottom line is...if you don't like the standards set by a specific cruise line then don't get onboard period.

Cheers mate! I'm actually of Italian extraction. Designed by an Italian; built in Britain, so I guess dressing up for me comes naturally.

I also wear jeans on smart casual nights and find Princess far superior to P&O.

With your sense of humour I would have had you down as a limey too.

Ciao

Archived