Laundry

django

Trying to lighten load for a 14 day cruise/5 day post cruise vacation. I did a search on this forum and read some great tips. But can anyone tell me are the laudry rooms open 24 hrs or are there set times? I am especially interested on any information about the Royal. Since I am a very early riser I thought I could do a few loads then.

They are open 24/7 or what ever your cruise length may be. There is one usually on each deck with rooms. One on port and one on starboard. There are two washers and two dryers and a sink in each room. It costs $1.50 to wash and the same to dry. They have soap to purchase out of a machine in the room.

Hope this helps!

My understanding is that they're only open between 7am and 11pm, but I could be completely wrong -- that's based on my cruise on the Grand, which was the only one where I've ever actually set foot in the laundry room, and there was a sign up to that effect. I've never sailed on the Royal so it could be completely different. Sorry, that's not terribly helpful. Hopefully someone who's been on the Royal will chime in.

Also on the Royal Princess there is only one laundry and that is on Deck 7 opposite Cabin 7079.

So there will probably always be people waiting to use the washers and dryers. We have been on both the Tahitian and Pacific Princesses and this is the same setup.

Jennie

Thank you for your replies. Luckily we are on the same deck as the laundry room on the Royal, it might make things a little easier. I have also been told that there is a possibility that the laundry room would be closed when we enter the Amazon River. Anyone know why that would be?

On the Royal in November, the laundry room opened at 8am & closed at 9pm or so.

Just returned from the Royal; hours are correct.

There are four Washing Machines and four Driers.

Have no idea why the Laundry would be closed in the Amazon.

Reference closing the laundries in the Amazon - that may have to do with how the drains are routed. If they go to holding tanks, laundry would probably be permitted; if the drains directly discharge, laundry probably would not be permitted.

We were right across the hall from the laundry room on Emerald and never heard any noise, as there are double doors in the entryways. Also didn't know about hours, as they weren't posted. Went in one time when there was a sign "closed for maintenance" but threw a load in anyway. Turned out the maintenance was just emptying the money out of the machine and I didn't seem to be in the way.

We went up the Amazon on HAL's Veendam in 2006 and the laundry was closed from the moment we entered the Amazon until we returned back down it and entered the Atlantic Ocean once more.

The ships cannot make distilled water whilst up there and so they try to cut down on the use of water by closing the laundry and asking us to only use one set of towels a day instead of replacing them at night. They have to rely on the water that they have taken at the port before they enter the Amazon and then in Manaus

They did offer a very cheap laundry package from the ship's laundry for the four or five days we were there though.

Jennie

Archived