We just got off the Summit

jobythebay

Can you tell me if there were people carrying large insulated tumbers with the ship's picture on it - they would have gotten these if they purchased a soda pass.

Yes there were many. The cost is $5.00 a day for as much soda as you want. I only have one diet Coke a day so I paid the $2+ (I believe it was $2.24 because they add in 10% for a tip.) for it. But any more than two you'll be better off with a pass. Jo

I agree with the comment about it not being okay to break the expectation for courtesy of not saving chairs that you do not need at the moment. We need to show some common respect for our fellow cruise mates. The idea that just because everyone is doing it is a major weakness in our society at large- doing so on a vacation that everyone should be able to enjoy is very inconsiderate. Please reconsider your position of "saving chairs." Thank you

Although they say don't save, everyone does. Obviously if you just put down a towel on chairs no one is going to be very happy but we would put down towels, our books and tote bag (you'll get a Celebrity bag for free in your room) and then went for breakfast. We'd go to the pool, sit for awhile and then leave again. That's fine. So do that especially if you have a large crowd because by 11:00 it will be hard to find lots of empty chairs.

No, jobythebay, "everyone" doesn't save chairs, so please don't encourage newbies to be chair hogs.

Dear Jo, thank you for all of the deatailed answers to my questions. I can tell you had a fantastic time on your cruise by the enthusiam in your anxsers. You are making the following cruises for all of us CC Summit readers a joy to look forward too. Thank you, Enquiste

Dear Jo, thank you for all of the deatailed answers to my questions. I can tell you had a fantastic time on your cruise by the enthusiam in your anxsers. You are making the following cruises for all of us CC Summit readers a joy to look forward too. Thank you, Enquiste

Jo

I agree totally with Enquiste, the information you have provided on your Summit cruise has been wonderful.

I have another question, we have Main Dining seating in the evening at 6:15 and were wondering if arriving at 6:15 is appropriate or should we be there somewhat earlier? Didn't know what the protocol is for joining your tablemates.

Thanks again for your great review.

Jo

I agree totally with Enquiste, the information you have provided on your Summit cruise has been wonderful.

I have another question, we have Main Dining seating in the evening at 6:15 and were wondering if arriving at 6:15 is appropriate or should we be there somewhat earlier? Didn't know what the protocol is for joining your tablemates.

Thanks again for your great review.

You are welcome. I'm glad I'm being helpful! That's a great question. You should be there at the time that dinner is served. We had the 8:30 seating. The room didn't open until 8:30 so there was no need to be there earlier. However try to be there when the doors open or no more than 5 minutes later. What happens is the waiter may wait to hand out menus for a couple of minutes and then he/she will give the menus to the others at the table. This happened to us a couple of times and we felt as if we were holding others up and then we sort of had to catch up. So we made a point of being there at 8:30. Jo

I agree with the comment about it not being okay to break the expectation for courtesy of not saving chairs that you do not need at the moment. We need to show some common respect for our fellow cruise mates. The idea that just because everyone is doing it is a major weakness in our society at large- doing so on a vacation that everyone should be able to enjoy is very inconsiderate. Please reconsider your position of "saving chairs." Thank you

I obviously agree with you! There have been MANY postings about "chair hogs" on these boards. Because of those, I wish people would just DO something to fix the problem they're experiencing...like take the long empty chair themselves or notify a pool butler....rather than just moan about it, or WORSE..join in on the routine and tell others that it's the way things are done. Give some people 30 minutes and they'll take 2 hours. That's all I'll say on the subject. I apologize for hijacking the Summit comments. But we just got off a 12 day cruise last week and had no problems with chair useage.

Were there any shows, events, etc. that you would say are the not to be missed things on board?

I do think the shows may change but the Celebrity dancers and their costumes are not to be missed. We went to every show except one because I didn't care for the magician. If the aerialists are on board they are amazing. Noodles Levenstein is hysterical and Lindsey Hamilton was wonderful to listen to. I wouldn't miss those shows. There was also a pianist whose name I'll go look up when I get back from errands who was superb. Jo

eandj, what ship were you on?

We were on Oceania's Regatta...a 12 day Carib. The pool area was very busy obviously because of the warm weather itinerary. However, we ran into NO problems with people not giving up a chair. The pool stewards really kept things "honest". Appeared to work like a charm. They would pull single chairs out and move them to accomodate a couple if needed. Very civil. But it was an adults only clientele. That will make a big difference as compared to a mainstream ship during summer months.

HI Jo, another question for you if you don't mind ... we were on Summit last July and there was a GREAT 4-guy singing act (can't for the life of me remember the name) - they sang at a couple of the shows and in one of the bars (the champagne bar I think but could be wrong) - I'm wondering if they are still doing their thing on board??

Thanks

HI Jo, another question for you if you don't mind ... we were on Summit last July and there was a GREAT 4-guy singing act (can't for the life of me remember the name) - they sang at a couple of the shows and in one of the bars (the champagne bar I think but could be wrong) - I'm wondering if they are still doing their thing on board??

Thanks

No problem - as long as you don't bring up chairs:cool: I'll be glad to answer any questions you have. Yes they are not only there (On Point) but they were such a hit that people asked Jeff (cruise director) if he could feature them. (I guess he's done that before but he made it seem that this was very special). So one night they were on first before Lindsey Hamilton in the Theater. They are terrific. I hope they get a recording contract. We talked with them. Hubby was curious how they met. It seems that two are from one state and two are from another and somehow a friend connected them. They truly are incredibly talented. I hope people get to see them but I have a feeling they won't be doing cruise ships for too much longer. Jo

Hey there,

We were on the cruise and loved it. We had done Panama Canal before but only went into the Gaten Locks then back out again. We really had a great time and met lots of people.

Also the painist was Antonio Salchi. We have had him before on other cruises as well as Noodles (he did the same routine as the last time). All the shows that the dancers did, we have seen before as well. I think they need to change them soon. I really loved On Point and Jeffery Ang, they were the best on the cruise. The party band Wave sucked. They were off a beat each song and seemed to wreck everything that they sung. On all the other cruises that we have taken with Celebrity they were the worst by far. Other than them, we had a great time.

Kim

Thanks, Jo, for all the info.! I'm even more excited now!!!:p

Glad to read a review that was so positive.

Hey Iris, I see that we were on the Infinity together back in April 2006 from SF on the 17th to the Mex Rev. Not only that, you live only about 45 min north of me. I live in Escalon, just east of Manteca. Anyhow, just wanted to say 'hi' to a fellow passenger.

Hey there,

We were on the cruise and loved it. We had done Panama Canal before but only went into the Gaten Locks then back out again. We really had a great time and met lots of people.

Also the painist was Antonio Salchi. We have had him before on other cruises as well as Noodles (he did the same routine as the last time). All the shows that the dancers did, we have seen before as well. I think they need to change them soon. I really loved On Point and Jeffery Ang, they were the best on the cruise. The party band Wave sucked. They were off a beat each song and seemed to wreck everything that they sung. On all the other cruises that we have taken with Celebrity they were the worst by far. Other than them, we had a great time.

Kim

Thanks, now I don't have to comb through my newsletter all of which I kept. Antonio was fantastic! Jo

They are called the Voice Males and were on the ship in Oct/Nov still.

Thanks Tisambas, it was doing my head in trying to remember their name.

No problem - as long as you don't bring up chairs:cool: I'll be glad to answer any questions you have. Yes they are not only there (On Point) but they were such a hit that people asked Jeff (cruise director) if he could feature them. (I guess he's done that before but he made it seem that this was very special). So one night they were on first before Lindsey Hamilton in the Theater. They are terrific. I hope they get a recording contract. We talked with them. Hubby was curious how they met. It seems that two are from one state and two are from another and somehow a friend connected them. They truly are incredibly talented. I hope people get to see them but I have a feeling they won't be doing cruise ships for too much longer. Jo

I promise I won't bring up the chairs;) !! It's great to hear that they are still on board, especially as we are thinking of sailing on Summit in March. The reason I asked about them is that I had the same thinking as you ... they won't be singing on cruise ships for long before someone spots them - they really are the best act I have seen on ANY cruise I have taken ... hopefully they will still be on board in March.

Thanks for the info!

Can anyone advise as to experiencing difficulty booking dinner in the Normandy Restaurant. I understand we should make reservations very soon after we board the ship.

We would prefer to go there on a "casual" dining evening, as we enjoy dressing for dinner on the ship. Also, do they book by specific time or is it if you have Main Seat dining, then you have Main Seat dining in the Normandy?

Anticipating enjoying an evening there and hoping we don't find we are unable to get reservations.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Iris, I see that we were on the Infinity together back in April 2006 from SF on the 17th to the Mex Rev. Not only that, you live only about 45 min north of me. I live in Escalon, just east of Manteca. Anyhow, just wanted to say 'hi' to a fellow passenger.

Hi - Glenda & Carl! Were you part of the CC party??? We had 85 people for the party and then there were about a core of 25 who met at the martini bar everynight. We have soooo much fun!

I see you are going to Alaska. We also did Alaska via SF on the Infinity and it was awesome! There is still time for you to join us to Europe!!!:p

Can anyone advise as to experiencing difficulty booking dinner in the Normandy Restaurant. I understand we should make reservations very soon after we board the ship.

We would prefer to go there on a "casual" dining evening, as we enjoy dressing for dinner on the ship. Also, do they book by specific time or is it if you have Main Seat dining, then you have Main Seat dining in the Normandy?

Anticipating enjoying an evening there and hoping we don't find we are unable to get reservations.

Definately try to go to the Normandie fairly early so you get the best choice of times - booking is the same as in a 'regular, non cruise' restaurant in that you just select what time you wish to eat - it isn't connected in any way with the timings of the Main restaurant.

When we sailed Summit last July we ate at the Normandie twice. We had never opted to eat at any of the speciality restaurants before and I have to say it was spectacular! So much so that we will be sailing Summit again in March (all going to plan - we're just about to book) And we will be booking the Normandie for ALL 7 nights this time ... that's how much it impressed us last time. Oh, and BTW I'm a vegetarian who doesn't eat cheese and they made me two 'special' main courses as there was nothing on the menu that was vegetarian without cheese and they were unbelievable!!!

My newsletter advertises " Reservations can be made at ext 4707 between 9 and 6. This was the 2nd day at sea. We didn't go but if you know you want to then you may as well make them. I can't be sure about how they seat you but my guess would be that you can make reservations when you want not according to when you eat in the dining room but maybe others know for sure. Jo

I see it was answered below:)

Archived