Status of OBC for Stock Purchase

Hplar

When I last faxed my paperwork in showing the stock I owned, I requested a confirmation that they received the fax and I would receive credit. I got an email confirmation from them almost immediately.

The actual OBC will appear on your statement on the ship sometime during your cruise (usually a couple of days into the cruise). Mine has always been there.

I have never received a confirmation of my OBC before I sailed. But it has been there on our last 3 cruises.

It's probably a good idea to bring aboard your fax, with copy of statement or trade confirmation. Check with Guest Relations to see if your credit has been applied, and if it has not, you have the proof they need to credit your account.

Read this link for info on the shareholder benefit and how to get it:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-shareholderbenefit

To the OP: you can email shareholderbenefit@rccl.com and ask for an email confirmation. (Be sure to reference your booking number and sailing date.) We printed ours out and are taking it with us.

--Junglejane

Rick (Chessbriar), can showing your fax to Guest Relations will help. I'm pretty sure this has to come through the offices in Miami.
You are correct. It has to come from the head office. If you have the confirmation they received it and it doesn't show on your account, that would help. But that's about it.

I purchased 100 shares of RCL several days ago and FAXED a copy of my purchase invoice to RCCL. What now? How do I know when the OBC is applied?

Hi Hplar !

FYI, I did answer your question. No idea why you started a new thread :)

Here was my response :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=13110814&postcount=48

For those who email/fax in your request, you said you typically get a reply. I do not always get a confirmation from them, so the best method is to ask for a copy of your Invoice from your Travel Agent, if you use one.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Hi Hplar !

FYI, I did answer your question. No idea why you started a new thread :)

Here was my response :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=13110814&postcount=48

For those who email/fax in your request, you said you typically get a reply. I do not always get a confirmation from them, so the best method is to ask for a copy of your Invoice from your Travel Agent, if you use one.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Sorry Andy...I had forgotten that I questioned it on another thread.

Do we fax proof again each time we sail, or do they keep a record and put the OBC in place?

Hi Seagazer !

I wish they did that.... but they dont. You have to make the request prior to your Cruise. I suggest doing it as far in advance as possible. However, if you book multiple Cruises, you can fax in more than 1 booking number at a time.

One of the reasons they will not keep it on file, is that they need a recent statement at the time of request, as a shareholder may have sold their shares, and may no longer be eligible for the benefit. Makes perfect sense though.

• 1 month later...

Hello All!

This couldn't be easier! I got a .pdf file of my January Scottrade Statement, saved it as a document, copied it into an email, and emailed it to ShareholderBenefit@rccl.com. I did this last Friday. Today, I received the confirmation that they had received it, and that the OBC was applied to my room. I'm sailing in May! This was way too easy to mess up! Happy Sailing!

Do we fax proof again each time we sail, or do they keep a record and put the OBC in place?

Hi Seagazer !

They will not keep the information on file. You need to make the submission each time, before you sail. Also, you must include a recent statement each time you make the submission. However, if you make multiple bookings, you can list all of your booking #'s on the request and they will accept that.

Is this a good 'long term investment'? or is it best thought of as a way to get the OBC each time you cruise? We are not 'frequent' cruisers, so would like to feel that money put into the stock has some long term value as well!

Thanks for any advice before I call the broker!!

:D

Dot

Is this a good 'long term investment'? or is it best thought of as a way to get the OBC each time you cruise? We are not 'frequent' cruisers, so would like to feel that money put into the stock has some long term value as well!

Thanks for any advice before I call the broker!!

:D

Dot

I don't think that this is a good investment if one is buying it just for the OBC. As to whether it is a good overall investment is a hard question to answer on the forum as there are some people that can afford the price of the stock just for the fun of saying they own it, some where it fits in fine with their investment portfolio and others who really can't afford to lose even a few hundred dollars if the price of the stock goes down.

Look at it this way: The price of RCL stock, like much of the stock market, has been fairly volatile recently. It regularly goes up or down 4 or 5 dollars or more in a week, and sometimes in a day. In the past 3 months alone this stock has varied in price from 32 per share to 44 per share. If you were to buy 100 shares now you could easily find the stock going up or down in value by hundreds of dollars. If the stock price drops $10, like it did in one of the swings over the past few months, a 100 share investment could decrease $1000. So while the OBC can be one of the factors in deciding if the stock is a good match for you the better questions are your overall risk tolerance, your short and long term goals, and your overall belief in the outlook for the cruise industry. If you're not sure where you fit in with all of this ask your stock broker or another investment adviser.

If you're not sure where you fit in with all of this ask your stock broker or another investment adviser.

Great advice ... I presume you must be an investment professional. If not, you're an educated investor!

Each one of us is different in the risk we can tolerate. I own RCI and watch it tick up and down throughout the day. I'm in this for the long haul, as a shareholder and a cruiser, so if it goes down even $10 in a day, that's okay. If it becomes worthless, it won't hurt my portfolio much. If you watch the value of your account on a daily basis and cannot afford to lose every penny of your investment, then you're better off getting your OBC through TA or cruiseline promotions, not through shareholder benefits.

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions. I would certainly not be putting 'the rent money' into such an investment, nor would I expect to 'make a killing' on it. But if it has some immediate benefit, it could be worth considering.

Dot

• 1 month later...

I wanted to give a quick word of praise to the prompt response time on a request of the Shareholder benefit.

I sent my request on Thursday night (literally in the middle of the night).

I received an email on Monday afternoon that my request had been processed and that I should expect my OBC to be there when I cruise in July.

Less than 2 business days. Kudos to the staff!

Now, if they could do something about the stock price I'd be happy.

Archived