Eastern Carribean Weather in August?

mikil321

Hello! I would like to ask some seasoned cruiser that has experience in the Carribean (especially Eastern) how are the seas around this time frame????. I have an Aunt that is considering cruising with us but is very concerned about rough seas? We are leaving Miami on Carnivals Imagination August 25th/2008 Would any seasoned cruiser please give us a helping hand Thanks Mike and family

The "official" hurricane season starts June 1 and ends November 30 (not that hurricanes haven't occurred before and after these dates). Recently, many of the more severe hurricanes have occurred in September and October. But even a tropical storm can kick up some wind and waves.

Unfortunately, there's virtually no way to know until shortly before the ship departs whether or not your cruise could be affected by a storm.

We sailed eastern last July. It was smooth sailing with no problems but man it was hot in some places. Puerto Rico was THE worst, probably because that was the one place we didn't do anything water related.

We sailed the Disney Magic two years ago in August, the Eastern. Very Hot!

It was very hot, first day remnants of a hurricaine, seas choppy, but not too bad. One day of rain, very hot!

Had a great time, did I say it was very Hot!

Thanks Cruisemom for your reply. I thought September and October were the start of Hurricane season??????

From Natl Hurricane center "

"Hurricane Season in the Atlantic runs from June 1 to November 30. As you can see from the graph above, the activity ramps up in August and peaks once in early September then again in October. Persons travelling to areas near the Atlantic basin should exercise caution during Hurricane Season. "

I always cruise in Oct or Nov because I went once in May and I was constantly in the pool. It was too hot to even lay out for too long :o

We have cruised from Boston or NYC to Bermuda and the eastern Caribbean every August since 2004. We have been really fortunate to have great weather and really smooth seas on all cruises except (NCL Majesty August 2005). We had a tropical storm while in port and rough seas on the way to Bermuda. Coming back was great however.

I agree with other posters, it was very hot!

Archived