Straight scoop on prices changes

kywildcatfanone

Hi,

If you book a cruise either via Princess.com or a online travel web site, and the price drops before final payment, can you get an adjustment from either Princess or the online travel site? I have read conflicting posts on other threads. My understanding is that after final payment your changes of getting an adjustment are quite slim, correct?

Thanks,

Mike

An adjustment after final payment is probably not going to happen. That does not preclude you getting some sort of token for the drop in price; perhaps a on board credit, or a bottle of something. A lot depends on you TA as to whether you get something or not. Princess probably won't. Might depend on how full the cruise is. The other thing to look at is Princess dropping the price, or is a TA somewhere dropping the price. And just what is dropping, the actual price of cruise, port charge, taxes or is the TA's commission dropping. One has to be careful and check all the items when a lower price is seen.

Hi,

If you book a cruise either via Princess.com or a online travel web site, and the price drops before final payment, can you get an adjustment from either Princess or the online travel site?

Thanks,

Mike

We booked through Princess 1-800 for our Hawaii cruise. When about 4 months before sailing I saw a significant price drop, I called them. We received the adjustment on the spot with great courtesy and ease. I was also advised to call again if the price dropped again. However, the price only went up from there, but I was a very happy customer with my savings. The key is to keep an eye on the prices until final payment, and act quickly when you see a change.

From a very seasoned travel agent:

With Princess it depends on the type of pricing that is introduced. I have been able to get them to reduce pricing even after final payment as long as the new promotion isn't what they call a "Flash" - coded with FLA or something similar. If it is a Flash promo you will have more luck with the lottery than getting a price adjustment after final payment due date. Much better than Carnival - just OBC for a price reduction after final payment date - no matter what kind of promotion it is.

As to the comment above that a price reduction is also a commission reduction for a travel agent - to me it is most important to have a happy customer - I take great pleasure in calling a customer to let them know about a price reduction no matter what I have to give back to the cruise line to make it happen.

Now I need to call my sister and tell her about the $900 price drop on her Alaska cruise for this summer! Yeah!

jack

Hi, If you book a cruise either via Princess.com or a online travel web site, and the price drops before final payment, can you get an adjustment from either Princess or the online travel site? I have read conflicting posts on other threads. My understanding is that after final payment your changes of getting an adjustment are quite slim, correct? Thanks, Mike

We have gotten them. As mentioned above (and as you mentioned) before the final payment is your best bet. You can always cancel and rebook as long as the price you are booking at is not only for new bookings.

One thing that happened to us is after we booked we got an upgrade. Then I saw a significant price drop. Called our TA, got the new price, but had to give up the upgrade. That was fine with us because the savings were significant.

On 2 of the cruises that I booked directly with Princess, when I found price reductions in their website, I called and was granted the reductions immediately. On one, in addition to the reduction, all balcony cabin categories had been made the same price, and I requested and was granted a cabin change from BC to BA. Confirmations of the changes were emailed to me within a matter of minutes.

From a very seasoned travel agent:

Now I need to call my sister and tell her about the $900 price drop on her Alaska cruise for this summer! Yeah!

jack

Dear Jack -

We are on the Star Princess Aug. 3 Seattle rt I have seen some price drop since we booked and my TA adjusted our cruisefare - not the same $$ as the Princess price drop - but Princess cruisefare started much higher than our 'Group' cruisefare so I guess it is a matter of %.

What sailing is your sister on that there was such a significant price drop?

$900 - Wow that is a big price drop!

Thanks, GotToCruise

Archived