Why cruise ship passengers stand out!

Hlitner

This is meant as a fun post, so please do not flame me. We are very frequent cruisers (about 70 days a year) and also are fortunate to spend a good part of the winter in a Puerto Vallarta condo that overlooks the bay, the Malecon (the local boardwalk) and has a view of the ships as they come and go from the Marina. Sometimes we sit on our balcony and look down on the Malecon and pick-out the cruise passengers (very easy from 3 stories up). Many of them carry bottles of water....which makes no sense in a town where there is a bar and restaurant every 10 feet. They also love their fanny packs (I know the Brits laugh when we use this term) and sometimes carry so much stuff it looks like they are ready to trek in the rain forrest rather than in a very tourist friendly city. And than there are the ones who take some kind of silly walking tour that you can always spot by their little number tags as they walk on a street that is like any street in any resort. Of course on their walking tours they get to go to stores that open just to serve their tour (nobody else goes to some of those stores). I actually tried ,to help a lost family today (on one of our local buses) who, when I asked the which ship, quickly replied, "how did you know we were on a ship?" When I pointed out that nobody carries water bottles here when they can get a Margarita for $1.00 (at the Cheeky Monkey) they just blush. Anyway, enjoy your cruise, have fun in the ports, and treasure the memories (even if you look like cruise passengers).

Hank

Hi Hank,

I have read your posts in the past on these boards and you usually have excellent information given your many cruise vacations. I will be in Puerta Vallarta on Feb. 21st from 8 am to 10 pm from the Dawn Princess. Do you have any suggestion on how we should spend the day? My husband would love to do some fishing and/or scuba diving while on the cruise. Do you recommend either at this port??? Also, we will be traveling with a 21 and 22 year old...any suggestions on activities for them???

Thanks for you help,

Maureen

Greetings Hank,

Don't the Brits call fanny packs "Bum Bags" or something like that because they are worn over your "Bum"?

All of your observations are very astute. But you know, even if the cruise passengers left their water bottles, fanny packs, took no tours and did it on their own, I think you could still spot them (I include myself in "them") because they are always in a hurry. They are trying to see everything a port has to offer in the 8-10 hours they are ashore. Scurry, scurry, scurry - museum, fort, church, shopping, bar plus a relaxing 15 minutes on the beach; then back to the ship for the Captain's Party.

Richard

Ok, let me try to suggest some answers (never sure if they are real answers) to the questions. Regarding SCUBA diving, your best bet is to contact Chico's Dive shop. Their web site is http://www.chicos-diveshop.com/

I believe they are PADA certified and generally considered the top dive shop in PV. Regarding other options, take a look at Vallarta Adventures web site where they list lots of tour options (this will give you some ideas). This is the same company used by many of the cruise lines, but its often cheaper to book your own tours. If you simply want to spend a day in town, just take the bus and use your legs.

Now, since somebody asked I will talk about the Cheeky Monkey. In PV, most of the bars charge about $5 for a margarita and $3 for a beer. The Cheeky Monkey, which is located right in the center of the Malecon on top of Pacific Jewelers, charges $1 for a margarita or a bottle of beer, and that is all day every day. They are not the best margaritas in town, but for the price and view its hard to beat. In fact, you can walk up to the third floor (that is the Cheeky Monkey) and have a few margaritas. Than walk down to the 2nd floor where they have Valtarraza which is a sub shop run by the same guy who owns Cheeky Monkey where you can have a nice meatball sub and more margaritas (still only $1). By now you should be pretty drunk, so you stumble down one more floor to Pacific Jewelers where you can buy your wife some nice diamonds without feeling the pain. How's that for a plan.

By the way, from the Marina area you can take a bus into town for 5 pesos (50 cents). Simply take any bus that has "Centro" lettered on the front window making sure to avoid buses that have "Tunel" on the front window.

Hank

This is meant as a fun post, so please do not flame me. We are very frequent cruisers (about 70 days a year) and also are fortunate to spend a good part of the winter in a Puerto Vallarta condo that overlooks the bay, the Malecon (the local boardwalk) and has a view of the ships as they come and go from the Marina. Sometimes we sit on our balcony and look down on the Malecon and pick-out the cruise passengers (very easy from 3 stories up). Many of them carry bottles of water....which makes no sense in a town where there is a bar and restaurant every 10 feet. They also love their fanny packs (I know the Brits laugh when we use this term) and sometimes carry so much stuff it looks like they are ready to trek in the rain forrest rather than in a very tourist friendly city. And than there are the ones who take some kind of silly walking tour that you can always spot by their little number tags as they walk on a street that is like any street in any resort. Of course on their walking tours they get to go to stores that open just to serve their tour (nobody else goes to some of those stores). I actually tried ,to help a lost family today (on one of our local buses) who, when I asked the which ship, quickly replied, "how did you know we were on a ship?" When I pointed out that nobody carries water bottles here when they can get a Margarita for $1.00 (at the Cheeky Monkey) they just blush. Anyway, enjoy your cruise, have fun in the ports, and treasure the memories (even if you look like cruise passengers).

Hank

AHHHH People watching, what a fun sport. You are so correct in your observations. There are a great many who wouldn't touch a margerita or eat in Mexico -hence the water bottle and a fanny pack full of snacks. Oh and don't forget the camera. :D

I guess the 10s of thousands of Americans and Canadians that live in PV during the winter are all nuts, because most of us have no problem eating anywhere or drinking anywhere. That being said, nobody here drinks the tap water (although its theoretically quite safe) and every bar and restaurant and even the street venders use bottled water (we buy 5 gallon bottles for our condo for about $2.50. No need to carry bottled water here since you can buy it anywhere for less than you pay on a cruise ship. All the bars use purified ice, bottled water, and real alcohol (the important part). We will generally eat at over 35 different restaurants during the winter (including street venders) and have never been sick. Of course the ones that go out and drink all night are often quite sick, but its from all the booze!

Hank

Actually, I do drink the tap water in PV. And in restaurants and bars, I request tap water rather than bottled water. Yes, I know it's tap water, as I've seen it come from the tap. In 15 years, I've never been ill while in PV.

I hate to say this but we Americans stick out anywhere. This fact was driven home to me when I was in France with my wife. We were instructed to drop our bus fare in the box by the driver. He said Merci (thank you in French) to every rider. When my wife stepped up and put her fare in the box, he switched to English and said Thank you to both of us. After I passed the fare box, he switched back to French.

It is true, in almost any country you go, with the exception of possiblity Canada and Australia, we stick out. And since the cruise industry is predominantly an American industry, it figures that cruise passengers stick out. I embrace my American-ness. I really love to explore ports of calls and generally do not do excursions. Eating in local restaurants and drinking the local concoctions is interesting and very educational. PS. I don't carry bottled water, I prefer local brews!

It's not just in other countries that tourists stick out! We have a pretty heavy tourist trade right here in San Diego. We play spot the tourist all the time! We are forever telling people where things are, helping them get "unlost" finding a grocery store, finding their car or hotel. The funniest thing ever, just awhile back I was at the 7-11 (convenience store)and a car full of navy guys pulled up. Boy were they lost. They were going in a westbound direction when they came into the parking lot. They were looking for a suburb about 5 miles west (they overshot their exit big time!). I told them that they had been going in the right direction and that they should keep going that way (pointing west) and the street would actually empty out onto the free way going in the direction they wanted. I told they waht to look for once they got on the freeway and how to take that exit and find their friend. They thanked me over and over, turned the car around, waited for traffic to clear.......and turned east! Sheesh! I guess you just can't help some people! I just started laughing. By the time I came out of the 7-11 they drove by going in the right direction. I hope none of those Navy boys were navigators! :D

It's not just in other countries that tourists stick out! We have a pretty heavy tourist trade right here in San Diego. We play spot the tourist all the time!

:D

Ditto here...tourists in Alaska (especially cruise ship passengers) stick out like a lighthouse beacon . You know when the first cruise ship has hit Whittier or Seward, even though we're 100 miles away, because all of a sudden the grocery stores are full of docker-clad shoppers. And the people who come up specifically for the hunting and/or fishing are obvious, too. As are tourists who come up in March for the Iditarod.

I'm not sure why everyone is in such a tizzy over blending in when they travel to foreign countries, when they don't try to fit in when traveling in their own country. Besides, Europeans don't try to blend in (well, maybe they do try...but it's not successful) when visiting here.

This fact was driven home to me when I was in France with my wife. We were instructed to drop our bus fare in the box by the driver. He said Merci (thank you in French) to every rider. When my wife stepped up and put her fare in the box, he switched to English and said Thank you to both of us. After I passed the fare box, he switched back to French.

Reminded me of a funny story i had while in Paris.

We were getting on a bus and I gave the driver my fare and said "merci" as he handed me my change, my mom gave the driver the fare and just smiled and bobed her hear, a girl that was traveling with us gave the driver the fare and replied "gracias" upon getting her change.

I laughed so hard i nearly wet my pants. All day it would pop in my and again would make me laugh out loud.

Ok, let me try to suggest some answers (never sure if they are real answers) to the questions. Regarding SCUBA diving, your best bet is to contact Chico's Dive shop. Their web site is http://www.chicos-diveshop.com/

I believe they are PADA certified and generally considered the top dive shop in PV. Regarding other options, take a look at Vallarta Adventures web site where they list lots of tour options (this will give you some ideas). This is the same company used by many of the cruise lines, but its often cheaper to book your own tours. If you simply want to spend a day in town, just take the bus and use your legs.

Now, since somebody asked I will talk about the Cheeky Monkey. In PV, most of the bars charge about $5 for a margarita and $3 for a beer. The Cheeky Monkey, which is located right in the center of the Malecon on top of Pacific Jewelers, charges $1 for a margarita or a bottle of beer, and that is all day every day. They are not the best margaritas in town, but for the price and view its hard to beat. In fact, you can walk up to the third floor (that is the Cheeky Monkey) and have a few margaritas. Than walk down to the 2nd floor where they have Valtarraza which is a sub shop run by the same guy who owns Cheeky Monkey where you can have a nice meatball sub and more margaritas (still only $1). By now you should be pretty drunk, so you stumble down one more floor to Pacific Jewelers where you can buy your wife some nice diamonds without feeling the pain. How's that for a plan.

By the way, from the Marina area you can take a bus into town for 5 pesos (50 cents). Simply take any bus that has "Centro" lettered on the front window making sure to avoid buses that have "Tunel" on the front window.

Hank

Hank, Thanks very much for the tips re bus and Vallarta Adventures -- I really appreciate it. And I look forward to visiting the Cheeky Monkey!

YW. Regarding the SCUBA, Vallarta Adventures also advertises that they do SCUBA. So you might try them as a back-up in case Chico's cannot accomodate your desires. As to the Cheeky Monkey, its nothing special, but the location, view and prices are the best. For anyone trying to find the place, its opposite the famous ladder sculpture which is near the center of the Malecon.

Hank

Ah! Someone from San Diego I have a SD question for y'all. Do you know if the 7-11s or possibly Hilo Hatties sell the beach mats that fold up like we can get at any ABC store in Hawaii for under $5? I like them so much better than taking a towel to the beach but I've always given ours to in-coming tourists as we are leaving. Are they an Hawaiian phenom or do y'all have them too? (Yes we spent enough time in Texas that we use a second person plural.)

would u say then that it's ok to walk around on your own with out booking tours ahead of time. my husband and i love to to travel but r not really into the organized tour thing...how realistic is it to get to the port and head out on your own? with little to no spanish:o

When we started coming to PV in the winter, we decided we should learn some Spanish. But it has become very difficult since most of the Mexicans here speak some English. I cannot speak to tours since we travel all over the world and seldom use tours anywhere. But, the main cruise ports in Mexico such as PV, Mazatlan, and Cabo are all very tourist friendly and are full of English speaking residents during the winter. A smile and "gracias" will take you far anywhere in Mexico. The ports are all quite safe (particularly during the daytime and early evening) and using the local buses is a lot of fun. Our condo in PV has a reserved indoor parking space, but in two winters here we have never needed a rental can and never even used a taxi (except to get to our condo from the airport). All our travel around the region is on local Mexican buses. In PV you can take a bus from just outside the Marina to downtown ("Centro") for 5 pesos (thats 50 cents). If you want to go on your own, do some research on the internet (you can look at maps and get advice on where to go) and just have fun.

Hank

Hank...

We will be in PV Feb 20th on Carnival Pride. I got your message about catching the bus to town and being safe and all. Can you tell me other than the cheeky monkey, what I might want to check out on if we decide to walk around on our own? Things that I can google to get particulars. Any idea what a private taxi tour around the city might run? Just trying to figure out if I want to board the tour bus at the pier with everyone else, or set out on our own and see what PV is about. Once you are downtown, what bus do you catch to get back to the ship?

Thanks in advance....

BTW: I wil not have a fanny pack or bottled water, but I am sure I will be burnt nice and red! HAHA Having said that...what will the temps/weather be like in late Feb.?

Hola! We're here in PV for 1 week at an AI. Got brave & took the bus to Rio Cuale after checking with the driver that he went there. In the meantime I thought maybe we'd just take a round trip bus tour but he

kept saying Rio CUale, Rio Cuale so we got off & walked around there by the flea market, then back along the Malecon passing the Cheeky Monkey.

Didn't have the energy to climb to the 3rd floor! PV's a lovely place & you're so lucky Hank to spend the winter here!

Tomorrow we're going to Las Caletas which so many people have commented positively about.

I came here on a cruise two years ago & decided it's a place to see more of! Enjoy!

~Jo~ :)

ps Had no water or fanny pack but was carrying my HAL canvas bag.

Many of them carry bottles of water....which makes no sense in a town where there is a bar and restaurant every 10 feet. Hank

Lol I am one of those who goes no where in the heat without a water bottle. I know you are saying this tongue in cheeck as to how to spot a cruise passenger but to say it makes no sense, I beg to differ here with you :-)

A lot of us dont drink and dont get it why people have to consume so much things that are simply no good for them. Its very convenient/healthy to have water with you and I make a point of drinking a lot of water while out and about. I fill up my bottle with ship water, it was fine. So when I see someone with water I think : mmm Another very wise tourist.

Not sure why you say it makes no sense. To me it makes a whole lot of sense. I am in a hurry (only a few hours in port) if I have water with me I dont have to line up and wait somewhere to buy it and its free. Just thinking very practical here.

Lol I am one of those who goes no where in the heat without a water bottle. I know you are saying this tongue in cheeck as to how to spot a cruise passenger but to say it makes no sense, I beg to differ here with you :-)

A lot of us dont drink and dont get it why people have to consume so much things that are simply no good for them. Its very convenient/healthy to have water with you and I make a point of drinking a lot of water while out and about. I fill up my bottle with ship water, it was fine. So when I see someone with water I think : mmm Another very wise tourist.

Not sure why you say it makes no sense. To me it makes a whole lot of sense. I am in a hurry (only a few hours in port) if I have water with me I dont have to line up and wait somewhere to buy it and its free. Just thinking very practical here.

I learned a long time ago that if I drank a liter of water a day while in PV (or anyplace warm, but this is where I figured it out) that I totally avoided that feeling of "I don't feel so great today, nothing I can put my finger on, I hope I'm not getting sick" that I used to get once a week when vacationing. So I always have water in my bag unless I know I'm coming back in less than an hour. And since I prefer to not be tied down to a schedule, I always try to remember to carry water.

I've never understood the people who get off a ship and go straight to a bar or pool and start drinking alcohol. I could stay home and do that if I wanted.

Archived