SS. Stockholm 60 years and still sailing. Why not QE2

Cunard Cruiser

We (meaning, me, wife, kids, Roberto the drummer, father-in-law, mother-in-law AND the Polish-lawyer-groupies) were all on the bow during most of that trip.

We enjoyed that trip, even though I didn't see any turtles (everyone else did, though). We thought it was a wonderful Cat ride. The rest was a nice bonus.

You got to pet one? WOW! Did you do the dolphin encounter on, um, Tortola (I think)? We did that and enjoyed it very much.

Yes. We wanted the tour with turtles and a shipwreck but instead got turtles and rum punch on a catamaran, which was just fine. I did get to pet a turtle, though he was hatless at the time.

We (meaning, me, wife, kids, Roberto the drummer, father-in-law, mother-in-law AND the Polish-lawyer-groupies) were all on the bow during most of that trip.

We enjoyed that trip, even though I didn't see any turtles (everyone else did, though). We thought it was a wonderful Cat ride. The rest was a nice bonus.

You got to pet one? WOW! Did you do the dolphin encounter on, um, Tortola (I think)? We did that and enjoyed it very much.

Oh ho! So you all were the ones who kept stepping on the rest of us as we tried to sit and enjoy our ride.....I kid! I don't recall a single stepping-on incident. Now which ones were the Polish-lawyer groupies??

Yes, I had to dive down to do it, but I got to pet one. I saw two turtles and both of them had happy, smiling faces, unlike some of those grouchy turtles you see pictures of. And a couple of times I thought I was going to get into a collision with one, because they would swim right towards me and then go underneath.

No, I've never done the dolphin thing because I have a problem with them being captive. It's tempting, because they're so beautiful and smart...

:D

I'm not sure how we were so lucky as to "claim" the bow, where we could sit on the netting, just over the water, but we were. And almost no one else seemed interested. Just a nice couple from Australia (I think) and a man who just about sat on my head.

The Polish-lawyer-groupies were three women who followed Roberto, the drummer. He said they came to watch the band every night and from observing the way he and the three women interacted, he (yes, and WE) had to spend a lot of time reminding himself of the rules against fraternizing too much with the guests. They were very nice, though and we're sure we made more of the joke than the reality warranted. Still... :D

That said, we spent a LOT of time with him this trip. Which is good, since he expects to leave the ship for good in the near future. He's one of our favorite people and a wonderful part of our "QM2 Experience." We'll miss him when he is gone. Though, as he's from Argentina, maybe we'll just have to visit.

Were you also on the St. Kitts train trip? I ask because there was rum punch there, too.;)

Oh ho! So you all were the ones who kept stepping on the rest of us as we tried to sit and enjoy our ride.....I kid! I don't recall a single stepping-on incident. Now which ones were the Polish-lawyer groupies??

Yes, I had to dive down to do it, but I got to pet one. I saw two turtles and both of them had happy, smiling faces, unlike some of those grouchy turtles you see pictures of. And a couple of times I thought I was going to get into a collision with one, because they would swim right towards me and then go underneath.

No, I've never done the dolphin thing because I have a problem with them being captive. It's tempting, because they're so beautiful and smart...

I'm not sure how we were so lucky as to "claim" the bow, where we could sit on the netting, just over the water, but we were. And almost no one else seemed interested. Just a nice couple from Australia (I think) and a man who just about sat on my head.

The Polish-lawyer-groupies were three women who followed Roberto, the drummer. He said they came to watch the band every night and from observing the way he and the three women interacted, he (yes, and WE) had to spend a lot of time reminding himself of the rules against fraternizing too much with the guests. They were very nice, though and we're sure we made more of the joke than the reality warranted. Still... :D

That said, we spent a LOT of time with him this trip. Which is good, since he expects to leave the ship for good in the near future. He's one of our favorite people and a wonderful part of our "QM2 Experience." We'll miss him when he is gone. Though, as he's from Argentina, maybe we'll just have to visit.

Were you also on the St. Kitts train trip? I ask because there was rum punch there, too.;)

Ahh, it's starting to come clear now, although in the mist of bad memory I still can't see what your faces look like. 3 Polish-lawyer groupies for just one drummer? He must really be some kind of musician. ;) Don't these crew members know how they break hearts when they leave?

Yes, we went on the St. Kitts railway and had some rum punch there, too. The last place I had rum punch was on the ferry from St. Thomas to St. John. And they increased in strength with each excursion! Wheee.

PS: When you go to visit Roberto in Argentina, by all means DON'T let those Polish-lawyer groupies get wind of it...

I JUST had a message from him and he says, YES, he is leaving. Ah well.

Yes, three groupies. One rather attractive and nice and the other two just very nice people.

So, do you recall which car you rode in St. Kitts? Did you ride on top? Were there two kids? And a woman in a white, wide-brimmed hat?

Or, was there a LOT of rum punch on your part of the train?

We enjoed that trip very much. The mountains reminded us all of Hawai'i and the scenery was often beautiful. The kids slept a bit, though. We like St. Thomas but St. Kitts might actually have been our favorite this trip.

Ahh, it's starting to come clear now, although in the mist of bad memory I still can't see what your faces look like. 3 Polish-lawyer groupies for just one drummer? He must really be some kind of musician. ;) Don't these crew members know how they break hearts when they leave?

Yes, we went on the St. Kitts railway and had some rum punch there, too. The last place I had rum punch was on the ferry from St. Thomas to St. John. And they increased in strength with each excursion! Wheee.

PS: When you go to visit Roberto in Argentina, by all means DON'T let those Polish-lawyer groupies get wind of it...

Imperial Majesty's REGAL EMPRESS has some of her beautiful 1950's interiors still intact.

Budget cruising, but a dream for ship lovers.

Glasgow built for the Greek Line as the OLYMPIA, her maiden voyage was in 1953, her final voyage in service may be 2008

2904332440055338351S600x600Q85.jpg

2519388630055338351S425x425Q85.jpg

2128066340055338351S425x425Q85.jpg

2930726240055338351S425x425Q85.jpg

2001473630055338351S425x425Q85.jpg

Kyle,

I am looking into doing a Bahamas cruise in April on her, especially since her fate is unknown. Having seen her leave the past two springs from Ft. Lauderdale when we were there, she is easy on the eyes compared to the rest of the mega crusie ships typically in port. Plus, she's built in Scotland as you pointed out. I'm still trying to work a deal for one more final sailing on another Scottish built ship.......:)

Ken

You sat on the port side. I watched the guy almost step on your head. It's the kind of event you don't quickly forget. We happened to be on the starboard side netting. We shared it with a women who had four young children. She was worried that they would step on us. I also remember a women who was sprawled out in the stern of the boat because she had a reaction to being in the water. It would have helped her if she knew how to swim.

We were in the 3rd or fourth car, on top for the trip around St. Kitts.

Paul

Ken, do it while you can.

When I was on last January, the hotel manager told me that Ocober 2008 would be "it" for her.

She is certainly well worth doing the two-nighter.

Book one of the original first-class cabins. The converted cabins don't really work well, IMO, and you probably wouldn't want one of the "tourist" cabins.

Just look at those gorgeous Clyde-built lines on her!

http://www.maritimematters.com/regalempress1.html

http://travel.webshots.com/album/557027591qAKCqp

The officers' mess is the original first class dining room. Ask permission to see it, and they'll gladly let you in, same for the library which is typically kept locked.

One thing that's cool about the Regal Empress is that you can cruise on her to Nassau, disembark for a Bahamas holiday, then cruise back to Florida after however long you spend in the Bahamas. I wish I knew that a few years ago when I had to stay at Atlantis for ten days on business.

After losing QE2 and the Regal Empress this year, how many Clyde liners will still be in service?

I think the only kids were ours. My wife is pretty small, though. And Roberto looks young. Were you with a blonde woman?

Of course, there were other cat rides.

Hmmm, I think we were in 3 or 4 as well. That's kind of fun to "run into" folks who were on that train.

You sat on the port side. I watched the guy almost step on your head. It's the kind of event you don't quickly forget. We happened to be on the starboard side netting. We shared it with a women who had four young children. She was worried that they would step on us. I also remember a women who was sprawled out in the stern of the boat because she had a reaction to being in the water. It would have helped her if she knew how to swim.

We were in the 3rd or fourth car, on top for the trip around St. Kitts.

Paul

I am looking into doing a Bahamas cruise in April on her, especially since her fate is unknown.
She's on my to-do list this year, too. What departure are you looking at in April?

It would be nice to go with at least one other ship nut who could appreciate her. I tried a couple of times to arrange a group cruise on her but it was in vain, as most of the people I wanted to come had already been and had 'been there, done that' syndrome :( .

After losing QE2 and the Regal Empress this year, how many Clyde liners will still be in service?
OCEANIC II (ex KUNGSHOLM)... Until 2010. Then, hopefully she will become a hotel in Gothenburg.

That's it :( . THE TOPAZ was also built on the Clyde, but will presumably be retired this year as her charterer, Peace Boat, has just chartered a new ship, CLIPPER PACIFIC (ex SONG OF NORWAY etc.).

And while not a liner, DELTA QUEEN was also Clyde-built (sort of - she was then disassembled and reassembled in the US) and will retire this year too. I'd love to sail in her, but I'm afraid it's just too expensive, as it always has been. (She makes QE2 look cheap :eek: !)

I am happy to say I have been on three Clyde-built liners - QUEEN MARY, QE2, and THE TOPAZ. Sailed in QE2, stayed aboard QUEEN MARY, and visited THE TOPAZ. (Photos here.)

She's on my to-do list this year, too. What departure are you looking at in April?

Doug, I am trying to broker a deal within the family regarding our traditional April Spring vacation, which have been cruises the past 2 years, something I want to make mandatory. This year, though, looks like a Disney trip for the kids, but in trade for the theme park torture, I am suggesting this ship to satisfy my kids not so surprising desire to go on a cruise and my ocean liner passion. A Disney cruise, which would sort of satisfied all parties is just not in the cards since we are Back on Cunard in October on the QM2 tandem crossing with QE2 (this cruise is obviously non negotiable unless someone can get me on QE2 instead :) ).

We are looking at April 12th to the 20th window. It would be nice to travel with other ship nuts. It is possible that I could travel solo or just with my son. What times were you considering? I haven't looked at the ship's schedule for a few months.

Kyle, thanks for the info. I believe we we docked next to the Regal Empress in the Bahamas in 2006, the Magica towering over the ship, but I instantly recognized the lines of a "proper" liner of the past.

We are looking at April 12th to the 20th window. It would be nice to travel with other ship nuts. It is possible that I could travel solo or just with my son. What times were you considering? I haven't looked at the ship's schedule for a few months.
I could do just about any Friday departure, I think... Which in your time frame would mean April 18th.

OCEANIC II (ex KUNGSHOLM)... Until 2010. Then, hopefully she will become a hotel in Gothenburg.

That's it :( .

Wow, so just a couple of years away from having zero Clyde-built passenger vessels in service.

Add another to your list next time in the UK by visiting HMY Britannia, in Edinburgh's port of Leith.

Very impressive! She's just beautiful, and a first-rate example of a museum-ship done right.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/551866052XEtlVV

Oi Stowaway!!!

We intend to have our Clydebuilt steam passenger vessel in service for many years to come - the Paddle Steamer Waverley - sixty one years young this time - and like new again!

http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/

Come and pay us a visit - we sail from almost anywhere in the UK west of Greenwich in the course of a season!

Oi Stowaway!!!

We intend to have our Clydebuilt steam passenger vessel in service for many years to come - the Paddle Steamer Waverley - sixty one years young this time - and like new again!

http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/

Come and pay us a visit - we sail from almost anywhere in the UK west of Greenwich in the course of a season!

My Dad and myself sailed on her last summer from Bournemouth Pier to Ryde (IOW) and back, we had a great day with beautiful weather. :D I would highly recommend a trip on her :)

The free ticket we get every year helps ;)

Gav :cool:

I think the only kids were ours. My wife is pretty small, though. And Roberto looks young. Were you with a blonde woman?

Of course, there were other cat rides.

Hmmm, I think we were in 3 or 4 as well. That's kind of fun to "run into" folks who were on that train.

He'd best not be riding around with a blonde woman! ;)

We weren't sitting on the netting on the catamaran, we were sitting on the bench you climb on to get out to the netting. We only had one boy with us and you wouldn't have thought of him as a kid because he's 20.

The part about sitting with the English lady is true. And it would have been in the afternoon, as mornings are a bit difficult when you don't get to bed until 3:30. You know how that goes.

We were also on the latest train on St. Kitts, in the third car. And there was enough rum punch to make one steady whilst standing, but not so much that we forget we'd been. No, no 2 kids and lady with white hat.

Wow, so just a couple of years away from having zero Clyde-built passenger vessels in service.

As well as the wonderful Waverley, there's also numerous Clyde-built ferries in service - although I can't name specifics, Fergusons have been making ferries for Cal-Mac recently.

Archived