2-1 gift cert (buy 1 ticket get 1 free) Is there such a thing?

LadyRose

Wow... I didn't know that this would start a full blown discussion :o

I was just wandering if there was such a thing as a "2-1 gift cert".

jandjfun, please let us know how this comes out. I didn't even know that the seller was breaking the rules :o

I bid 10.00 on a certificate for NCL. Why? Because I too, saw the misworded auction discription, I can afford to lose 15.00 (with shipping) just to mess with this person! I have already turned them into ebay for several things. And I have every intention of reporting them to the cruise lines as well. PLUS, no doubt, I want to see how it plays out with trying to book a cruise.

I have printed out the auction page, every email I have received from and sent to her, and the ebay listing guidelines that she has violated. I don't feel suckered at all. I 99.9 percent know that this is bull pucky, but I don't want to leave it at just that. I want the free second ticket or I want this crap off of ebay.

I will let you know how it plays out. This will be interesting.

I am not talking about 10 bucks. Heck for 10 bucks I would have grabbed that and turned them in as well. There were a couple of auctions in the excess of $100 (I think the RCI one sold for 78 as well).

I surely hope that is an investment to turn the seller in.

I am not talking about 10 bucks. Heck for 10 bucks I would have grabbed that and turned them in as well. There were a couple of auctions in the excess of $100 (I think the RCI one sold for 78 as well).

I surely hope that is an investment to turn the seller in.

I know! I feel sorry for the ones that are bidding so high! This is exactly why it better be what it says it is, or it better be off ebay! I know the Carnival one went for well over 100.00 last night!

Email her and invite her to this thread, tell her many people would like to hear her "story" about the items she sell on ebay. If she is a honest seller she would come her and tell

*lol* That was pretty good. Glad that jandj is going to report her...as an ebay buyer/seller I don't like to see ebay have dishonest sellers playing games with buyers. If she is really hooked up with at TA, she should be called out so the TA will ditch her since she clearly doesn't want to be honest with how she is working with the travel vendors etc...

Most of these certificate sellers are gone now. I've been reporting all day. You need to be a TA and sell under travel / cruises to sell them. None of them were.

Good for you! I have reported them too! I have not been notified by ebay to NOT pay for the auction I already won though, and this person is still a registered member of ebay. So keep checking in that they STAY gone, I will too.

By the way, I told her she can't mess with CC members, and the proof is that all her auctions went poof!

I also told her that I would post on here, the results of my trying to book a cruise. So if it's on the up and up, everyone would know about it!

One more thing, I received an email today through ebay from someone in PA telling me this was a scam, and that they would email me the details.(I am curious if the email is from one of you.) So I will keep you all informed on how this continues to play out.

Good for you! I have reported them too! I have not been notified by ebay to NOT pay for the auction I already won though, and this person is still a registered member of ebay. So keep checking in that they STAY gone, I will too.

By the way, I told her she can't mess with CC members, and the proof is that all her auctions went poof!

I also told her that I would post on here, the results of my trying to book a cruise. So if it's on the up and up, everyone would know about it!

One more thing, I received an email today through ebay from someone in PA telling me this was a scam, and that they would email me the details.(I am curious if the email is from one of you.) So I will keep you all informed on how this continues to play out.

Thanks for looking out for fellow cruisers who have no knowledge of CC or no time to read posts... It is nice to see this community stick together to protect each other...and help police E-bay.

Now you have to figure out how to get your official Ebay Police Detective badge....:D Maybe a free listing as well.

Will be interesting how this all plays out. Good job Cruisinfanatic and jandjfun. :)

Which auctions went poof? I reported this seller on 2/7 and was surprised to see the auctions weren't pulled right away as they definitely violated ebay rules. Looks like they might have given her a warning.....but should have pulled them.

The ones I reported ended on 2/7 with the following high bids.

Carnival - $35.99

Royal Caribbean - $78.77

Norwegian - $10.52

Princess - $41.09

Holland America - $29.00

Celebrity - $36.00

I'm curious how this will all play out too. jandjfun - glad you're keeping after her - ebay doesn't need sellers like this.

Which auctions went poof? I reported this seller on 2/7 and was surprised to see the auctions weren't pulled right away as they definitely violated ebay rules. Looks like they might have given her a warning.....but should have pulled them.

Carnival - $35.99

Royal Caribbean - $78.77

Norwegian - $10.52

Princess - $41.09

Holland America - $29.00

Celebrity - $36.00

I'm curious how this will all play out too. jandjfun - glad you're keeping after her - ebay doesn't need sellers like this.

I quickly calculated it out:

In 3 days she/he raked in $440 (before fees) with this stuff.

Carnival - $35.99

Royal Caribbean - $78.77

Norwegian - $10.52

Princess - $41.09

Holland America - $29.00

Celebrity - $36.00

ALL the auctions that she started after the ones you mentioned have disappeared. If you click on her user name and then "see other items from seller" you will see she has 0 auctions. I can't find the other certificates from other sellers either.

On her original auctions, she doesn't mention that she is a contractor for a travel agency. On the ones ebay ended, she added "I am a contractor for the booking agency." But that doesn't begin to cover the violations she had on her auctions.

I will keep you updated. It could be a few days before I get the certificate in the mail, if I EVER do get it. AS SOON as I get it, I will contact the travel agent, then NCL, then you.

Nope what a scam

really? What do you know that we don't know?

I got an email from the seller today, here is what she said.

"HI,

All of my listings ended with winners. I am waiting to list more until I get all of these shipments out. Why are trying to cause me trouble? do you do this with everyone you win from? I can assure you the certificate works just like it is stated. You buy one ticket and get one free. If you get the certificate and it doesn't work like I say I will gladly give you a refund when you return the item. Other people on ebay are selling them as well. Are you after them too? I'm not trying to mess with anyone and neither is anyone else that is selling these. I am just trying to drive some business to the agency.

Thanks"

So she plans on listing more. Watch for them.

I also got a mini version of an answer from the person in PA, they said that if the auction requires me to pay an additional fee to a third party (15.00), then it violates ebays rules.

I will keep you updated.

really? What do you know that we don't know?

I got an email from the seller today, here is what she said.

"HI,

All of my listings ended with winners. I am waiting to list more until I get all of these shipments out. Why are trying to cause me trouble? do you do this with everyone you win from? I can assure you the certificate works just like it is stated. You buy one ticket and get one free. If you get the certificate and it doesn't work like I say I will gladly give you a refund when you return the item. Other people on ebay are selling them as well. Are you after them too? I'm not trying to mess with anyone and neither is anyone else that is selling these. I am just trying to drive some business to the agency.

Thanks"

So she plans on listing more. Watch for them.

I also got a mini version of an answer from the person in PA, they said that if the auction requires me to pay an additional fee to a third party (15.00), then it violates ebays rules.

I will keep you updated.

If you have her actual name and contact info, address, email, phone etc... perhaps send a complaint to the cruise line if you think they would go after her where Ebay does not. Personally I'd guess the certificates are void if sold or bartered. She is essentially charging the customers she drives to the TA more than the normal commission by selling on Ebay.

Nice to see RCCL valued as tops...but I do feel sorry for someone who parted with so much money for a cert that likely is not as good as it would seem.

I doubt ebay wants to pull listing any more than needed since it sounds as if they are already behind in meeting sales forecasts (ie listing and final fee revenue targets).

Here is an update. I got the long version of the email I received from the person in PA. I am going to edit the email to remove website address, because I don't think we are aloud to mention the sites. If I am wrong, tell me and I will add them back in. Anyway, this all makes sense to me now, and boy is it a rip off.

"The certificate that you bought more than likely now requires you to pay a registration, processing, handling, or booking fee. That violates ebay policy on buying travel related items that require additional fees. You can contact ebay if that is the case and get the auction cancelled, and helps you to get your money back, if you already paid.

Most of these certificates are 2 for 1, as long as you pay full brochure rates of the cruise line, plus port charges , fuel surcharge, and tax for the second person. Typically the full brochure rates are almost three times the amount of what you can purchase them for off of their website. The best prices I have gotten so far is at ...........(removed website)

Plus these certificates, require a higher class room such as balcony or suite. Whereas, inside and oceanview are much cheaper. You don't spend all that much time in your room anyway. Ocean view is nice! ....(removed website) right now is offering up to $100 onboard credit, which is great. Especially since all the cruise lines are now charging a fuel surcharge of $5 per day per person-up to two. You can also check out ....(removed website) and just search for cruise to find more info and tidbits to know. Call the cruise line ask them the full brochure rate verses the current rate. You'll be shocked!

This years cruise we are doing a balcony, only because there are 4 of us, and 2 are smokers.

The certificates that are being sold on ebay is a long process. Once you register your certificate and pay the additional fee, you have to wait to get your reservation form. Then once you get your reservation form, you have to send it back with a $50 deposit, choosing 3 different cruise dates. Then they choose if one is available. Then you decide if that is the one you really want. Then you pay. Then they don't send the info until 30 days before the cruise. In the meantime, you are sweating it out to see if you are actually going.

Watch the wording of the certificate. Stay away if it asks for additional fees to register. Stay away if it says brochure rate, or advertised rate.

Check out www.vacationgetawayincentives.com if you want to see the wording and know what a rip off this is. Certifcate # 3216 or 3218 may still work for the 2 for 1 cruise. If so, read the certificate, or view the sample and read it!

Just remember if it seems like the offer is to good, it is. I originally started selling these certificates until I realized what a rip off they were. Cancelled my agreement with them, now I just try and tell others not to get conned by them.

You may be able to tell, I over research my vacations. This years cruise is costing each of us less than $600 for 8 days. Using a so-called 2 for 1 certificate would have been $3800 plus port charges($62 each port times 2), fuel surcharges ($40 times 2), and tax ($90 times 2)!!!!

Hope this helps you out."

I am going to email the seller right now with a copy of this email and see want she says. I'll let you know.

Update:

I emailed the seller a copy of the email I got from the person in PA. The seller completely avoided my question about the 15.00 registration fee. But replied, "of course you will have to leave a deposit for the cruise, you will have to do this when booking a cruise anywhere." THAT was NOT my question.

So in the meantime, I have contacted the company she got the certificate through, told them she is misrepresenting them as a "contractor" for them, and they were very interested in seeing the auction page. I gave them the link to the page and I have offered to send them hard copies of everything I have so far.

I saw that the seller has a feedback now, so I contacted the buyer of the certificate that left the feedback. They have gotten their certificate where I have not (I wonder why?) They responded to my email as follows

"I have not yet used the certificate. The $15 fee is mentioned on the document I received, but is not mentioned in the auction. As to the price of the cruise ticket, I've no idea as yet, but I have had issues in the past where the price charged and the price listed on the web-site was different and I had to demand a refund. What price were you quoted (vs the web site advertised price) and from whom? I hope this deal isn't going to devolve into some kind of scam...(not involving you but the originator of these certificates, which, according to the auction have no additional fees or "strings"). I have printed a copy of the auction page should I need the text for a dispute, I would suggest your doing the same. Please let me know what you find out, strength in numbers, you know!"

So I guess the emailer from PA knew exactly what they are talking about.

They require you pay the 15.00, then choose 3 different dates, pay full brochure price, leave a deposit, and wait to see if you get on a cruise.

IT IS A SCAM, AND A RIP OFF. (I say) AND IT'S NOT OVER!

But then again we all knew it would be, didn't we!

all I can say if it was like the one I got from Ron Jon's for touring their resort it was buy1 get 1 ....but catch it is book published rate that is way out there that your better get online and pay for both of them

I asked a question to the on ebay and she responded with a link to the bbb link for the distributors of the coupons (see the web site on one of the posts above).

You and I could pay $99.00 and have the ability to print out as many 2 for 1 coupons as we wanted and give them to anyone we want. Also in the rules is the fact that you can sell the coupons for as much as you can get for them.

http://www.vacationgetawayincentives.com/howitworks.php

When the people that have the coupons pay the $15.00 (shipping and handling fee) and then the $50.00 deposit (which they say is refunded 30 days after the trip) they get a form that has a travel agency listed that they contact to book the cruise.

The price you would get is the brochure or list price for the cruise which nobody pays.

It looks good when you see 2 for 1 but you really have to dig to get the whole story!

I asked a question to a seller on ebay and she responded with a link to the bbb link for the distributors of the coupons (see the web site on one of the posts above).

You and I could pay $99.00 and have the ability to print out as many 2 for 1 coupons as we wanted and give them to anyone we want. Also in the rules is the fact that you can sell the coupons for as much as you can get for them.

http://www.vacationgetawayincentives.com/howitworks.php

When the people that have the coupons pay the $15.00 (shipping and handling fee) and then the $50.00 deposit (which they say is refunded 30 days after the trip) they get a form that has a travel agency listed that they contact to book the cruise.

The price you would get is the brochure or list price for the cruise which nobody pays.

It looks good when you see 2 for 1 but you really have to dig to get the whole story!

Once you have all of the documents to prove out 100% for sure it is a scam...I'd strongly consider sending a complaint to the DA where the seller lives as well as various States' Atty General so they can go after and prosecute the seller. Maybe a bit of recourse against the seller that can be noted in public will keep others from trying to pull the same scam.

It is really a shame that people like the ebay seller take advantage of folks who think they are buying something 100% legit.

Is this the same seller??(under another alias??)

EBay

I just spent the last 90 minutes reporting all the 2 for 1 certificates to ebay again. I also wrote to the "new" sellers that they are violating ebay policy and they should stop all their auctions immediately. Of course they won't, but hopefully ebay will. If they are there in the morning, I will report them all again under a different user name.

Archived