Military Discount

medicwifey

I just booked a cruise on Carnival using a military discount, and they said they need a copy of my husbands military id. My husband is deployed and can't make a copy of his ID to send to them, and they are saying they want a copy of his orders and a copy of my ID. Is all that really necessary?? Why won't my ID be enough?

no, he's not in an area where he has internet connection, and I'd have to wait for him to get to an area that has internet connection and a scanner. I faxed them a copy of my ID. I didn't black out the ss#'s though. didn't think about that.

I just booked a cruise on Carnival using a military discount, and they said they need a copy of my husbands military id. My husband is deployed and can't make a copy of his ID to send to them, and they are saying they want a copy of his orders and a copy of my ID. Is all that really necessary?? Why won't my ID be enough?

You aren't the military member and don't qualify for the discount based on your ID. The eligibility is based on the military member, not the family member. Your ID alone won't do it. You should have a copy of his deployment orders for many reasons, this is one of the more minor ones. If you don't have them, contact his unit (you should have points of contact) to see if they can get you a copy.

I discovered the "military discount" thing last year when we booked direct through Carnival. It was something the travel agent never mentioned before. Faxed them my DD214 last year and this year they need it again.

Oh, they found the one I sent last year, that's apparently not the problem.

They just need it again.

Nothing's changed, I separated in '84. They just need it again.:confused:

I'm active duty and I have to send in a copy of my ID card every time I sail. When I asked why, I was told that Carnival uses the information for verification and then destroys it for privacy act reasons. Works for me as it means I don't have that information retained indefinitely.

As far as the DD214, I'm not sure what branch you were in, hill6, but the Navy no longer does a DD214 at reenlistment. DD214's are only done when personnel separate (change was effective in the 90's).

As an aside, www.*****.com is a great spot to scope out the military discounts available for the different cruiselines. I found them before my first cruise and was able to get an interior cabin for a 5 day cruise for $249 pp, double occupancy....my next door neighbors on the cruise were in an interior quad and paid over $500 a person...one of them was retired military and was NOT happy when he found out that a military discount could have saved him $1000 (at least) on that cruise!

I booked while my DH was in Iraq and they accepted a copy of his orders and a copy of his passport. This year they didn't request any verification to book a discount, my TA asked and they said they have his info in the system.

Not sure if he has a passport or not but you could try that option if he does.

Good luck~

If you cannot get the paperwork right away, may I suggest that you request a supervisor to note your situation and allow you a reasonable timeframe to provide it (so you don't lose the discount)?

Someone from his branch of the service at his home base should be able to assist you to provide adequate documentation.

Good Luck!

DeBlonde1

The website mentioned above is very good, just click on Military Discounts on the left side. All is explained with regard to the various lines programs. Carnival's is the broadest ranged, I am a vet and have used the military discount 3 times now on Carnival ships--a DD214 is all that is needed for vets. The last trip in Sep.,07; we got 3 cabins, all on my military discount; using the Friends and Family thingy they do a couple of times a year.

DeBlonde1

The website mentioned above is very good, just click on Military Discounts on the left side. All is explained with regard to the various lines programs. Carnival's is the broadest ranged, I am a vet and have used the military discount 3 times now on Carnival ships--a DD214 is all that is needed for vets. The last trip in Sep.,07; we got 3 cabins, all on my military discount; using the Friends and Family thingy they do a couple of times a year.

Man, if I missed out on 6 discounts, someone is in BIG trouble! I don't know who, but someone! LOL

I thought for veterans it had to be two or more years active duty but this is one of those things I haven't yet been able to find on the carnival web site.

You're correct. Minimum 2 years of honorable service. You can contact Carnival directly for the info. My sister and brother are both vets with less than 10 years of active duty and they both got the discount.

Here's what ***** says:

Azamara offers military discounts to active, reserve and retired members of the U.S. military and the Canadian Forces. Qualifying military personnel must present a photocopy of current military ID at the time of booking.

Carnival offers military discounts to Vacations To Go customers who are active, reserve or retired members, or veterans of the U.S. military. Qualifying military personnel must submit a photocopy of current military ID, retired military ID or discharge papers and a driver's license via fax to Carnival and Vacations To Go at the time of booking. Carnival will charge guests the standard market rate if they do not receive proper documentation within 48 hours of booking.

Celebrity offers military discounts to active, reserve and retired members of the U.S. military and the Canadian Forces. Qualifying military personnel must present a photocopy of current military ID at the time of booking. Holland America offers military discounts to active members of the U.S. military and the Canadian Forces. Qualifying military personnel must present a photocopy of current military ID and a driver's license, at the time of booking.

MSC Cruises offers military discounts to active and retired members of the U.S. military and the Canadian Forces. Qualifying military personnel must present a photocopy of current military ID and a driver's license, at the time of booking. Norwegian offers military discounts to active and retired members of the U.S. military and the Canadian Forces. Qualifying military personnel must present a photocopy of current military ID and a driver's license, at the time of booking.

Princess offers military discounts to members of the U.S. military who are active, reserve, or have served for 20+ years. Qualifying military personnel must present a photocopy of current military ID at the time of booking.

Royal Caribbean offers military discounts to active, reserve and retired members of the U.S. military and the Canadian Forces. Qualifying military personnel must present a photocopy of current military ID at the time of booking.

We're fortunate that my husband and I are both military so we get 2 rooms at the discount rate...which means 2 balcony cabins this year (kids are VERY happy about that!) for our Southern Caribbean cruise. But as JimW pointed out, when they offer Friends and Family you can use one military discount for multiple rooms.

You're correct. Minimum 2 years of honorable service. You can contact Carnival directly for the info. My sister and brother are both vets with less than 10 years of active duty and they both got the discount.

I'm not too worried. I know I can get it with my retiree ID card. I was actually responding to the perosn above who asked if they just had to show a DD214 showing they were in the military at some point.

Plus I really like to know where info is located so I'm still looking for the definitive info on the web site. :)

Archived