Cell Phones

rweddle

Do ships turn off cell service while in port. If so do they turn off the service a few miles before they come into port. I want to use my cell phone only while in port on a Hawaiian cruise and not get charged for international roaming charges.

If your plan covers Hawaii, then you should be able to pick up signals from the islands themselves, without using anything from the ship!

Make sure you're covered for Hawaii--most plans don't consider that the "continental U.S.!)

Do ships turn off cell service while in port. If so do they turn off the service a few miles before they come into port. I want to use my cell phone only while in port on a Hawaiian cruise and not get charged for international roaming charges.

Yes, ships are required to turn of cell service while in/near port - I am not sure how far they have to be from land to turn their cell towers on.

It's not quite a simple as "turning off the service three miles out".

The service provider who installed the towers on the ships has a non-compete agreement with the land-based cell companies. There is something called a "sniffer antenna" installed on the ship. As soon as this special antenna detects cell phone coverage from shore, it automatically turns off the cell tower service on the ship.

Depending on atmospheric conditions, mountain ranges, distance from land, height of the ship, and a few other factors, the ship-based cell service may be turned off anywhere from a few miles to about 10 miles from land.

That is why it is critically important that you look at the screen on your telephone before making that call, to determine who will be charging you for it - and at which rates.

Archived