Do you tip on excursions?

sassafrass

How much?

For instance, the people who conduct day sails are collecting $100+ PP X 6 people on their boat. That's $3,000 per week if they only sail 5 days a week. Isn't that enough?

Alot of times, they're not the owner of the boat. They're providing a service for you and working for someone else. How much? Depends on how much fun I had and how much I've had to drink :o :rolleyes:

In Belize last year on a cave tubing trip (http://www.cave-tubing.com/)

the bus stopped a mile before town on the way back and the guide explained that the driver was going to collect the money for the trip and the guide was going to follow and collect tips. Made you feel that you either tipped or you walked. We tipped. Pretty tacky though.

I always tip but I hate when they make a big deal out of requesting tips. I much prefer to hand them money as I leave or put it in a tip jar if there is one there. One excursion I went on was in the Cayman Islands and they had a dog with a tip jar on his back go from passenger to passenger, they made a big deal about how you should tip if you enjoyed the excursion. I must admit it turns me off but I guess some people don't think to tip unless they mention it.

We tipped our taxi driver in Paradise Island quite a bit because he gave us a running tour commentary all the way back to the ship all didn't jam the van full with more passengers. He actually was the only person not to mention tips. He was a really nice guy and even gave us his card in case we were coming back.

In Costa Maya we booked a bus tour to Chacchoben and at the end the woman tour guide mentioned tipping and then she and the driver were the first ones off the bus and lined up for tips.

Tipping was also mentioned after our St. Thomas Sub ride and after cave tubing in Belize.

The best was in Grand Cayman where our tour van had please tip the driver written on all four inside walls near the roof.

I tipped our guide pretty good in Jamaica ,...then he ASKED for more. :eek:

This reminds me of what happened to us in Jamaica. We did the Dunn's River Falls; once we got out of the water, two guides were holding their hands out expecting a tip. We tipped them, and then we were taken back to where we could get our personal belongings. Suddenly, another guide comes up to us and says that we didn't tip him. We ended up giving him a tip too, but we weren't even sure if he was one of our guides; there were so many guides and groups that day.

We've booked an outside vendor to tour in Ocho Rios. Our tour will be about 5 hrs. and covers DRF, tubing, lunch,and shopping. How much of a tip should we give our tour operator. This is our first time using an outside company and I don't want to insult anyone.

It depends.

1. If they are good and make you welcome and really provide a great excursion for your hard earn $$$.

2. If the campaign for tips on the excursion that turns me the other direction.

How much? Well like I said If its a great excursion I tip between 10 - 20% if

we were happy. We went on a excursion in Alaska where we were whale

watching. He did such a great job we gave him $25 per person. But we felt

he did such a great job and we had the best tour we ever have had.

How much?

For instance, the people who conduct day sails are collecting $100+ PP X 6 people on their boat. That's $3,000 per week if they only sail 5 days a week. Isn't that enough?

:confused:

Why would how much you guess someone earns, be the difference in whether you tip or not???????

Do you think that a sail boat costs nothing to operate? Do you think the crew volunteer their hours? The boat needs no maintenance?? There is overhead. Not all that money goes into their pockets as profit.

AND even if it did....why do some people have to contemplate what others are earning before tipping in the first place?? If they make good money does that mean you won't tip, because you feel what they earn is enough??

People do this with the room stewards and wait staff all the time; try to figure out what their salary is and decide whether to tip or not based on that assumption.

I don't understand why.

My thought is that it is none of my business what someone earns, but if they deserve a tip, they get one.

To the OP:

Yes, we have tipped every tour guide on every cruise on every excursion because as of yet, every excursion we've had has been great. If we had one that was run horribly we wouldn't tip. Personaly I probably tip heavy out of this horrid guilt of feeling a need to make up for cheapskates.

Archived