Bermuda Top 5

CruzMom3

Okay, we are heading to Bermuda in July and I've started reading tour books and trying to figure out what to do on the island when we get there. This message board has been great help to me too. Anyway, I'm getting stressed because I feel like 3 1/2 days isn't going to be enough time. So I'm asking you experienced people for your Top 5 things to do/see in Bermuda. Help me out.

Thanks.

We do it all. Love to swim, shop, sightsee, have a cocktail by the ocean. Just wanted to hear YOUR Top 5 things you like to do in Bermuda. Maybe I will see something I haven't read about yet that I would like to do when we arrive.

We do it all. Love to swim, shop, sightsee, have a cocktail by the ocean. Just wanted to hear YOUR Top 5 things you like to do in Bermuda. Maybe I will see something I haven't read about yet that I would like to do when we arrive.

As early as possible, from Hamilton bus station, get on the number 1 bus. Ring the bell when you go past St Mark's Church. Once off the bus, cross the street and walk downhill. When you get to the junction of Knapton Hill and South Road, you'll be at the west entrance to Spittal Pond Nature Reserve. There are all sorts of paths leading off the main path heading to various areas overlooking the ocean. One has a gigantic checkerboard pattern carved out by rain and seawater, and another to Spanish Rock, where thre's a carving in the rock made by the Spanish in the late 1400s - very good view from here. The main path leads east, when you get to the eastern entrance, turn left on the main road and walk to Harrington Hundreds Grocery Store. Here you can pick up refreshments for children and adults. If you like walking and can handle the heat, it's nearly a mile walk east to John Smith's Bay, overlooking the ocean nearly the entire way. If not, there's a bus stop right across from the grocery store, back onto the number 1 bus to get off at John Smith's. Once you have had enough beach, back onto the bus at the same stop you got off at, but it has to be going to Grotto Bay or St georges. This time you'll be getting off at Crystal Caves. After the caves, walk around to Swizzle Inn to get lunch. Lunch in this case is a euphamism for rum swizzles. When you've filled up with lunch, get on any St Georges bus. There's shopping in St Georges on Water Street, but I would hop the blue mini-bus from the Town Square first and check out Ft St Catherine, then go shopping. Once you are done, jump on the ferry in St Georges and head to Dockyard. Obviously this itinerary can be reversed if your ship is in St Georges, in which case you'll be catching the ferry from Hamilton back to St Georges.

Hi CruzMom3,

My TOP 5's in Bermuda are the following:

1) Take a boat trip (glass bottom, sunset, etc.) or rent your own motorboat. Check with your Shore Excursion Office onboard.

2) Swim with the Dolphins for an unforgettable dolphin encounter. (http://dolphinquest.org/destinations/bermuda/index.php?aID=1z1)

3) Visit the Snorkel Park for amazing snorkeling and cocktails on the beach. (www.snorkelpark.com)

4) Go horseback riding on Southshore with Spicelands Riding Center. (www.spicelandsriding.com)

5) Take the public ferry to Hamilton (scenic ride!) for shopping. There is some shopping at the Royal Naval Dockyard (Kings Wharf) but I have found more choices in Hamilton.

Have a great trip to Bermuda! :)

Okay, we are heading to Bermuda in July and I've started reading tour books and trying to figure out what to do on the island when we get there. This message board has been great help to me too. Anyway, I'm getting stressed because I feel like 3 1/2 days isn't going to be enough time. So I'm asking you experienced people for your Top 5 things to do/see in Bermuda. Help me out.

Thanks.

My top things not in order are Horseshoe Bay, which is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world; St. George, visiting and walking around this historic city; the Swizzle Inn, do the John Smiths Bay or the Crystal caves and then stop by the Swizzle Inn ; a taxi tour of the island. Visiting Hamilton.

Hi CruzMom3,

My TOP 5's in Bermuda are the following:

1) Take a boat trip (glass bottom, sunset, etc.) or rent your own motorboat. Check with your Shore Excursion Office onboard.

2) Swim with the Dolphins for an unforgettable dolphin encounter. (http://dolphinquest.org/destinations/bermuda/index.php?aID=1z1)

3) Visit the Snorkel Park for amazing snorkeling and cocktails on the beach. (www.snorkelpark.com)

4) Go horseback riding on Southshore with Spicelands Riding Center. (www.spicelandsriding.com)

5) Take the public ferry to Hamilton (scenic ride!) for shopping. There is some shopping at the Royal Naval Dockyard (Kings Wharf) but I have found more choices in Hamilton.

Have a great trip to Bermuda! :)

A glass bottom boat can be done anywhere and the Snorkel Park is ugly.

If one wants to take a boat ride or see fish, take a ride or snorkel with Jesse James or Restless Catamaran. Also there is Hartleys Helmet dive instead of the above.

The Dolphin swim is really bad. They pen wild dolphins in a small enclosure to grub money from tourists.

Thanks for the suggestions. I love hearing everybody's favorites. Anyone been scuba diving? How's the water? Is it clear? We went to St. Lucia years ago and I was surprised that the water wasn't clearer. However, Cozumel and Grand Cayman's water was unbelievable. I've never seen water that clear. Pictures I've seen the water looks amazing.

A glass bottom boat can be done anywhere and the Snorkel Park is ugly.

Snorkel Park is one of my favourite places to hang out, I, along with thousands of others think it's beautiful. As for the snorkelling, it's far from the best we have to offer. The really good thing about snorkelling at Snorkel Park is anyone who might be intimidated by deep water, or getting in the water far from the shore or don't have the money to go on a snorkel boat trip can come here and have a really good time and come away with a great experience. I worked on tour boats for a few years and I lost count of scaredy cats who spent $45 to come out snorkelling only to chicken out for whatever reason, when a place like Snorkel Park definitely would have given them an experience to last a lifetime. No it isn't the best snorkelling around, but it is by no means ugly. It serves a very useful purpose and it serves it very well. As for glassbottom boats, yes they can be done anywhere, but here isn't anywhere and there isn't anywhere like here so it is safe to say a glassbottom boat trip here will be like no other anywhere else. There's a lot more to a glassbottom boat trip here than looking through the glass bottom. Trust me, I worked on a glassbottom boat for a while and have been on glassbottom boat trips elsewhere as well.

BDA Guy - We're trying to decide whether to spend $70 pp to do a glassbottom boat tour of some shipwrecks and then some snorkeling or to just go to Snorkle Park, spend 1/2 that pp for snorkel equipment and just enjoy the day. We're a group of six, I am the only one who has experience snorkeling and dh is afraid of deep water. I thought the glass bottom boat might be good for him but then Snorkel Park looks like a great place to learn to snorkel and just lay back and enjoy the beach. Do you have to go into water over your head to see some great fish or coral at Snorkel Park? What's your opinion on these two options?

Love your posts! It is so great to get some true insight from a resident.

Thanks!

BDA Guy - We're trying to decide whether to spend $70 pp to do a glassbottom boat tour of some shipwrecks and then some snorkeling or to just go to Snorkle Park, spend 1/2 that pp for snorkel equipment and just enjoy the day. We're a group of six, I am the only one who has experience snorkeling and dh is afraid of deep water. I thought the glass bottom boat might be good for him but then Snorkel Park looks like a great place to learn to snorkel and just lay back and enjoy the beach. Do you have to go into water over your head to see some great fish or coral at Snorkel Park? What's your opinion on these two options?

Love your posts! It is so great to get some true insight from a resident.

Thanks!

DH should probably stick to SP. You, on the other hand should go on the boat trip, take along anyone who is a confident swimmer. Don't get me wrong-these offshore snorkel trips aren't just for Navy SEALs, I've seen lots of first time snorkellers do it and love it, but if someone already knows they'll be afraid and therefore unable to participate, they should save their time and dough and go to SP. Put it this way-if you can simultaneously walk, chew gum and safely cross the street heading for the deep end of the pool at the Y, you should be fine.

Snorkel Park is one of my favourite places to hang out, I, along with thousands of others think it's beautiful. As for the snorkelling, it's far from the best we have to offer. The really good thing about snorkelling at Snorkel Park is anyone who might be intimidated by deep water, or getting in the water far from the shore or don't have the money to go on a snorkel boat trip can come here and have a really good time and come away with a great experience. I worked on tour boats for a few years and I lost count of scaredy cats who spent $45 to come out snorkelling only to chicken out for whatever reason, when a place like Snorkel Park definitely would have given them an experience to last a lifetime. No it isn't the best snorkelling around, but it is by no means ugly. It serves a very useful purpose and it serves it very well. As for glassbottom boats, yes they can be done anywhere, but here isn't anywhere and there isn't anywhere like here so it is safe to say a glassbottom boat trip here will be like no other anywhere else. There's a lot more to a glassbottom boat trip here than looking through the glass bottom. Trust me, I worked on a glassbottom boat for a while and have been on glassbottom boat trips elsewhere as well.

To each their own. To me the Snorkel Park is anything but beautiful. Anyone who can afford to go to Bermuda should be able to afford to go on a snorkel boat. I don't think money is a major concern. I do agree that the Snorkel Park would be good for beginners although I think you exaggerate people going on boats and chickening out. It would also be good if one has toddlers. Other than that I would pass on the place as a beach. The other aspect as an entertainment venue at night is another matter. I could see hanging out there for that.

I have been on many snorkel boat trips and never saw much of that. Glassbottom boat trips, I guess are good for non swimmers. Nothing like getting in the water though. What do you do besides look through the glassbottom? That is all we did on the one I did in Grand Cayaman.

I think you exaggerate people going on boats and chickening out. It would also be good if one has toddlers. Other than that I would pass on the place as a beach.

My DH and I would have certainly chickened out our first time to snorkel if it had been in the open water, and we're both good swimmers. Money was not a major concern but it would have been a waste of $102. One poster even said their dh was afraid of deep water so I can see them chickening out.

As for the snorkelling, it's far from the best we have to offer. The really good thing about snorkelling at Snorkel Park is anyone who might be intimidated by deep water, or getting in the water far from the shore or don't have the money to go on a snorkel boat trip can come here and have a really good time and come away with a great experience. I worked on tour boats for a few years and I lost count of scaredy cats who spent $45 to come out snorkelling only to chicken out for whatever reason, when a place like Snorkel Park definitely would have given them an experience to last a lifetime. No it isn't the best snorkelling around, but it is by no means ugly. It serves a very useful purpose and it serves it very well.

This is spot on. At least for me. I am a marginal swimmer at best, and I might get hit by lightning for even saying "I am" and "swimmer" in the same sentence... I cruised to Bermuda by myself on Grandeur in August, and Snorkel Park served me well in several regards. First, I could walk there, and did not have to take anything with me other than my mask, snorkel, seapass card and drivers license. Since I was by myself, there was nobody to watch the stuff that I would have had to take if I went elsewhere. Second, yes, the shallow water was a comfort! There were a few places that I couldn't touch bottom, but I could always at least see a shallow area nearby. I'm sure there is better snorkeling in Bermuda, but I saw lots of cool and colorful fish, some much bigger than I expected, and yes, I even think it is a memory that will last a very long time.

Theron

take if I went elsewhere. Second, yes, the shallow water was a comfort! There were a few places that I couldn't touch bottom, but I could always at least see a shallow area nearby. I'm sure there is better snorkeling in Bermuda, but I saw lots of cool and colorful fish, some much bigger than I expected, and yes, I even think it is a memory that will last a very long time.

Theron

Just remember you can still drown in shallow water. And there can be dangerous currents when swimming or snorkeling off of a beach. Make sure you have a vest.

Anyone who can afford to go to Bermuda should be able to afford to go on a snorkel boat..... I think you exaggerate people going on boats and chickening out.....What do you do besides look through the glassbottom? That is all we did on the one I did in Grand Cayaman.

Well Charles, maybe money isn't a problem in your household, but "ve met hundreds of people who had saved for YEARS to come to Bermuda for a week and it's a shame when they waste $70 and four hours of their very hard earned vacation.

One thing I don't do is exaggerate anything on here. I am here to give you all accurate and current information, most of which I have gathered through being born and raised here. I've done everything I recommend on here so the advice is firsthand. How many snorkel trips have you been on in Bermuda? I've been on THOUSANDS, most of which were sold out at the legal maximum of 40 people. At least one person per week would decide to either not get into the water, or get out early. That was on my boat, which is one out of a fleet of maybe four or five at the time. The math says that's about 120 people per season wasting 480 hours of precious time and about 8,400 hard earned dollars at $70 per trip.

I'm sorry your Grand Cayman glassbottom boat trip consisted only of looking through the glassbottom. Here in Bermuda when you board in Hamilton, the captain gives a live commentary on Bermuda's history, people and the sights you are seeing. It isn't just a trip, it's a tour through the islands just to the south of Two Rock Passage and across the Great Sound to Mangrove Bay and more, all before you look through the glassbottom. Usually the captain takes a different route back to Hamilton so you see new stuff most of the way.

Just remember you can still drown in shallow water. And there can be dangerous currents when swimming or snorkeling off of a beach. Make sure you have a vest.

You are certainly correct, and I did have a vest... wore it as I walked, so I didn't remember it as something I had to carry! :)

Theron

bdaguy,

DH and I are coming to Bermuda in June. Our ship will be there from 8-5. Any suggestions on what to do? We both love to snorkel and are experienced swimmers. We have enjoyed taking independent snorkel trips in the past, so that is one area we might like a recommendation. We are also open to other ideas as well. We are 35 and fairly active. Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm sorry your Grand Cayman glassbottom boat trip consisted only of looking through the glassbottom. Here in Bermuda when you board in Hamilton, the captain gives a live commentary on Bermuda's history, people and the sights you are seeing. It isn't just a trip, it's a tour through the islands just to the south of Two Rock Passage and across the Great Sound to Mangrove Bay and more, all before you look through the glassbottom. Usually the captain takes a different route back to Hamilton so you see new stuff most of the way.

That's exactly how the one we went on was, a great tour and information about the culture, history, people, etc. And, as it was dark on the trip back, an informative talk about the constellations and stars above us. Oh, and there were those great complimentary Rum Swizzles and Dark 'N' Stormys!

Here in Bermuda when you board in Hamilton, the captain gives a live commentary on Bermuda's history, people and the sights you are seeing. It isn't just a trip, it's a tour through the islands just to the south of Two Rock Passage and across the Great Sound to Mangrove Bay and more, all before you look through the glassbottom. Usually the captain takes a different route back to Hamilton so you see new stuff most of the way.

That sounds wonderful! Can you recommend some websites or other information on this tour We will be docked for 3 1/2 days in St Georges in May and should have plenty of time for a tour like this.

Thanks!

Archived