help with honolulu plans

kimcht

Hi everybody. less than three weeks to our cruise on the wind!!! anyways just got our air itinerary and our plane doesnt leave till 4pm, ship gets in at 7am, not sure what time we are really off the ship. Tried to book an excursion for diamonhead through NCL but its booked up allready. Any suggestions for what we can do? I guess we'll have to lug our stuff with us, which is why I tried to book something through NCL. Don't suppose they would just take it to the airport for us since they booked the air and we could take a taxi somewhere? or a quick diamonhead tour, though tough to book with another company since I dont know what time we will disembark. We will do pearl harbor before we go. I guess we could just sit with our suitcases on the beach???? Any suggestions? Thanks, Kim

I'm guessing probably an hour to an hour and a half before you get off the ship. No beach in the immediate vicinity, but the Hawaii Maritime Museum is close by and Chinatown is a short walk. A little further but still walkable is the Iolani Palace and State Capitol. With a flight time of 4 pm, you should be at the airport around 2 pm, so you don't really have a lot of time. It's possible they won't take you to the airport until closer to 2 pm. Hope someone who has done this will chime in since this question of what to do on disembarkation comes up a lot.

The cruise line may have an area where you can store your luggage until you return to go to the airport. Check with them.

Diamond Head is a great hike, which affords awesome views of Waikiki and Honolulu. The hike alone will take you about 1 1/2 hrs, plus travel time to and from, so allow for that. As mentioned, Chinatown is very close to the pier, and has a nice walking tour, with many places to stop for lunch. Aloha Tower Marketplace is right next to the pier, and has many "made in Hawaii" shops where you can purchase souvenirs if you wish.

If you have a late flight, typically you will be the last off the ship, as they disembark according to flight times.

Becki

You are pretty close to Ala Moana beach park here if you want a place to swim or snorkel. The Ala Moana mall also has a good food court for lunch. If you want elegant, take a cab or the Bus to Waikiki and have lunch on the terrace at the Royal Hawaiian...the best view of Waikiki and Diamond Head in the city.

thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately I've given up trying to contact NCL, I don't have that much time to be on hold. I'll take your suggestions with me and ask them once I get on the ship. does anyone know for sure if NCL will hold our luggage if we just do a little walking to the nearby places? Thanks, Kim

Are there any advantages to taking a cruise tour to Pearl Harbor? Do you avoid lines? It will be our first time there and I would hate to spend a lot of time on lines as our ship, the Island Princess, is only there for one day. Thanks

Pearl Harbor,

When we went to Pearl Harbor on our own (pre-cruise day), when the tours came, they stood in line with us. It did seem the line went quicker than I expected. My only advice is to get there early.

What happens is you get in line to enter. As you pass the gate you get a ticket for a time to see a short film presentation and then board the boat that takes you to the memorial over the sunken ship. Inbetween the time you enter and your ticket time is when you can look at the rest of the museum. No charge.

You only stay at the memorial a short time (15 minutes or so), but that is enough time. It is a very somber place (no hooping and hollering) and I didn't realize just how emotional it would be for me (I'm in my early 40s).

I would think it would take you 3 hours or so. We were told that visitors increased dramatically (like 200%) after the movie Pearl Harbor came out.

We loved Oahu. You have the city when you want it, and the beautiful coastline and Northshore.

Enjoy your stay!

Kathy

Norwegian Star

October 2002

• 1 month later...

All,

I am in the same boat but my flight does not leave honolulu until 9:30pm. Are there any hotels that have a day rate so we could store our luggage and shower before going to the airport. We are thinking about spending the day at the beach.

Kathy

A while back, someone made what I thought was an outstanding suggestion when in a situation like yours. Just rent a car for the day. They are fairly cheap, you'll have freedom of movement, and a place to store your luggage. Go to Lanakai beach. Then, return the car, and you're ready to fly out

I don't disagree with the last poster. Renting a car could be fun. But don't leave anything valuable in it if it will be out of your sight for more than one minute. Luggage, cameras, wallets, etc. could be taken. I wouldn't leave all that stuff in my car at the mall in your hometown, and I certainly wouldn't anywhere remotely touristy here in Honolulu. What I usually do if I just have a bag of gym clothes or whatever is leave my car doors unlocked. At least if someone takes them they won't leave me a broken window. Please don't think I am trying to scare you. Honolulu is a wonderful place to live and visit, but you have to be careful because there are sometimes thieves even in Paradise. Better safe than sorry. Enjoy!

Archived