Veendam opinions needed

ugminer

Hi, I am considering a 14 day to AK on this ship. I have only cruised the Oosterdam to this point. Would some of you veterans give me a few pros and cons about her? I know she carries a lot less passengers than what I've been accustomed to but thats about all. The price is right , just kind of wondering how the ship itself stacks up. Thanks Deb

I have a total of 30 days on the Veendam.....she is a great ship, the perfect size. I also have cruised the Oosterdam and felt the Oosterdam was too big, more like a hotel, with too many passangers and not enough personal service...I prefer the Veendam, and I think you'll like her too...Jer the Bear:)

We loved the Veendam ... it's the perfect size. And the service on her was the best we've ever experienced on HAL. We don't really like the Vista class HAL ships.

If you've never sailed on one of HAL's smaller ships, give it a try. It's a bit older so if a newer feel is important to you, then think twice. The layout is great ... big enough but not too big. You can get from bow to stern in so much less time so you really get an opportunity to enjoy the whole ship.

I would think that especially for an Alaskan cruise, the Veendam would be ideal.

We went on our first cruise on the Veendam in 2005. We loved it so much, we booked again for this year! I love the ship! We cruised on the Zuiderdam last year, and it was a bit bigger, the decor was not as nice. The Atrium in the Veendam is spectactular! We had a much better time on the smaller ship. The pool on the Aft deck is for adults only, and they pretty much stick to that rule. We met really nice people on that cruise as well. I think you should go for it. They say you always love the first ship you sail on , and if that is true, I am in love with the Veendam!:rolleyes:

We loved the Veendam ... it's the perfect size. And the service on her was the best we've ever experienced on HAL. We don't really like the Vista class HAL ships.

If you've never sailed on one of HAL's smaller ships, give it a try. It's a bit older so if a newer feel is important to you, then think twice. The layout is great ... big enough but not too big. You can get from bow to stern in so much less time so you really get an opportunity to enjoy the whole ship.

I would think that especially for an Alaskan cruise, the Veendam would be ideal.

Totally Agree!!

While you will find the Veendam smaller and more intimate than the Oosterdam, I think its a ship you will enjoy. Its been a while since I have sailed the Veendam, but I will board her again Sunday for 14 glorious days. I'll do a review when I return.

Hi ugminer:

I see that you are from Northern Nevada as are DH and I!

I was on the Veendam in October and it is a very nice ship. DH had to miss that cruise so it was a solo one for me. They took very good care of me and I loved the decor. I Have been on the Oosterdam twice so feel I have a good idea of both. DH and I are doing a 14 day Alaska cruise on the Veendam the end of May and cannot wait. I really like tthe size and layout of the ship and the fewer passengers make it more intimate. We have done Alaska several times and look forward to being able to see our favorite ports again.

We went on our first cruise on the Veendam in 2005. We loved it so much, we booked again for this year! I love the ship! We cruised on the Zuiderdam last year, and it was a bit bigger, the decor was not as nice. The Atrium in the Veendam is spectactular! We had a much better time on the smaller ship. The pool on the Aft deck is for adults only, and they pretty much stick to that rule. We met really nice people on that cruise as well. I think you should go for it. They say you always love the first ship you sail on , and if that is true, I am in love with the Veendam!:rolleyes:

We feel the same way...I was surprised at how much affection we felt toward the Veendam and how happy we were to walk past the mega-ships and board her! I wouldn't want to sail on a larger ship. The Veendam never felt crowded, and there were ample pleasant public spaces to enjoy.

Archived