Mistake?

14 Days or Longer

We are avid cruisers. We have sailed some 36 cruises on what we consider the best to the not so great. We really haven't had a bad time on any of them.Oh the food wasn't always great and sometimes we wondered if the ship would stand the punishment of the sea ,add to that cranky staff and other trivial happenings and that about sums it up. We have read the postings on this board and wonder if we have managed to really pick a stinker this time.

We selected this cruise based on the rates and the fact it will give us a chance to visit friends in Europe before and during the cruise. The ship looks great and we do speak French and German(Our Italian however is limited). We have experienced the Italian way doing things and find it amusing at times and down right rude at others,but always done with a big smile and a somewhat seductive look. SO the question of the day is.....will we and our friends enjoy the cruise?

We think we will and have some doubts about other members in our group.

I guess we just need to hear some good points about MSC before we pay that final deposit!

We haven't sailed on MSC before, however, after reading the mixed reviews, decided MSC Lirica's 18 day repositioning cruise from Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale would suit us fine.

We were attracted to its unique itinerary and good mixture of sea and port days.

Being an Italian ship, with an international crew, only adds to its allure. In addition, we are impressed with its 100% cleanliness rating.

We are looking forward to meeting the interesting people this type of cruise attracts.

We did the MSC Opera last March for an 11 day S Carib. and really loved it. I am now booking the Orchestra for a Carib. cruise in Jan. 09. I have done about 18 cruises and for me the Opera was my favorite. You will have a wonderful time. It's not Carnival, RCI or HAL - much more exciting.:cool: :cool: :cool:

Just back from Lirica E Caribbean. My 3rd cruise but my tablemates had quite a bit of experience. We all could point to a couple of clunkers but we all had the attitude, like you, that little things shouldn't obscure the big. We all felt that it measured up well to other lines in terms of service, food and entertainment, particularly so in terms of value for price. Our Celebrity/Princess fans still preferred their favorites, but stated that they were having a good time on MSC. It's my favorite cruise so far.

OP: you don't state which itinerary or ship you are referring to.

I think if you look hard you'll notice that a lot of the negative reviews come from the same very few people. Some sound like horror stories, and I am not minimizing them, but others........

I'll let you know how my cruise goes!

• 1 year later...

You have to beware of rate exchange fees. You think you are paying in US dollars but when they turn your bill in to your credit card company, MSC asks for Euros which will result in a hefty rate exchange fee. Very unfair to non Europeans. Don't let the name MSC cruise USA fool you.

We cruised the Meditteranen on Musica in Sept followed by Opera into the Black Sea in Oct. Having cruised NCL & Discovery in the past we had no complaints at all. OK, it was not the QE2 but we did not pay that price so did not expect gourmet meals. The food was very tasty, well prepared and hot so what more can you want. With 7 courses you would be hard pressed not to find anything you liked. If there was a dish anyone on our table of 8 was not happy with they were offered another choice with no hassle but really that only happened a couple of times in 3 weeks. We found all the staff friendly, happy and more than helpful apart from a couple on the accounts desk on Opera but that was only for a brief time as we had no need to revisit them. The ship is spotlessly clean and the beds and cabins very comfortable. I look forward to cruising with them again but must admit I was like you at first and a little worried prior to leaving after reading the negative remarks. Perhaps those people were unlucky or ultra fussy, who knows but we went with the view we were going to have a wonderful time and we certainly achieved that.

Please enjoy your cruise and don't let your holiday be spoilt by worrying about it.

Cheers, Misty

We found the wine packages much cheaper than other lines.

We found the pre-paid beer coupons a real bargain (must be purchased in advance - 14 days I believe).

The entertainment, although very different than what is typical cruise stuff, was top notch.

Pastas and pizzas were out of this world.

People watching was fab!

Go with an open mind and enjoy your trip.

I might point out that the OP posted this thread almost two years ago. I would suspect she's already sailed by now...lol

A valid observation, yet MSC is entering the Caribbean market with gusto, and changes are constant within the cruise industry. No doubt many of this forums active participants have booked, sailed, or are now considering MSC.

I appreciate the responses, and observations of other cruisers as it relates to our upcoming Poesia cruise.

You have to beware of rate exchange fees. You think you are paying in US dollars but when they turn your bill in to your credit card company, MSC asks for Euros which will result in a hefty rate exchange fee. Very unfair to non Europeans. Don't let the name MSC cruise USA fool you.

Hi Catania

Did this happen on a European cruise or somewhere else where the onboard currency was Euros? I've been on 3 cruises where the onboard currency was US dollars and that was the currency they billed to my credit card. Not that it mattered greatly as I'm from the Uk and always have currency conversion costs to deal with. However had they ever convereted from dollars to euros and then my credit card company to sterling - I'd have had a double whammy of conversion costs

Archived