Adios, Fidel... hello Havana???

*Mach*

We have been to Cuba twice now. It’s really easy to get there. You just fly into one of many places like Cancun or Mexico City for example and take a flight from there (about $230.00 round trip). You still need to have a passport to fly there, but once you arrive you can decide if you want your passport stamped or not(not a good idea as the US doesn’t exactly agree with you traveling there). We were given another paper to carry with us along with our passport that was surrendered when we departed the country.

You will find lots of Americans there on vacation(many more than we expected to find) as well as from all over the world. Once you are there, it’s very reasonable as far as food and lodging. And if you like hand made crafts, one can find lots of bargains. Lots to see as it is a beautiful clean Island

We have been to Cuba twice now. It’s really easy to get there. You just fly into one of many places like Cancun or Mexico City for example and take a flight from there (about $230.00 round trip). You still need to have a passport to fly there, but once you arrive you can decide if you want your passport stamped or not(not a good idea as the US doesn’t exactly agree with you traveling there). We were given another paper to carry with us along with our passport that was surrendered when we departed the country.

You will find lots of Americans there on vacation(many more than we expected to find) as well as from all over the world. Once you are there, it’s very reasonable as far as food and lodging. And if you like hand made crafts, one can find lots of bargains. Lots to see as it is a beautiful clean Island

My boss went for business and he said it is beautiful; as if time stopped there. He was uneasy that Fidel would croak while he was there and it would be impossible to get out. I can't imagine a place with no hustle and bustle with everyone chasing the almighty $$. He had to get certain papers to go and have meeting with the Cuban government about them buying our products. They kept him very busy and he didn't get to explore much and they were very suspicious of anyone who had their own agenda and didn't stay right with the group. He wasn't supposed to buy anything either. He was glad that he experienced but really really glad to come home.

It would be great for Carnival if Cuba was to open again. A lot of people would want to go and think of the fuel Carnival would save. Cuba is close. Its a win win for Carnival and other cruise lines

Cuba was closed?:p

Wonder if Cuban beer is any good?

What you have done is against US Law. You found a way to break the law of the United States. It's not something that I would advertise. It's also against the law to encourage others to violate US law. If you think this is comparable to sneaking a six pack of Sam Adams onto a Carnival ship, then you're mistaken.

Travel to Cuba

Summary

U.S. citizens and residents must be licensed by the U.S. Department of Treasury in order to travel to Cuba. On January 5, 1999, an expansion of people-to-people contacts and direct passenger flights to Cuba was announced in order to facilitate travel of licensed persons from the U.S. to Cuba. However, travel to Cuba is restricted and only select categories of travelers are licensable. Tourist travel is not possible under U.S. law. Business-related travel is restricted to persons engaging in or arranging for permitted export sales, such as the sale of medicines or medical equipment, or for food or agricultural goods to non-governmental entities.

Could well be and I expect that you're probably right. Personally, I'm hoping that folks who love to travel might bring some pressure to bear on their lawmakers.

The only real downside that I can see would be the lack of infrastructure in Cuba. I know that Carnival and other cruise lines have invested many millions of dollars in ports around the world. I wonder if they'd we willing to make the same investment in Cuba... ???

Cuba’s infrastructure may not be as crumbling as some may have you believe. As someone else mentioned, there are plenty of high end resorts in Cuba whose parent companies are Spanish, Brazilian, German etc. From what I understand, Norway is a major investor in Cuba, Cuba has oil don’t you know. The roads and highways are pretty good compared to some I’ve been on in other Caribbean countries. When I was in Havana a couple of years ago, it was receiving a major facelift, there was scaffolding everywhere!!

...I can't imagine a place with no hustle and bustle with everyone chasing the almighty $$. ....

Cuba has hustle and bustle, check out my websot pics from the Tryp Peninsula 2006, I’ve included pics from our visit to Havana. While Cuba may present an idyllic picture, it’s always in the back of my mind that Cuban people lack the very basic freedoms we enjoy in North America. They may not appear to be chasing the almighty $$ but that’s only because most are struggling to maintain a very basic standard of living.

Yes they receive free post secondary education and medical treatment but professionals in Cuba make less then the housekeepers at the resorts. Jobs in the tourism industry are highly sought after in Cuba, some of these young people speak 3 and 4 languages. Some say they find the Cuban people more "stand-offish" then other people they meet in the Caribbean. That’s most likely because they have to be careful of what they say and who they say it to. These are the things that I hope change very soon!

Hmmm...looks like communist Corona!!:cool: :p

Instigator :p

Ya know...I'd sure like to be able to buy some cigars but not sure I have too much interest in vactioning there. Gitmo wasn't a very pretty place.:cool:

Having been stationed at Gitmo many, many years ago, and having a job of flying the perimeter of the base for security, I'd dearly love to go back to Cuba,,,,as a tourist. I doubt, as others have speculated above, that the demise of Castro will change much down there. I think that cruising into Cuba would be OUTSTANDING!

Ken

"SkyMaster"

Mydeareast uncle was stationed there as well. He was in the Navy. My aunt and cousins lived there. I have some old base cookbooks my Aunt gave me. They were all evacuated during the missile crisis. I hear the beaches are amazing.

No beer at Club Gitmo?:confused:

I guess no Cuba Libré either.:mad:

Not for the "guests" :p

Nope.

Quite right.....it is only to be referred to as "boiled hopped malted barley soda" from now on.

I'd like to hear you say that 5 times really fast after 1/2 doz or so your your BHMB sodas :p

_39892477_cuba-071.jpg

Archived