Adios, Fidel... hello Havana???

*Mach*

Let's not leave out the all-important "fermented";)

The omission was intentional on my part.:cool: I considered including "fermented" but felt "soda" well-covered fermentation and didn't want to be redundant.:D

I guess you could say I'm no repete.;)

We may need a few folks to die off over here as well. The problem is they would not be bullied or bribed,and the big kid on the block took his ball and went home.They quickly forgot the dictatorship(Batista) that caused empty handed peasants to charge down the guns.Put a U.S. embargo on any Caribbean country and they will suffer worse than the poor Cubans.Remember it was tourists and Levi's that caused the U.S.S.R. to collapse not the military or postering. Still the collapse was not in our best interest .

Well, It is true that Fidel was Mother Therese compared to Batista. Batista had a house in my town (well, I wasn't living there then) and when he left Cuba, the US refused to give him safe harbor and allow him to live there, even though we had propped him up (for our own selfish reasons, as always) Spain finally agreed to take him. AFAIK, I think he died there. Batista was much more brutal than Fidelito. His biggest mistake (if he wanted to keep his regime) was letting Fidel live when he had him in prison after the first failed "revolution"

As long as the Castro family and their flunkies are in control, I don't see the embargo being lifted and it shouldn't. Cuba is a communist country in name only. It is a brutal dictatorship.

Well, I think you are dead wrong in many ways. Raul is not the same as Fidel. Raul wants Cuba to grow. He has made contacts with midwestern farming concerns already, amongst others. Many of the legislators (republicans!) from the midwest farm states are highly interested with normalized relations with Cuba, and opening trade. We turned a blind eye to the excesses and dictatorship of Communist China, because of our greed for opening up trade. I always said that Cuba (and Castro) was a toothless dog. I'm not even sure what possible purpose the embargo could embody at this juncture. Castro HAS done some good things for the people of Cuba. Before the revolution, only the rich, and only those along the coast near Havana had any access to medical care or schooling. There was simply no possibility of either in the hills. Cuba has something like a 98% literacy rate (although I read different figures in the CIA factbook,though it is still very high)

I came very close to being able to visit Cuba six years ago. My agency had a license. It was an educational license run through the State Community colleges. (We also ran the other travel programs for them) I had to choose between my 30th High School Reunion in Daytona Beach Florida (Batista's house was in South Daytona, BTW, and used to house the Cuban American museum) or the Cuba trip. This was to be our last Cuba trip, as shortly thereafter, Bush tightened the rules, Castro changed rules for foreigners visiting in response, and we did not renew our Treasury license. I have many friends who have found ways to visit, though sadly, they, too, have had to stop. One of them ran the last Cuba Regatta. They slept and ate on board their own sailboats, therefore were not in violation of the treasury rules (we are not prohibited from going there, only spending money there, which, for most people, is the same thing.) Treasury claimed that the berthing they were given by the Havana Yacht Club for free was actually bartered and in violation. They threatened my friend with hefty fines and the loss of his boat. Sadly, that was to be his last trip for a while though he had done quite a few, as day (or overnight) sails. He would check in with Immigration and customs in Key West (just 90 miles from Cuba) They knew him, and never had a problem. He has also gone there delivering clothing and medicines gathered by the B'nai Brith org of St Pete, that his Mother was involved in. All was above board. I have other friends who have done emergency work for the Red Cross over the years. They live up in Satsuma, Fl. They too, have been.

I was lucky enough to get to see Celia Cruz, Tito Puente and Ibrahim Ferrar, all, before they died. (Ibrahim Ferrar at our local state University- This was before Bush refused him a Visa to come get his Grammy award) Of course, Celia and Tito lived in the US. Ibrahim Ferrar stayed in Cuba and was part of Ry Cooder's Buena Vista Social Club.

Yes, I am somewhat of a Cubaphile. It has always been my dream. I'd like to be on the first ship sailing in there legally form the US (Yes, I know Fred Olsen goes there. Believe me, I've looked at it!)

The Cuban people love us. They welcome us. And if you want to break down the barriers, let us go there. Instead of "supposedly" propping up a regime that needs hard money (the US dollar? today? We're the ones who need hard currency, it seems! <LOL>) we would more than likely be encouraging democracy to happen from the ground up. When Cuba is open to us, and our way of life, Cubans will demand more from their government. IMHO (and I'm not in the State Department, just an average person with some knowledge of Cuba) we could do more to end the Communist way of life in Cuba by lifting the embargo.

And BTW, Don't believe everything the our government wants you to believe about Cuba. They have a thriving tourism business going on, including areas of eco-tourism, with laws about the height of new hotels so as to not become another Zona Hoteleria like in Cancun or another Miami, where your best view of the beach is by postcard. They are trying to do things right.

My point? I want to get there before we have a chance to get in there like we have every other beautiful Caribbean country and ruin it with cookie cutter Diamonds Internationals, Columbian Emeralds and Tanzanite International (found in only one mine in the universe, gonna run out any day now!) and before we have a chance to put an ugly McDonalds on the Malecon. Trust me. given the chance, we will ruin its quaint charms and try to make it into something "comfortable" for American tourists. No more Ropa Vieja (Old clothes or old rags- a wonderful tasting meat dish) or any of the other Cuban specialties I have loved. And wouldn't you just love to see those 1955 Chevies and Fords that they have lovingly made their own parts to keep going. My friend has tons of pictures of them, and some of the beautiful areas around the country. Not all is as bad as some want you to believe. (Although, yes, I admit, there are still a lot of things which need very much improvement, and still a lot of poverty- Just like there is on EVERY Caribbean island we visit, including Grand Cayman. Try going down to Boddentown next time you are in GC, if you don't believe me)

Sorry to be so long. I don't post much any more. Hardly log on anymore. But couldn't resist posting on one of my most favorite subjects.

(BTW, grew up in Ormond Beach Florida. My Pediatrician was Cuban along with so many more in the area, and where I live now, in Connecticut has a large Cuban population. I also visit Key West Yearly, and used to go to St Pete, Ybor city, etc a lot)

Karie

Could well be and I expect that you're probably right. Personally, I'm hoping that folks who love to travel might bring some pressure to bear on their lawmakers.

The only real downside that I can see would be the lack of infrastructure in Cuba. I know that Carnival and other cruise lines have invested many millions of dollars in ports around the world. I wonder if they'd we willing to make the same investment in Cuba... ???

First off....If the millions of Cubans living in the US can't get the government to bring pressure...the tourist certianly won't.....

The infrastructure is pretty good there. Many European countries are heavily invested in Cuba. It is one of the hot European destinations. Also many Canadians go there....;)

I'm not sure if Cuba will become a port of call anytime soon, but I'd like to see it with my own eyes. However, I would want it to be an adults only vacation so my DH And I could go explore outside of the touristy areas. I highly doubt that I would do that with children tagging along.

Hi, I just wanted to comment that having travelled to Cuba myself recently, we have found Cuba not only to be very beautiful, and clean, but one of the safest Islands we have ever travelled to. We felt perfectly safe leaving the resort and taking public transit. The people are among the nicest we have met anywhere, they are a very proud people and though their houses/buildings may be falling apart due to lack of material for repairs...they where kept immaculately clean, you always saw people out sweeping the yards and the children were all scrubbed and clean.

I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to take my children there. As a matter of fact Cuba is the destination for the high school grad trip this year.

As a prior all-inclusive resort traveler, I have always been jealous that our Canadian neighbors got to experience the beautiful beaches/resorts in Cuba. I would love to see Cuba open to Americans - again, it is a choice people would make (as in any itinerary you chose) whether to go there or not - politics excluded.

As a prior all-inclusive resort traveler, I have always been jealous that our Canadian neighbors got to experience the beautiful beaches/resorts in Cuba. I would love to see Cuba open to Americans - again, it is a choice people would make (as in any itinerary you chose) whether to go there or not - politics excluded.

Cuba is open for Americans, U.S. tourists are welcomed and appreciated. All kinds of Americans vacation in Cuba - very discreetly :). My only advice for Americans who would like to visit Cuba, be very careful with your travel arrangements as the U.S. government is clamping down. The penalties can be extreme.

As much as I would love to visit Cuba, I don't want to "sneak" in or out. When I vacation, I want to go with a clear mind - not worrying about being arrested by my own government, etc. I guess I'll wait till the travel embargos are lifted- if they ever are!:)

I doubt this will make much difference in the near term but do you guys think that in a few years we might see Havana on the list of ports of call for Carnival?

It seems as though Havana would be convenient to pretty much all of the Gulf Coast home ports and, of course, Florida.

Cigar smokers unite!!! :D

Don't forget rum drinkers... Ahh to be able to bring home a bottle of Havana Club legally would be wonderful. I just wish someone would give me a rational explanation for the embargo. We engaged the Soviet Union, we engage China but Cuba is treated like ...Iran. Guess it's too complicated for me. Could it be......? Naaaa!

Don't forget rum drinkers... Ahh to be able to bring home a bottle of Havana Club legally would be wonderful. I just wish someone would give me a rational explanation for the embargo. We engaged the Soviet Union, we engage China but Cuba is treated like ...Iran. Guess it's too complicated for me. Could it be......? Naaaa!

I think what you want is a sensible explanation for the embargo. I do not think a sensible explanation has existed since the fall of the Soviet empire. A rational explanation does exist however and it has been discussed on this thread. A presidential candidate that proposes ending the embargo will face a political backlash in the state of Florida...a state that can win or lose a presidential election. A presidential candidate that pays no attention to the embargo at all risks nothing.

Well, My point? I want to get there before we have a chance to get in there like we have every other beautiful Caribbean country and before we have a chance to put an ugly McDonalds on the Malecon. Trust me. given the chance, we will ruin its quaint charms . And wouldn't you just love to see those 1955 Chevies and Fords that they have lovingly made their own parts to keep going. My friend has tons of pictures of them, and some of the beautiful areas around the country. Not all is as bad as some want you to believe. (Although, yes, I admit, there are still a lot of things which need very much improvement, and still a lot of poverty- Sorry to be so long. I don't post much any more. Hardly log on anymore. But couldn't resist posting on one of my most favorite subjects.

Karie

"We are not poor, we just don't have any money" This was quoted to us by a Cuban lady on our trip to Cuba in 2004. As we sat in are huge Volvo coaches surrounded by cameras, films, flash cards, phones and worries of credit cards and over drafts we began to wonder who had got it right.

Dispite the Castro influence and dictatorship, the people are charming and eager to learn about the outside world. At the moment in Havana and other larger towns modern technology in gradualy creeping in. Sitting in a bar in Trinidad and later in a Cuban only bar we bought local Cuban music,played live around the bars, on home poduced cd's.

This is a country which lives in the shaddow of earlier wealth and prosperity. Now many families live in crumbling French & Spanish grand houses and appartments.

Having lost out on the with drawel of Russia, the falling sugar market the country has put it self into the tourist industry for income. Doctors, engineers and all manor off professionals become tour guides so as to have a higher rate of pay and meet people from outside Cuba.

I would recommend anyone to get to Cuba before the big changes happen but don't just stay on the resorts. Socialy you will not mix with Cubans as unless they are working at the resort they are band from the complex's.

If you enjoy the food remember it is specialy produced for the tourist market. The man incharge of the cows, for the tourist market only, will be sent to prison for 20years if he looses it.

The Dictatorship will eventually come to an end, where the contry will but head, who can tell but the Miami maffia will be keeping a close eye on things. Hopefully Europe or South America will keep on building up trading links but what ever happens the country will not loose its charm.

Don't wait for a cruise just go. The first couple we spoke to as we stood in front of the Hotel National were from Mid America. They had come in via Canada, so there is away.

Like Karie we were besotted with Cuba- just don't start me on the vintage American cars, rum and the countries love of books I could bore you for hours.

Just as an a side, the way the children were dressed for school in smart gleeming white shirts, matching uniforms and smiles on their faces these were not kids who thought more of expencive trainers than school work.

They would give us a cheery wave and carry on with their games with out an adult in site.

Margaret

Archived