Spencer Ambrose tours????

Sgt. Jeff

We chose Spencer for a number of reasons. Because we are a group of 8, I had so many questions (I was asking for myself and other family members), he would answer those and then I would have more! I told him I was sorry about asking so many questions and he assured me not to apologize, to ask away. Believe me, we had numerous emails back and forth!! He was very professional, genuine with his answers and very quick to get back to me. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. I found him to be quite willing to communicate with me also. I 'm sure he will be wonderful!

Hello inai! I just noticed you were from Eastport NY....we are from East Moriches...small world, isn't it! We will be traveling at the end of April! I'm sure you will enjoy Spencer!

Small world isn't it! The internet is amazing! We speak to people from all parts of the world and also in our own backyard.

We are sailing out of NY on 3/24 and will arrive in St. Lucia on 4/2. Spencer Ambrose has been excellent in responding so quickly to my emails. We have reserved him and are looking forward to his tour. Can you tell me what is not to be missed on his tour, because I would like to cut some sights out so we can spend more time on the beach.

We are not beach people at home. I love the water but it's too cold for me here on Long Island. In the Caribbean, you can't get me out of the water.

Hello INAI! Thanks for your response. Maybe when you get back, you can send us an email to advise us on how your tour with Spencer went....by then you'll know what should be seen and what can be missed. Up til now, the only thing I was wondering is if we should skip the drive through volcano, since we wanted to spend more time at Jolouise. Most people said it is interesting for a one time deal, and only takes about 15 minutes. Other than that, I wasn't sure. I'm wondering since we will be touring a garden in Dominica, should we skip the Botanical Garden on St. Lucia. Maybe you could help us decide about that.

We'd like to see the beauty of the island, experience the fruits, local breads and villages, but the PITONS look breathtaking and that is our number one priority! The other tours only stay there about two hours and the people have commented they wish they could have stayed longer. Spencer will allow for more time there and that is exactly what we would like as well. You don't get to a beach like that everyday! So, if after you go, you could make a few recommendations, could you e-mail me? (mercur1o@optonline.net) Thanks so much!

Marianne

Thank you all for your advise on Spencer Ambrose. Convinced that we would like to tour with him.

We will be arriving in St. Lucia by cruise ship on April 2, 2008, tendering after 7:00 am and leaving at 6:00 pm.

Spencer quoted us a tour for $140 total. If more people go on this tour then the price per person is reduced.

Is there anyone in CC-land that would be arriving on 4/2/08 who is interested in sharing this tour?

Ina

We are arriving on the Jewel on April 3. What type of tour are you interested in? We like to stay away from the typical tourist places and get some "local color".

michalanajon:

We are looking to do the same tour as you. We are more interested in Jalousie and the Pitons. But, the drive thru volcano is only 15 minutes, so it shouldn't take much of a bite out of our day. We are still deciding about that. We probably will not go to the waterfall. It really doesn't look that impressive and will cut into our Jalousie time.

Too bad we are not in St. Lucia at the same time. Seems that we like the same things. I will post and email you when we get home. We are sailing on the QM2 13 day Panama/Caribbean cruise. A first on Cunard for us. We only sail out of NY (DH won't fly) and liked the itinerary. We've done all the others out of NY.

We get home on 4/6/08. I'll post/email a few days later.

michalanajon, ltlfeat and anyone else who is interested in this tour:

This is the response I received from Spencer Ambrose:

"Thanks for considering my tour and I promise you an enjoyable time you will remember for some time after. To maximize all our time we have to leave as early as you can get off the ship because time flies when you are having fun. We drive for 1 hr in a westerly direction passing through several banana plantations where I will show you some interesting things about our major export crop. then through 2 fishing villages and through different sites along the way. On arrival in the town of soufriere we can head straight for Jalousie beach or we head for the Botanical gardens and waterfalls then the Sulphur Springs, the Caribbean's only drive-in volcano, its dormant, don't worry its our biggest tourist attraction on island, then we head for jalousie where you get to spend the rest of your time on the beach snorkeling in one of the best beaches where you can capture all sorts of marine life. Its up left to you if you want to leave out visiting the sites . I included it as a total package so choose what you want to do. At the beach you can use the beach chairs for a fee of $20.00 us, also there is a restaurant where you can get eats & drinks. I will provide bottled water for everyone, including some sodas, our local beer and other beverages free. You and your family will be in safe hands and I have been doing this since 1994 and never had a problem. If it will make you feel better am an ex-cop of 10 yrs service, I had to resign the job after I got married cause my wife couldn't handle the long hours. I have worked the whole island and am well known in all circles island wide. the tour is about 5 hrs and we need 1 hr to get back by 4.00 pm. .P>S If you don't want the drinks mentioned please give me your choice of drinks.

The tour will cost you $140.00 US and that's unbeatable. At the sulphur springs, you need $5.00us entrance fee, at the botanical garden/waterfall you need $2.00 us each and that's all you need, entry at Jalousie is already taken care of by me.

I have no tours yet for that day so I will be Available. Feel free to ask all questions you might have I will be very please to assist you. PLease confirm."

Spencer Ambrose quoted someone else $120 for the day, but when I respectfully tried to get that same price, he said it was an error and as an honorable man he would uphold the price he gave them. But, he said that he needs to cover his costs, so $140 it is, for the total cost of the tour whether you have 2 or 8 people. I also requested that he stop to pick us up some casta bread that was recommended by NoNoNannette.

ltlfeat:

Do you dock or do you tender? What time do you leave? We leave at 6:00 pm, but must be back earlier to tender back to the ship. We would enjoy your company. Maybe, we can work out the details. Do you like the beach and snorkeling? And, looking for the beautiful Pitons view?

We feel the same way about all the touristy places and so, that is why we picked Spencer Ambrose.

Ina

ltlfeat:

I also see that you are new to the Cruise Critic posts, by only having 5 posts.

WELCOME to all the information right at your fingertips.:D

Ina

ltlfeat:

I just noticed you will be arriving on the Jewel on 4/3, not 4/2, so unfortunately our paths will not cross on land, maybe only at sea.:confused:

Sorry

Ina

Hello inai! I just noticed you were from Eastport NY....we are from East Moriches...small world, isn't it! We will be traveling at the end of April! I'm sure you will enjoy Spencer!

Michalanajon,

Yes, we would love to join you on the tour. There are 4 of us and we are fun loving partying folk from Fla. Our email is sruhl@tampabay.rr.com. We are docking @ 8:00am on the Jewel.

Sounds like we enjoy the same things.

Let us know if we can join in the fun!!

Steve

ltlfeat:

I also see that you are new to the Cruise Critic posts, by only having 5 posts.

WELCOME to all the information right at your fingertips.:D

Ina

thanks for the welcome, Inai!! Just stumbled on this forum and love it. We try to cruise @ least once / year. Been all thru a Carribean. Hope for Med. next.

Fair weather to you always

ltlfeat

Hi ltlfeat!!!.....Michalanajon here.....I think the dates are getting a bit confused. Didn't you say you would be there on 4/2 or 4/3? We will be there at the end of April. Sorry it couldn't work out, but hope you enjoy your time there! I can't wait!!!!

Yes, I believe ltlfeat has the days mixed up. We will be in St. Lucia on 4/2 not on 4/3. And, yes, I will take some notes and email/post on our experience with Spencer Ambrose's tour when we get back.

Only 16 days until we sail.

Ina

Hello Inai, we were on the identical QM2 cruise back in February and as part of our tour visited the waterfall/botanical gardens. If beach interests you more, then waterfall is definitely not worth going to see. As many have said the sulphur springs is only a short time bite, although I would say it takes 30 minutes (not 15) in total, but worth it.

Enjoy much!

Does anyone know whether Spencer has multiple vans like Herod and Cosol? We don't necessarily want to be part of a caravan that is tied to a particular itinerary....we want to be a little more flexible than that.

My husband & I were interested in using Spencers services on Mar 25 as we will be in St Lucia on that day. We are cruising the Celebrity Constellation. Is anyone interested in his services & share expenses. We are interested in slight tour of the island & definitely spending time on Jalousie Beach & possibly another beach. We dont want to be stuck in a van for the majority of the tour & think that Spencer can offer more of what we individually may want. You can email me at clf@nconnect.net if you may be interested.

I waited too long to commit & spencer is not available on the day that we are in St Lucia, but he has offered his brothers services. We have heard alot of Spencer on what a wonderful guy he is, but has anyone used his brother. Is he comparable? friendly? If anyone has used his services, can you comment?

I waited too long to commit & spencer is not available on the day that we are in St Lucia, but he has offered his brothers services. We have heard alot of Spencer on what a wonderful guy he is, but has anyone used his brother. Is he comparable? friendly? If anyone has used his services, can you comment?

When will you be in St. Luci?. Maybe, you can hook up with others on that day that want to share his van? Unless, a large group booked him first.

we are in st lucia on thur 3/27 - (I made an error on one of my other posts) Spencer said he has a party of 4 for a private excursion so I understood that as no others may join. That is why he offered his brothers services-just wondering if anyone has used this?

Allow me to jump in here. :)

I had the pleasure of meeting Spencer's brother. He seemed like a lovely man.

I can ASSURE you that Spencer isn't going to ruin his relatively "new" reputation as a tour guide by sending you with someone who isn't going to delight you.

He's quite aware of these Cruise Critic boards, and would never do anything to upset a Cruise Critic member, or create a stir on these boards.

Personally, If Spencer told me to go with the "Man in the Moon", I'd do so. He runs a great operation, he is professional, and I trust his judgment completely. ;)

Allow me to jump in here. :)

I had the pleasure of meeting Spencer's brother. He seemed like a lovely man.

I can ASSURE you that Spencer isn't going to ruin his relatively "new" reputation as a tour guide by sending you with someone who isn't going to delight you.

He's quite aware of these Cruise Critic boards, and would never do anything to upset a Cruise Critic member, or create a stir on these boards.

Personally, If Spencer told me to go with the "Man in the Moon", I'd do so. He runs a great operation, he is professional, and I trust his judgment completely. ;)

DITTO!

• 2 weeks later...

My hubby & I just got back from the Princess Emerald 2 weeks ago. We used Spencer Ambrose in St Lucia & we loved him. He was ready & waiting for us outside the cruise terminal. He spent the entire day with just the two of us. He was very attentive, took us to all the places we wanted to go and left us on the beach at Jalouise with a cooler full of local beer, pop & water (thtat he supplied). The resort was wonderful with great snorkeling. We highly recommend using Spencer. He e-mailed us last week to thank us for using him. He has a beautiful new vehicle and we felt very safe with him. I tend to get car sick so he let me sit in the front with him. He always opened the door for me. :D

Thanks soooo much!!! This makes me feel happy!!!

Now must decide who to go w on all other stops!!!

How much did you tip Spencer? Don't want to look cheap!

What other ports are you visiting?

I can turn you onto guys/gals in Curacao, Belize City, Grenada and Dominica..... let me know. :)

Archived