overnight in bayone nj?

abbypa

:) :) hello . my family and i are going on the explorer of the seas in feb. 1 2009. im thinking that it might be smart to stay over night (sat) in the bayone area. we live in pa. 90 min from new york city. i dont wanna miss our cruise. would this be an option for us or am i being paronoid? where are some nice hotels that have good prices? thank you very much.

Abby:)

In my opinion, 90 minutes is not that far. I would recommend maybe waiting till the week of the cruise, and checking on the forecast. If there is a chance of snow or other weather that could make driving difficult then maybe book a room at any of the nearby hotels. Just my opinion, I would save the money you would spend on a hotel and use it for onboard.

:) :) hello . my family and i are going on the explorer of the seas in feb. 1 2009. im thinking that it might be smart to stay over night (sat) in the bayone area. we live in pa. 90 min from new york city. i dont wanna miss our cruise. would this be an option for us or am i being paronoid? where are some nice hotels that have good prices? thank you very much.

Abby:)

Abby, you are being paranoid. ;) I assume that you don't live too far from me. I have cruised out of Bayonne several times, and we ALWAYS drive up that day. If you are worried, just leave really really really early in the morning. :)

I am cruising for the first time in July. I live about 4.5 hours from NJ and it is very doable for me to drive but I am also a paranoid person so I will drive up the night before. I plan on staying in Elizabeth at one of the 4 motels on Glimcher Realty Drive (Road)? because I will be travelling with teen nieces. We can get there the day before and from megr1125's recommendation on this board, there is also a shopping mall across the street to keep the girls occupied the day we arrive and a Ruby Tuesday's situated among the hotels or we can just eat at the food court at the mall if the girls so desire.

Ninety minutes isn't really that far away, so for you, good luck in whatever you decide! Have a great time.

we live in Pa too, we never go to Newark the day we fly or in your case cruise, I just don't trust the traffic jams. We have stayed at the Hampton Inn, Hilton and the Sheraton Newark airport, the one we liked the best and have stayed many time is the Sheraton.

I totally agree with checking the weather report for that decision. We are going on the same cruise. Feb 1,2009 and live in south Jersey. Probably about 2 hrs away or so, but we too may stay up there the day before. I am all about making things simpler....

We stayed at the Best Western Newark Airport and couldn't have been happier. They provided a shuttle to the cruise terminal for $10, a bargain, and gave great and friendly service in every aspect. A very nice hotel at a great rate (and I'm a cheapskate with high standards!). they also offer a shuttle to the train station that will take you into NYC, which was convenient and dependable.

We always drive in the day of the cruise; we are an hour from the port, right on the border of NJ / PA in Phillipsburg.

I wouldn't stay overnight simply because of what I experienced cruising on the Nov 4th sailing of Explorer....

The ship was late coming in and we couldn't board until after 7pm, and didn't leave until midnight.

My husband and i were lucky enough to have seen the info here that the ship was going to be late arriving, so we checked into things w/ the cruiseline and found out it was true. So, instead of arriving early, we went later. It was very cold outside, and even when we got there at 8:30 pm there were people standing outside freezing! We sat in the car for 30 minutes and then got right on when the line was gone.

Being close gives you that option. If it would have been snowy weather, I would have left early and then just hung out in a mall or somewhere closeby to wait it out. So, it can work either way for you.

If I'd stayed overnight, I would have been kicked out of my room by 10am, and then had all that time to either wait in the cold or hang out somewhere.

We stayed at the Best Western Newark Airport and couldn't have been happier. They provided a shuttle to the cruise terminal for $10, a bargain, and gave great and friendly service in every aspect. A very nice hotel at a great rate (and I'm a cheapskate with high standards!). they also offer a shuttle to the train station that will take you into NYC, which was convenient and dependable.

Thanx for the BW report! I have been considering them for our overnight before the cruise.

Was the $10 shuttle charge per person or couple or what (we are 2a & 2c)?

Also they have a "Stay and Cruise" room for $155 that includes the shuttle to the cruise terminal. Did you do this or just hotel room separate from the shuttle?

Archived