Voyager/Galveston questions

judgemom

First of all this site has kept me busy. So informative......

I have a lot of questions, and I don't want to post in different sections....soo

If any of you have went out of Galveston I would love to ask some port questions, and also to any Voyager passengers that went to Roatan, Coz and Progresso.

This will be my first cruise and I have more questions than Carter....well you know the rest.....

Can anyone tell me how to email a member here?

Sailing April 20....:)

Welcome to CruiseCritic first of all. Specific questions will be answered...that's what this is for! We just got off the Voyager doing your itinerary in January, a mostly great cruise! There were a few disappointments, but lots of awesome moments. Are you taking kids? Drinkers? Snorklers? Everyone has different priorities on a cruise. It's just not clear what your concerns are.

Judgemom, If you go to the rollcall for the date of your cruise we have a lot of information that will probably answer a lot of your questions. If they don't we will be happy to answer any questions you have. We have a great group of people over there and would be very happy for you to join us. We would also like for you to join our Meet & Mingle.

If I can help you, let me know.

Thank you all for your replies....I've tried to compose a list of questions, but sure I will have more.....

1. The best time for check in at the port in Gal?

2. How is the traffic near the port and parking? Is it pure H**L? :confused:

3.We will be coming in from the ferry side of Galveston, possibly Sunday morning. Has anyone arrived from that area, and if so how is the ferry wait on Sunday mornings?

4. S&S........Do we get this once onboard? Where?

5. Is the ice show tickets the only ones we need to get, or do we need to get in other lines as well?

6. We won't be attending formal nights as my DH is dead set on bringing a suit. (A little info about this)......DH is a gas plant super. He NEVER vacations, I DO......he is married to his work....And believes the plant cannot work without him...(he's actually right)........This cruise was HIS idea....for relaxation...soooooo I'm not about to make him pack a suit....

Do they have any tables for 2 in the dining room? For regular nights of course....

7. I will post this on the ports forum but ask here as well......Are there snorkel vests for the Tabyana beach RCI excursion?

I'm sure I'll have more questions....:rolleyes::o

Thanks a bunch,

Marsha

Thank you all for your replies....I've tried to compose a list of questions, but sure I will have more.....

3.We will be coming in from the ferry side of Galveston, possibly Sunday morning. Has anyone arrived from that area, and if so how is the ferry wait on Sunday mornings?

5. Is the ice show tickets the only ones we need to get, or do we need to get in other lines as well?

6. We won't be attending formal nights as my DH is dead set on bringing a suit. (A little info about this)......DH is a gas plant super. He NEVER vacations, I DO......he is married to his work....And believes the plant cannot work without him...(he's actually right)........This cruise was HIS idea....for relaxation...soooooo I'm not about to make him pack a suit....

Do they have any tables for 2 in the dining room? For regular nights of course....

7. I will post this on the ports forum but ask here as well......Are there snorkel vests for the Tabyana beach RCI excursion?

Thanks a bunch,

Marsha

Hi Marsha...Lets see,

Depends on many things,concerning boarding time.Most days by 11-1130...We were on the Ill fated (lol) fog cruise...And we have been having a lot of fog....But baring any issues like that,the port is a breeze,traffic is minimal...If you are parking,try to be there by about 1030...You may not get right in...But it wont be long..The boarding process is quite easy and efficient...Goes quickly,during this process where you show your ID (have your setsail filled out on line,and printed)...You will get your sea pass card during this as well.

Ferry should be fine Early in the AM....when are you going??? If its Spring Break or anything like that,you may have delays..And don't forget FOG!:p

The Ice Show is the only thing you need tickets for...Get there about 15 min before the posted time to pick up..As the line forms quickly,and they start handing out early.

Don't worry about Formal night....Have fun at Johnny Rockets or the Windjammer...Or heck...go to the DR if you want.

Usually to get a table for 2 you have to request this early(when you book)...There are few..Visit the Maitre D' as

soon as you board.

Yes,Tabyana has snorkel vest..

Have a great time...:)

First of all this site has kept me busy. So informative......

I have a lot of questions, and I don't want to post in different sections....soo

If any of you have went out of Galveston I would love to ask some port questions, and also to any Voyager passengers that went to Roatan, Coz and Progresso.

This will be my first cruise and I have more questions than Carter....well you know the rest.....

Can anyone tell me how to email a member here?

Sailing April 20....:)

Here is the link to your Roll Call. You can get to know other CCers on your cruise and read how they are handling the "pre-cruise questions". It's a great place to get information and to know your fellow cruisers. Please link up with them here:

Thank you so much for the valuable information.......I can now take those off of my worry list....lol.....and add a few things to it......

Any suggestions on the best excursions for first timers?

My DH is planning on just relaxing....I'm NOT...;)

That is why I asked about the vest at Tabyana....he doesn't swim...but maybe I can convince him......shoot he doesn't even like water, which is why I'm so excited that he even wants to cruise...He won't float down the Guadaloupe....sp? haha

Is there anything else to do at Tabyana? Could we walk to the West End Beach? Ziplining is out....I can't leave DH behind...

I am still undecided about Progresso. I do want to tour "something" but just not sure what.... From what I've heard the beaches are similar to the Louisiana Texas beaches, and well I live on one now so the beaches there aren't on my list....I DO want to see the beaches in Roatan and Coz though.

Want to make sure I have time to shop at each port as well...Would these be near the ports? Or just take a taxi once I get back from ..... wherever...

I know....I'm full of questions.....

oh....do they all accept US currency?

Everyone on that route excepts US currency..If you venture out too far in Progresso,you may run into a problem...

Really the only other thing to do at Tabyana if not a water activity is chill out,drink beer...read and enjoy the beautiful scenary...Not sure about the walk to West Bay...There is another thread,I will link you too it discussing what to do/not do in Progresso..

Think about Victor Bodden,a private operater in Roatan...He will customize a trip for you..Shopping,site seeing and beach..At your pace.

Cozumel is so versatile...good shopping,good eating..Swim with Dolphins,see intersting history..A great Mexican Cuisine Cooking class.Parasailing,Dune Buggies...Horseback riding...beach...There is a lot to choose from there...

Thanks a bunch,

Marsha

We drove to Galveston via the ferry. They had three or four ferries operating, and it was not bad. We had about a 20 minute wait to get on, then it's about a 20 minute ride across the channel. Once on the island, it was just about 3 or 4 miles to the terminal area, with very little traffic.

If they have another severe fog incident, so that everyone's arriving for the ships before they've unloaded passengers from the previous week, all bets are off. If that's the case, just bring your patience and know that you'll soon be chilling out on a cruise ship and the hassle will be but a memory.

On ice show tickets, I had heard some stories of lines for tickets, so when they announce the first time for picking up tickets, I tried to be there right at the start. There was no line at all. They had stacks of tickets and were immediately handing them out to those who came by. It was not a problem at all.

I am so excited.......and you all are such a big help....

Hubby won't mind my ziplining....I just don't want to leave him alone waiting for me to finish....How would he get to the end? and how much time does it take....

I know, I should post this somewhere else.....

In Roatan I think Tabyana through RCI will be our best bet....But at almost 2 months away, I may change my mind;) ....I would like to do some other types of water sports....and not sure if Tabyana offers those... but soooooo happy it has the snorkel vests....

Is the shopping area of Roatan near the port? Walking distance or taxi.....

In Coz we are just stuck...probably will take some type of tour.....Beach, Carlos and Charlies....then shopping.....although DH would like to maybe do the dune buggy thing....He first wanted to 3 wheel....but site says hes too old....53....Have to be under :eek: 50???? go figure.....Harley tour is now out of the question, I've heard too many bad things about the drivers over there....lol

Decisions, sheesh

You guys are GREAT

judgemom,

We were on a B2B cruise in January on the Voyager so we visited Cozumel twice. We took the ships ATV tour on the firsts cruise and the bottom fishing on the second cruise. Both tours were great and would do them again.

In Progresso we took the local bus system to Merida and saw the their Art Museum and the Catholic cathederal. We ate at a restaurant right across the street from the church. (great food). They were having Madi Gras when we were there so we had to leave early as they were shutting the streets down at 3 PM. The bus cost us $3.00 round trip. Information is on the ports of call boards and also the compass about where the bus station is located. We don't speak Spanish, but were with some friends that did. I think we would have been fine going on our own to Merida, but it was nice to have some that spoke some Spanish. After we came back to Progresso we went to a local bar called Buddy's and had nachos and beer. The bar was very clean and owned by a guy from Holland. There are lots of Americans that have settled in Progresso that live there year round. You can also buy alcohol in the shop, before you get back on the ship, cheaper than on the ship or any other port.

In Roatan you can shop within blocks of the ship. If you buy any T shirts make sure that you buy a size alot larger than normal as they will shrink up when they are washed and dried. Their XL became a medium after washing them. If you are wanting wood products this is a place to buy. You can bargain with the vendors and bring the price down. The items are beautiful as they are using several types of wood.

HI, Just wanted to chime in and suggest re-thinking your decision to dine alone. I LOVE sitting at a large table and meeting new people and hearing about other cruises and things to do at port stops. I have made many friends I still keep in touch with. I hope some day we can all go on a cruise together! Just MHO, have a great cruise!

HI, Just wanted to chime in and suggest re-thinking your decision to dine alone. I LOVE sitting at a large table and meeting new people and hearing about other cruises and things to do at port stops. I have made many friends I still keep in touch with. I hope some day we can all go on a cruise together! Just MHO, have a great cruise!

For breakfast and lunch it is easy to eat alone...but as Kittikat said joining a small group for dinner is a nice experience. We met wonderful folks on 2 of our prior cruises...last cruise our trio ended up with a table for 4 made up for 3, which was thoughtful of dining staff. Boy did I get bored last evening when DD and DW went to cabin seasick due to the 20' seas we were plying. (Thankfully the two ladies at table for 2 behind me and the 4 folks next to our table all were kind enough to speak with me...I did eat fast and finish up, but just the same it was definitely a bit boring literally alone at the table.) The DR was kind of empty that evening anyhow.

Well I have to say thank you again....

Rancher Dave, Kitticat, Colleen and you other kind people, I have gained so much knowledge a little at a time from you and by reading other posts....

I love wood so I will be sure to look in Roatan....

I think my DH is coming around....Hes getting into the spirit more, and I even mentioned signing up for Meet and Mingle....Maybe he won't be so much of an introvert, and want to eat with others...lol

I am just such a planner when it comes to vacations...But this is so overwhelming as it will be a first for us....I like to know everything about everything.....We go on summer vacations with other family members....And I am the one they rely on to "know" it all....From reservations to mapping out the route....

My gosh I can't wait!!!

For breakfast and lunch it is easy to eat alone...but as Kittikat said joining a small group for dinner is a nice experience. We met wonderful folks on 2 of our prior cruises...last cruise our trio ended up with a table for 4 made up for 3, which was thoughtful of dining staff. Boy did I get bored last evening when DD and DW went to cabin seasick due to the 20' seas we were plying. (Thankfully the two ladies at table for 2 behind me and the 4 folks next to our table all were kind enough to speak with me...I did eat fast and finish up, but just the same it was definitely a bit boring literally alone at the table.) The DR was kind of empty that evening anyhow.

Hey DAve, just noticed your signature--did you win the horns on ebay?????? if so, WHAT are you going to do with them? I just love the pictures of your longhorns.

HOOK EM HORNS.

Judgemom--good luck to you. By the way--hubby doesn't have to wear a suit in the DR on formal night--more and more folks don't dress to the nines & it seems to be ok. I am not familiar with Portofinos--do you have to wear a suit there?

Hey DAve, just noticed your signature--did you win the horns on ebay?????? if so, WHAT are you going to do with them? I just love the pictures of your longhorns.

HOOK EM HORNS.

Judgemom--good luck to you. By the way--hubby doesn't have to wear a suit in the DR on formal night--more and more folks don't dress to the nines & it seems to be ok. I am not familiar with Portofinos--do you have to wear a suit there?

Yes we did win, or agreed to pay more than anyone else...for the horns, the flags, and a cruise.

The Horns will end up at the Ranch for display on occasion. I may chat with my Hook 'em friends at my alma matter about displaying them at selected games, maybe in exchange for field passes...I enjoyed my Senior year as part of the EMS crew for the stadium I was on the field which was fun. Even met up recently with one of the cheer leaders from back then...she was at the time in sales...it has been a few years since I last saw her even though she lives nearby with her DH and DD...

Also, planning a Horns first display party of sorts to help benefit the same charity and help the kids the charty takes care of enjoy a day of fun. If you are interested go to my main page and be sure to note something about the horns party and CC in the subject line when you send me an email....I get so much spam if it doesn't catch my eye it probably goes overboard like a drunk Spring Breaker...:D

Fellow Louisiana cruiser here on your sail date. You guys are going to have a great time and it is a great time of the year to sail out of the gulf region. Seas have calm down and the Caribbean is warm, but not hot.

Going across the ferry is easy and painless. If you pre-arrange your parking you can save money. We use ezcruiseparking.com.

As far as dining, please think about not missing formal night, as it is a great time and the best menus are featured on those nights. The first formal night is beef tenderloin and the second is lobster. Compromise and get your husband to agree to go to one night. I think often first time cruisers think it is really going to "upscale"....but the experience is relaxing and not uptight at all....We personally love Portifino's and would never miss that experience at least once on our cruise. Idea....the other formal night you don't get him to agree to go, make your reservations for Portofino's....The first formal night will be Monday and the second will be Thursday...

Relax and know you are going to have a fun time on a beautiful ship with a great cruise line....

Hope this information helps,

Colleen, DH really wanted to do the ATV tour...But RCI states that one cannot be over 50 to participate :rolleyes: ...He is 53...Doesn't make sense to us at all... We ride in the pasture and on the beach A LOT...

Brenda, that is good to hear about the dining room on formal nights.... DH is taking a nuetral color jacket and of course kahkis...Sounds like we just might do formal....:)

Bulldog Momma, what region of La are you from? We live as far south and as far west as you can get in La. Right where hurricane Rita hit...

Are you signed up for M&M? I just did, whether or not we will make it is not decided yet, but we are signed up....

Marsha

Colleen, DH really wanted to do the ATV tour...But RCI states that one cannot be over 50 to participate :rolleyes: ...He is 53...Doesn't make sense to us at all... We ride in the pasture and on the beach A LOT...

Brenda, that is good to hear about the dining room on formal nights.... DH is taking a nuetral color jacket and of course kahkis...Sounds like we just might do formal....:)

Bulldog Momma, what region of La are you from? We live as far south and as far west as you can get in La. Right where hurricane Rita hit...

Are you signed up for M&M? I just did, whether or not we will make it is not decided yet, but we are signed up....

Marsha

So you must be from the Cameron area....my best friend's brother's businesses suffered in Rita. I am originally from SE Louisiana, my family was effected by Katrina...brother lost his home in MS, sister's camp in Grand Isle was effected and my parents (Lafourche Parish) decided to move close to me in Carencro, LA. We live in Lafayette Parish and both my husband and I work for the LA staple famous seasoning company "Tony Chachere's"....we are signed up for M&M. You are going to love RCCL....they really give you a nice cruising experience. Sometimes on these boards people focus on negatives and pick apart food choices, etc. but I have always been of the opinion to focus on the good aspects of my cruises as they have ALWAYS outweighed the bad. Even my "worse" cruise was better than a day in the office!

I always like to tell new cruisers as far as dining room choices go, if you do not favor something you thought would be to your liking, kindly ask for a replacement, your server will be happy to help....oh, yeh, and we always carry our travel size Tony's....the waiters always steal them from us....so we bring one for every night!:)

Happy Cruisin',

Archived