Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Same here. Why us - I booked this trip 6 months ago or more - luckily I live in Seattle so able to leave a day earlier to get business class. But means an extra hotel night in Vancouver.

Now I will have a full day there and I'm trying to make plans for a tour. I thought the cycle city tour looked great but don't know about the $85 per person charge. Does anyone know if there are coupons out & if so how I can get one? I couldn't find any discount codes on the internet.

Trip advisor lists Tour Guys as the #1 tour, I wish I could go with them but the day I have is Monday & no tours offered.

Will appreciate any advice.

Not sure of why they are changing eqiupment but I believe that the Cascades is the only route on Amtrak that uses that equipment and like all things mechanical it needs regular maintenance - as for not having a lounge or cafe car - Amtrak is so short of rolling stock it is lucky at times that they have enough to service their long haul routes.

Also I am pretty sure that the coach cars that they will be using will only have one level and if I remember correctly there are either two or three seats together on each side.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

We are on MST for half the year and PST for half the year

Are you sure about that? I can't think of any locations in north America that switch between pacific and mountain times. Remember that most locations switch between standard time and daylight time; so if you stay on standard time, it appears you're switching time zones, but in fact, you're staying the same when everyone else switches to daylight time.

More likely is that you'd stay on MST (UTC-7) year round (like for example Fort St John), which in the summer is the same as PDT (Pacific DAYLIGHT Time also UTC-7), meaning in the winter you're the same as Calgary but in the Summer you're the same as Vancouver.

Just a heads up to the Vancouverites posting on here - the White Spot at Georgia and Seymour has now closed for the redevelopment of the Telus site.

Cheers

Dennis

Duly noted, I used to bank at the RBC branch that was there before the White Spot....I wonder if Telus will have White Spot as a tenant in the new facility, my guess is that it is a pretty good location for them but the rent will be expensive.

You are right, of course, we stay on MST all year. But for half the year (summer months) we have the same time as PST.

MST (Mountain Standard Time, UTC-7) is never the same as PST (Pacific Standard Time, UTC-8);

MST is however the same as PDT (Pacific Daylight Time, also UTC-7), the time zone used by most of western North America in the summer...

Sorry, it's one of those things I need to deal with at work. I'll be a happy camper when the world gives up on time zones and just uses a single timezone. Going to work at 9 is just a number, it could just as well be 2 or 14.

Hi

Have seen so many beautiful pics of Vancouver, where do you think the best spots are for picture taking. I am a mountain person! We will have a rental car.

Also, I am looking for a 3 star hotel..between Vancouver and the airport. Suggestions?

Will be dropping the rental car back at the airport...and then heading to Ballantyne Pier. Is the taxi my best option? thanks for the help!

There aren't any mountains around Vancouver until you go north, passed Stanley Park. These are the mountains you see in the backdrop of most photos of Vancouver.

MST (Mountain Standard Time, UTC-7) is never the same as PST (Pacific Standard Time, UTC-8);

MST is however the same as PDT (Pacific Daylight Time, also UTC-7), the time zone used by most of western North America in the summer...

Sorry, it's one of those things I need to deal with at work. I'll be a happy camper when the world gives up on time zones and just uses a single timezone. Going to work at 9 is just a number, it could just as well be 2 or 14.

Fine. Whatever. I'm just happy I never have to adjust my clock. :)

Edited by reefgirl

Fine. Whatever. I'm just happy I never have to adjust my clock. :)

I agree we go to a lot of effort not to have to change the clocks. We leave Vancouver in late October (PDT) come to AZ (MST) and then return to Vancouver in mid-April (PDT). We find that this really saves the finger tips, what not having to adjust watches and clocks never mind mental fatigue having to get them all in sync. The only trouble we have is watching Canuck home games that begin at 8 pm MST.....I was thinking of writing the NHL and see if they would have them start at 6pm PST so that I could watch them at 7pm MST ..... after all it is only a number and what is more important then my personal convenience.;)

Now for a money question. Do I need to try to obtain some Canadian $ to take care of such things as tips and taxis for the two days we will be in Vancouver?

Just happened to think of this today. I also noted the exchange rate which is in your favor.

Many thanks for all your help.

Becky

Now for a money question. Do I need to try to obtain some Canadian $ to take care of such things as tips and taxis for the two days we will be in Vancouver?

Just happened to think of this today. I also noted the exchange rate which is in your favor.

Many thanks for all your help.

Becky

The short answer is, NO.

Now for the long answer; the US dollar widely accepted in Vancouver and Victoria as a courtesy to our American cousins. About the only places that you will need CDN funds is on public transit and if you are purchasing postage at the Post Office. If using SkyTrain, the Canada Line and SeaBus there are machines that will take many US credit cards and ATM cards. However, keep your US bills small as you will likely receive your change in CDN funds.

About how long does it take to reach the Lion Bridge from Canada Place? We'll be on the Island Princess in May.

Can't wait!!!:D

Depending upon traffic, about 10 to 15 mins but you will start to see it within minutes of leaving Canada Place. Another highlight is me waiving to you:D, I will be on the starboard side about an hour after you pass under the Lions Gate.

Depending upon traffic, about 10 to 15 mins but you will start to see it within minutes of leaving Canada Place. Another highlight is me waiving to you:D, I will be on the starboard side about an hour after you pass under the Lions Gate.

That sure was quick - you must have been waiting for my question! :D

I'll be sure to tell everyone on my roll call to wave to you! We're supposed to meet on the forward "secret" viewing area/balcony on the Island's Baja deck for sailaway. My plan is to tell my husband about the great pictures he'll be able to get from there - he'd probably opt to skip it if I tell him it is a meet-n-greet with people I met online!

That sure was quick - you must have been waiting for my question! :D

I'll be sure to tell everyone on my roll call to wave to you! We're supposed to meet on the forward "secret" viewing area/balcony on the Island's Baja deck for sailaway. My plan is to tell my husband about the great pictures he'll be able to get from there - he'd probably opt to skip it if I tell him it is a meet-n-greet with people I met online!

That secret deck is not very large so I would suggest that you would want to head to the deck right after your muster drill.

That secret deck is not very large so I would suggest that you would want to head to the deck right after your muster drill.

Would the Caribe deck forward area be better? It's early yet & we can always change our plans. There aren't very many of us talking on the RollCall and no idea how many may try to meet.

Thanks for all your help.

Would the Caribe deck forward area be better? It's early yet & we can always change our plans. There aren't very many of us talking on the RollCall and no idea how many may try to meet.

Thanks for all your help.

My recollection is that there isn't a huge difference between the decks and if the weather is good they will fill up quickly so don't dilly dally. I was on the Caribe a full hour before reaching the Panama Canal in the morning and space was already limited.

This picture will give you an idea of how far it is from Canada Place to the Bridge - a HAL ship is leaving from Canada Place and you can see the bridge ahead.

It was taken while I was onboard the NCL Star as we were leaving from Ballantyne Pier last Sept.

Cheers

Dennis

063.jpg.c91f3da58c729f7434c535ba49159981.jpg

Edited by Urban trekker

There aren't any mountains around Vancouver until you go north, passed Stanley Park. These are the mountains you see in the backdrop of most photos of Vancouver.

Thanks so much! Any suggestions for a 3 star hotel between downtown and the airport? We're coming in early to enjoy your city and renting a car.

Thanks so much! Any suggestions for a 3 star hotel between downtown and the airport? We're coming in early to enjoy your city and renting a car.

There really isn't much in the way of hotels between the airport and downtown....dowtown parking is going to run you about $23/$25 per night. You may be better off to stay at one of the hotels in Richmond, BC which is where YVR is located. From most of the hotels out there you are only 30 mins into the city. But here are links to a couple of hotels on Broadway which might be described as mid-town:

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/vancouver/yvrbw/hoteldetail

http://www.parkinn.com/hotel-vancouverca

You may also care to consider the Granville Island Hotel which is located on Granville Island and is situated between downtown and Broadway.

http://www.granvilleislandhotel.com/

I attended the Outdoor adventure travel, bike and golf shows yesterday at the convention center and lo and behold Amtrak had a booth there promoting the Amtrak Cascades so I was able to get the scoop on the change of train equipment -the gentleman I spoke with was very helpful especially after I told me how many Amtrak rewards point I have and about my upcoming trip to FLL. He has worked the trains and knows the equipment.

So here we go.

1. Why the change - equipment is being refurbish - updated lounge cars etc.

2. Late March to late May are the dates.

3. Coach cars all have 2 seats on each side - he stated he thinks those seats are actually better than the business class seats. Can help with this as I haven`t use this equipment.

4. As for boarding - business class is only loaded first in Seattle - not in Vancouver

5. THERE WILL BE FOOD SERVICE AVAILABLE.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

Ut; thanks for your diligent work and great information. I find point 3 interesting, obviously when you have 3 seats across vs 4 seats across you have less density in the car. My impression is that the seats in Biz are larger and have a beverage console between the seats. With regard to point 3, I could be wrong but as I recall Biz was loaded first in Vancouver...is this a change?

I know, don't shoot the messenger.;)

What do you intend to do in and around Vancouver? Parking can be both expensive and difficult, and as someone else pointed out, most downtown hotels charge (on top of the room) in the $20-25 range. You might find it's actually easier (and cheaper) w/o a car.

However, with a car, you're likely to get free parking at a hotel in Burnaby or Richmond (the area by the airport). The Executive Inn in Burnaby (Lougheed Hwy), is a decent place, has parking, and is fairly close to Gilmore Skytrain if you chose to take public transit (which does run right to Canada Place).